News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 946     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 359     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

GerrardStlkgSWtowardsElizabethStMaryJohnsrestaurantoncorner.jpg

I think this shot really shows how the bits of the Ward that remained into the 60s looked shabby, ramshackle, and basically small. especially compared with the building on the other side, TGH or Sick Kids?, which looks bright and modern. It would, and I say this as a heritage enthusiast, be nigh on impossible to make any sort of case for retaining the older buildings.

I wouldn't credit the idea of JT ever being a dull boy, Mustapha, regardless of the topics around here. ;)

Then and Now for January 14, 2013.

Then. 'Store and Office Building, Bloor and North Streets, C.J. Gibson, Architect.' c1920.

912BloorWestatBaySWc1920.jpg

Now. September 2012.

913.jpg

Then and Now for January 10, 2013.

Then. King and Dowling, NE corner. c1891. "Residence of Mr. Geo. Faulkner". A wwwebster sourced picture.

I printed my hardcopy of this picture; and without looking at Google streetview before going out last summer to take the Now picture, as is my wont, I fully expected to see one of those typical 50s Parkdale apartment buildings. Imagine my surprise...

905KingDowlingNEc1891.jpg

to find a wholly original untouched home.

You can scroll down now. :)

Now. July 2012.

906.jpg

No one answered my knock, so I took a few more, I think, unobtrusive pictures:

908.jpg

As its just round the corner from me, its apartments now but mostly still there, imagine the cost to convert it back?

photo-10.jpg

As its just round the corner from me, its apartments now but mostly still there, imagine the cost to convert it back?

I'm distracted by the car in your photo...

The price for that sort of work can vary tremendously, it depends on how badly the conversion and subdivision were done and to what state you want to restore it. If it's the simple matter of removing some added partition walls, taking out the extra kitchens and bathrooms, a bit of new drywall, some paint, and a good cleaning, it wouldn't be terrible as a basic "make good" reno. If, however, you wanted to completely restore it, and it's been stripped of most of its interior fittings, it could be well over $100k if not rounding the corner on twice that.

I'm distracted by the car in your photo...

The price for that sort of work can vary tremendously, it depends on how badly the conversion and subdivision were done and to what state you want to restore it. If it's the simple matter of removing some added partition walls, taking out the extra kitchens and bathrooms, a bit of new drywall, some paint, and a good cleaning, it wouldn't be terrible as a basic "make good" reno. If, however, you wanted to completely restore it, and it's been stripped of most of its interior fittings, it could be well over $100k if not rounding the corner on twice that.

Sounds like a job for Mike Holmes.

No! Mike Holmes doesn’t seem very sensitive to historic detail. Scott McGillivray (Income Property) might be a better choice. Or Eric Adelman who brought that Glen Rd. house a few pages ago back to life. Those original windows aren’t energy efficient, and the 123-year-old balcony railing doesn’t meet code (note the chicken wire installed to either keep critters out or people from falling off). On the other hand, those original elements probably bode well for what’s inside.

photo-10.jpg

Wonderful automobile; great colour (not British Racing Green) :).

Might it have originally come from British United Automobiles on Church Street?

Then and Now for January 15, 2013.

Then. Church and Shuter, NE corner. Residence of Dr. L. M. Sweetnam. c1891.

914ChurchShuterNEc1891.jpg

Now. August 2012.

915.jpg

No! Mike Holmes doesn’t seem very sensitive to historic detail. Scott McGillivray (Income Property) might be a better choice. Or Eric Adelman who brought that Glen Rd. house a few pages ago back to life. Those original windows aren’t energy efficient, and the 123-year-old balcony railing doesn’t meet code (note the chicken wire installed to either keep critters out or people from falling off). On the other hand, those original elements probably bode well for what’s inside.

Looks like a fair amount of rot on the railings, and I think we can call that "structural chicken wire".

As someone who's in the door and window business (licensed too, btw), I'd say in this case sacrificing a bit of energy efficiency for historical accuracy might not be a bad thing. Depending on the condition, the windows could be restored and have new gaskets fitted to cut down on air infiltration. New single hung units with double glazing would improve energy performance somewhat, but smaller insulated units perform relatively poorly (an R value of 3 or thereabouts), so making them air-tightish will deliver some improvement. I'll cry if someone puts in aluminum sliders, vinyl casements, or some other abomination.

New single hung units with double glazing would improve energy performance somewhat.... I'll cry if someone puts in aluminum sliders, vinyl casements, or some other abomination.

Didn't realize that you could get wooden single-hung double-glazed windows. Are they much more expensive than aluminum or vinyl?

Wonderful automobile; great colour (not British Racing Green) :).

Might it have originally come from British United Automobiles on Church Street?

nope...its RHD, came over with me from the UK, but I have seen an old Austin with a church st address dealer badge on its bootlid...must try and find it.

They didn't do these in BRG, just something called Leaf Green, great if you want to blend in on a field...Over there its a Frogeye (hence the plate), here its a Bugeye, you lot just had to be different !

file.jpg

Last edited:
Didn't realize that you could get wooden single-hung double-glazed windows. Are they much more expensive than aluminum or vinyl?

Custom can be expensive, from Pella/Anderson/etc, it's not all that expensive. A good quality wood window should outlast a vinyl one by years if not decades, assuming a reasonable amount of care and maintenance.

Back