News   May 08, 2024
 1.2K     2 
News   May 08, 2024
 1.2K     2 
News   May 08, 2024
 3K     3 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

"What's eerie is that after 70 years, the fire escapes are exactly the same... "
QUOTE adma.

After having "inspected" the new Victoria Street fence/gate to the rear of 10 Toronto Street yesterday

I doubt that the above will hold true for it. Instead of an "iron-work" affair, the installation is that of a

modern, steel, generic, powder-coated, one size cut-to-fit . . . After spending a great amount of time -

Time = $, on the property's restoration, one would think that same would be continued with the fencing.

Then there is the problem with the gate's "stone-work" pillars . . .

I expected more from Meighan & Company. (This is not the corporate name.)

Regards,
J T

Ahh the Selby, there used to be a patio out in front. Had a few beverages there at one time or other.

House didn't move (I presume); it was just "de-landscaped".

What's eerie is that after 70 years, the fire escapes are exactly the same...

And Russell Hill Drive was once a little different: http://data2.archives.ca/e/e431/e010757111-v8.jpg

... along several other streets in the area.

Grew up on Melgund, definitely not the same street on the map. It now goes East West from Bathurst to Wells Hill. I notice that our next house on Wychwood Ave (not Wychwood Park where Adam Vaughan grew up) was originally Bracondale

Grew up on Melgund, definitely not the same street on the map. It now goes East West from Bathurst to Wells Hill. I notice that our next house on Wychwood Ave (not Wychwood Park where Adam Vaughan grew up) was originally Bracondale

It looks like Melgund was extended to Bathurst and then when the part of Russell Hill Dr between St Clair and Walmer was eliminated (wonder when that was, and why?), the name of Lyndhurst was extended to the angled part of Melgund. Weird.

It looks like Melgund was extended to Bathurst and then when the part of Russell Hill Dr between St Clair and Walmer was eliminated (wonder when that was, and why?), the name of Lyndhurst was extended to the angled part of Melgund. Weird.

Don't know when, but Russel Hill Drive is now part of the Spadina Subway (Nordheimer Ravine)

It's the weekend and I'll take some liberties and do some non-Toronto Then and Now.

I went to New York City awhile back; nothing special about that; anyways, I hope you enjoy this Then and Now.

Then. New York City Times Square, looking E. 1955.

6401955JaneRussellinUnderwaterpresentedbyHowardHughesM47and7th.jpg

Then. That night. :)

642.jpg

Now. December 2011.

641.jpg

Met Harry Enchin today (Sat.) at the City Hall Outdoor Art Exhibit.
He has a fine display of his unique versions of Toronto "Then & Nows."
His exhibit was crowded with enthusiastic viewers.
His web site: http://torontomomentsintime.ca/
Worth a look.

Don't know when, but Russel Hill Drive is now part of the Spadina Subway (Nordheimer Ravine)

Those maps sometimes reflected just plans and not reality. It probably wasn't eliminated - it never existed.

Those maps sometimes reflected just plans and not reality. It probably wasn't eliminated - it never existed.

But then again, there's an Annexation map on the Toronto Archives website, with a drawing of new City Hall on it, and Russell Hill Drive through the valley is on it.

Was at the intersection of Weston Road and Sheppard Avenue West yesterday and noticed a new housing community and I could have sworn there used to be a plaza there. Perhaps I am wrong but does anyone have pics of what used to be there before the community now known as Westown.

Back