News   May 08, 2024
 1K     1 
News   May 08, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   May 08, 2024
 2.7K     3 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Then and Now for July 11.

Then. 'Danforth In The Making. Looking E to Sherbourne. 1908?' That's some kind of road building. One wagon load of dirt at a time.

668.jpg

Now. April 2012.

669.jpg

Then and Now for July 11.

Then. 'Danforth In The Making. Looking E to Sherbourne. 1908?' That's some kind of road building. One wagon load of dirt at a time.

668.jpg

Re "1908?" : John Lyle's Dominion Bank was not completed until 1912. The foreground presumably shows Lyle's embankment for the extension of Bloor St., shortening the required Prince Edward Viaduct. Didn't construction of the Viaduct start in 1913?

I see from the photo that Lyle was being clever. If the alternative plan to build the viaduct at the end of Howard St had been adopted, Bloor would have deviated to the south and his bank would have been "marooned" in a quiet part of Rosedale. Nice save!

The 1908 could be as right as the "looking east" which is actually looking west.

Re "1908?" : John Lyle's Dominion Bank was not completed until 1912. The foreground presumably shows Lyle's embankment for the extension of Bloor St., shortening the required Prince Edward Viaduct. Didn't construction of the Viaduct start in 1913?

I see from the photo that Lyle was being clever. If the alternative plan to build the viaduct at the end of Howard St had been adopted, Bloor would have deviated to the south and his bank would have been "marooned" in a quiet part of Rosedale. Nice save!

The 1908 could be as right as the "looking east" which is actually looking west.

Yes, quite an erroneous caption, isn't it?
Even in those days the extension would have been called "Bloor in the making."
Danforth obviously starts east of the Don Valley.

How about St Clair East too?:p

There's probably too much in between the two halves now to do anything about it, but does anyone know if St Clair E was ever continuous, as in descending into the valley?

Ok then,.. in this spirit, let's reopen the long marooned Eastern Avenue bridge. Install traffic lights. :) If I were Mayor, I would do it. Cause I could. Would be useful for Beachers.

Ok then,.. in this spirit, let's reopen the long marooned Eastern Avenue bridge. Install traffic lights. :) If I were Mayor, I would do it. Cause I could. Would be useful for Beachers.

There's the small matter of it not being connected to anything, except the Lower Don Trail, and running right into the side of the DVP on the east bank of the Don.

You could replace it with a much bigger and higher bridge from Sunlight Park Rd over the DVP to the new Don Lands neighbourhood, I guess.

Regarding the "usefulness to Beachers":
Doesn't Eastern Ave. already continue across the Don and connect with Front St.?
Although it's not using that old bridge.

My husband and I have recently acquired a '68 Mustang. It needed a new carb, which apparently is not a big deal if you have the V6 or V8. Ours is a straight 6, which are increasingly rare (this was the entry-level 'Stang.) When we picked it up from the shop, they reminded us of how to start a car with a choke, which my husband had never done--but I had, with my very first car, an '80 Firebird. It did make me feel like I was 18 again.....

Well then you better join the GTAMC (Greater Toronto Area Mustang Club). I have a 2010 Shelby GT500. No Choke required lol

IMG_1221.jpg

Back in the late 80 my boss had an older Lada that had a choke, so I have some experience with it ;)

Does that mean the eastern section of St Clair E has always been disconnected? Was there a plan to connect the two halves, or was it just fanciful planning/surveying? And if not, what was the point of giving them the same name?

Yup, always disconnected. And all the consequence of the concession-plotting of two centuries plus ago--long before said concession line acquired the name of "St. Clair". (That they decided to name the orphaned E part may be explained through "why not?")

Back