News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.6K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 343     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 907     1 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

It's the weekend and I'll take some liberties and do some non-Toronto Then and Now.

I went to New York City awhile back; nothing special about that; anyways, I hope you enjoy this Then and Now.

Then. New York City Times Square, looking E. 1955.

6401955JaneRussellinUnderwaterpresentedbyHowardHughesM47and7th.jpg

Then. That night. :)

642.jpg

Now. December 2011.

641.jpg

Mustapha: Good Times Square/Manhattan comparison pictures here...

I like those 50s era pictures because it shows some of the "grittiness" that Times Square used to have...

Since the 1990s "clean-up" of the TS area it has changed substantially...

Good to see these NYC pics here in UT! LI MIKE

Mustapha: Good Times Square/Manhattan comparison pictures here...

I like those 50s era pictures because it shows some of the "grittiness" that Times Square used to have...

Since the 1990s "clean-up" of the TS area it has changed substantially...

Good to see these NYC pics here in UT! LI MIKE

Thanks LIMIKE, glad you enjoyed these.

Can't he still get the hot chicken sandwich in the dining room?
http://www.swisschalet.ca/our_menu_wsb.php

It's not on the downloadable Ontario menu:mad:
Must be a regional thing.

I think that's just the takeout menu.

Thanks guys. I'll check out the Chalets on Yonge and York Mills and Yonge and St. Clair. We ate at one in Niagara Falls last month but no hot chicken sandwich anywhere on the dining room menu.

I miss the McDonalds 'McRib' myself. I ate 4 in one sitting once. :)

Last edited:
Then and Now for July 13.

Then. 350 Christie Street. c1916. 'South and East Elevation. National Cash Register Company, Toronto. Page & Warrington, Architects, Toronto.'

672350ChristieStc1916.jpg

Now. April 2012. It's some kind of condo now. Quite the vast place the old 'NCR' factory was. I suppose manufacturing was more vertically integrated and 'in-house' in those days - they might have made and finished, never mind assembling, every part into a cash register inside that factory. Many years ago I drove through Lancaster Pennsylvania, and saw the old Hamilton watch factory (a condo now). It is a large imposing building too. Amazing when you think that the product - a watch - goes into your pocket or straps on your wrist.

673.jpg

A while back Moose said we could post a pic or two of our Toronto artifacts so I thought I'd add a couple.
After all it is the weekend. A kind of special ruler, a business card from my father, and a legend from the Canada Life weather tower.

DSCF3377.jpg

DSCF3378.jpg

I spent 20 years working in such industries owning my own business, and consulting for many more, in Canada, and two other continents. I've forgotten more research than most Canadians will ever know.

And how we can sit in here and talk about buildings without discussing the businesses that pay for them (sorry, and taxpayers), and sometimes their silly ignorant administrations, is a bit strange.

Well, here's an interesting hobby. Finding old cameras at flea markets and developing the film inside them.

http://anerdsworld.com/category/photographers-found-film-in-lost-camera-toronto/

Thanks for that link, Mustapha.
There seem to be many collectors of cameras with the films intact.
When they have the film processed there are delights and surprises to behold.
I can spend hours looking at those old snaps.
Here's another such site:
http://westfordcomp.com/updated/found.htm

Poker Assistant

Your photo of the Canada Life weather tower card reminded me of the card that has been in my wallet for 46 years (attached).
I always need this for my rare participation in a poker game.
I'd be lost without it.
Since I play only with other amateurs, the card is often passed around the table for others to study intently.
I know how long it's been with me because of the 1966 calendar on the reverse.

Attachments

• poker guide.jpg
    poker guide.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 272
A while back Moose said we could post a pic or two of our Toronto artifacts so I thought I'd add a couple.
After all it is the weekend. A kind of special ruler, a business card from my father, and a legend from the Canada Life weather tower.

DSCF3377.jpg

DSCF3378.jpg

Really like the typography on the ruler! Thanks for posting.

Back