News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 878     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 353     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Speaking of Elm Street, I think we've seen these pics before, but not in this hi-res format from the TPL collection.

Elm Street Methodist Church (between Yonge and Bay; home church of Timothy Eaton), designed by Henry Langley:

1867:

pictures-r-3512.jpg

1954:

pictures-r-3470.jpg

1880:

pictures-r-3466.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks to thecharioteer for that photo showing The Dell - I've wanted to see the old place again ever since I went there as a youngster in 1951. I clearly remember it as a 'spaghetti house' where I could get a plateful (with butter sauce) for $.99

TNDell-Hasty1958-2012.jpg

I would suggest that it was for a combination of financial and aesthetic reasons. The fire was in 1928, and after the 1929 crash it would have been difficult to raise the funds to recreate the 1872 Langley design (notwithstanding the role of the Massey family in rebuilding the church). On an aesthetic level, it could be that the exuberance of the High Victorian design was out of favour with the design sensibilities of the Twenties.

From my recall of Bill Dendy's "Lost Toronto", there may also have been a shift in liturgical focus--from the auditorium style barnburner Methodism of the 1870s to more of an Anglo/Catholic nave'n'aisles cosmopolitanism in tandem w/the creation of the United Church of Canada in the 1920s...

From my recall of Bill Dendy's "Lost Toronto", there may also have been a shift in liturgical focus--from the auditorium style barnburner Methodism of the 1870s to more of an Anglo/Catholic nave'n'aisles cosmopolitanism in tandem w/the creation of the United Church of Canada in the 1920s...

Interesting. It puts the interior of the Elm Street Methodist Church, posted above, in a different light.

Then and Now for January 22, 2013.

The NW corner of Elm and University down through the years; inspired by thecharioteer's recent post.

NW corner of University and Elm.

On the left: Erskine Presbyterian Church [Built 1878, architect E. J. Lennox. Demolished?]. Lennox was only 24 when he received the commission to do this. On the right: McCaul Public School. Note the traffic control bollards - to funnel the traffic into one lane.

pictures-r-5364.jpg

It's 1958 now. You'll have to look at the right side of the picture for the location of our now gone church and school. Mount Sinai Hospital's Emergency Department can be glimpsed.

1097.jpg

January 21, 2013. It's still Mount Sinai Hospital, but has been modernized.

1098.jpg

Original (what a loss!):

pictures-r-5395.jpg

pictures-r-5445.jpg

Rebuilt:

2012528-church.jpg

A survivor of this type of interior can be seen in Trinity-St.Paul's United Church at Bloor and Robert (originally Trinity Methodist Church). Not quite sure about the modern colour scheme though....

pictures-r-163.jpg

Trinity-St-Pauls-United-Church_pbfphotocom_.jpg

Last edited:
thecharioteer, everyone: go back to page 248 of this thread to revisit some pictures of the Alexandra Apartments.

Just got to love that Nash Metropolitan sitting in front of the Bank of Montreal. It would make a great companion cruiser for that Sprite Frogeye from a couple of pages back. Not that they share anything other than very unique and endearing looks.

Paul

I came across these ancient fixtures in the Mensroom at Union Station today. This whole area is being renovated so I doubt they will be in use for much longer.

R0010603.jpg

Last edited:
Billy the Mountain, Tata's and Beer, Joes Garage, Live at Fillmores, Mudshark, Dynamo Hum... oh the memories, thank you J T. Saw him at M.L.G. on his Tour '80, he was playing from Sheik Yerbouti. Whatever happened to all the fun in the world? Life is just not the same without him.
Paul

Back