325     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 884     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

An excursion to Kingston Rd. today:

TNSilverDragon-KingstonRd.jpg

TNMontoroMotel-KingstonRd.jpg

TNKingstonRdatMorningside.jpg

Well then you better join the GTAMC (Greater Toronto Area Mustang Club). I have a 2010 Shelby GT500. No Choke required lol

IMG_1221.jpg

Back in the late 80 my boss had an older Lada that had a choke, so I have some experience with it ;)

The '500' stands for the number of ponies, right? That's an awful lot of horsepower. Nice ride. :)

The '500' stands for the number of ponies, right? That's an awful lot of horsepower. Nice ride. :)

Actually the 2010 MY has 540 HP, the 2011-12 MY has 550 HP and the latest 2013 MY has upped that to 662 HP. My 540 is certainly more then enough lol

JT, Goldie, the lemur; I was just fantasizing about the bridge's possibilities. :) That thing really is a relic.

That's true. There really is no reason why it shouldn't be eliminated, perhaps moved to a place where it would actually be useful and usable.

Right now it just connects nowhere to nothing much, and even then you can't actually use it as a bridge.

Seeing the restaurants in Goldie's recent post along Kingston Rd, has led me to a slightly odd question for those members here that recall an earlier Toronto. What was the "indigenous" cuisine? Or rather, what exactly could one expect to eat at a restaurant like the Glenvale shown in Goldie's third pair?

Might seem to be a strange question, but I grew up in the era of ethnic restaurants, fast food, the emergence of quality restaurants, etc.

Then and Now for July 12.

Then. 670 Austin Terrace. c1920

670AustinTerraceatLyndhurstNWc1920.jpg

Now. March 2012.

671.jpg

Is it really listed at 670 Austin Terrace? The numbers don't go anywhere near that high around there, and it seems that although the house faces onto Austin, it is actually designated as 58 Lyndhurst.

Seeing the restaurants in Goldie's recent post along Kingston Rd, has led me to a slightly odd question for those members here that recall an earlier Toronto. What was the "indigenous" cuisine? Or rather, what exactly could one expect to eat at a restaurant like the Glenvale shown in Goldie's third pair?

Might seem to be a strange question, but I grew up in the era of ethnic restaurants, fast food, the emergence of quality restaurants, etc.

I can answer that as my parents used to take me to that very eatery most Saturday mornings. Breakfast, traditional bacon and egg stuff, my personal favourite was a toasted western with home fries. Evening fare was more along the lines of steaks, burgers, spaghetti, meatloaf, hot hamburger or other open faced sandwiches, etc. etc. Good old home cooking really. Your choice of mashed baked or fried potatoes, a salad that was basically some iceberg lettuce and maybe a tomato wedge, with either french or thousand island dressing.
Nothing fancy, just good hot food.
Oh, and I also want to add thanks to Goldie for some good shots!

Thought I'd add a nice hot roast beef sandwich image,
openfacedroastbeefsandwich.jpg

Last edited:
Is it really listed at 670 Austin Terrace? The numbers don't go anywhere near that high around there, and it seems that although the house faces onto Austin, it is actually designated as 58 Lyndhurst.

Hi gang, sorry; JT emailed me about this too. '670' is actually my own 'catalog' number. It was late last night when I did this. :) Thanks the lemur.

I can answer that as my parents used to take me to that very eatery most Saturday mornings. Breakfast, traditional bacon and egg stuff, my personal favourite was a toasted western with home fries. Evening fare was more along the lines of steaks, burgers, spaghetti, meatloaf, hot hamburger or other open faced sandwiches, etc. etc. Good old home cooking really. Your choice of mashed baked or fried potatoes, a salad that was basically some iceberg lettuce and maybe a tomato wedge, with either french or thousand island dressing.
Nothing fancy, just good hot food.
Oh, and I also want to add thanks to Goldie for some good shots!

Thought I'd add a nice hot roast beef sandwich image,
openfacedroastbeefsandwich.jpg

Swiss Chalet got rid of their old school hot chicken sandwich about 15 years ago. My son still misses it. You have to really want a meal like this nowadays and hunt down a restaurant that still makes a meal in this style.

Back