News   May 08, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   May 08, 2024
 1.2K     2 
News   May 08, 2024
 2.9K     3 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

"Hard to find a credible source that does anything more than mention 'reports in the Arabic media' without supporting evidence."
QUOTE the lemur.

Where there is smoke . . .

J T
-30-

Hey "Architect", you obviously work for the government. Try to step into the real world before it's too late.

Cartels are just bullies. The Beer Store is a legislated foreign du-opoly, designed at the very cost to Ontario taxpayers. The power of the brewing industry would push local brewers at least into a competitive position. These are not from economies of scale or business efficiency, but plain legislation that the government creates. The victims are indeed the consumer, but also domestic wine, brewing and distilling industries, as well as any retail that might want to compete. Given that the LCBO is the single largest purchaser of alcohol on the planet, it is indeed significant.

"Of course. And the media have never been wrong about anything."
QUOTE the lemur.

Games?

Not here. Not now.

-30-

Toronto's political commentry Then and Now

THEN,
Some of the rebels who responded to Mackenzie's call to arms decided after sobre second thought that the exercise was hopeless and counselled calm and speedy dispersal. Other more highly motivated individuals pressed for an immediate attack on the defenseless city. Their heated arguments were interrupted by word that a force of Head's government supporters including pistol-packing Head and led by Colonel James Fitzgibbon was wending its way up Yonge Street.
Up and waur them a' Willy,
Up and waur them a'
Better brave the tyrants down
Than let this country fall.​

NOW
Cartels are just bullies. The Beer Store is a legislated foreign du-opoly, designed at the very cost to Ontario taxpayers. The power of the brewing industry would push local brewers at least into a competitive position. These are not from economies of scale or business efficiency, but plain legislation that the government creates. The victims are indeed the consumer, but also domestic wine, brewing and distilling industries, as well as any retail that might want to compete. Given that the LCBO is the single largest purchaser of alcohol on the planet, it is indeed significant.

And a little link for further research! LOL

Oh, and a cool map,
tt5p3h.jpg

"Toronto's political commentry Then and Now."
QUOTE mattelderca

One of my historical newspapers is THE PATRIOT. VOL IX., FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 16 1838. No 4.

wherein is a front page letter: (to the editor)

"An account of the Rebellion near Toronto

BY WILLIAM LYON MACKENZIE.
Navy Island, U C.
14th Jan 1838."

Neat, and real paper!

(HAS now been sold to McMaster, 2014.)

Regards,
J T

Last edited:
"Toronto's political commentry Then and Now."
QUOTE mattelderca

One of my historical newspapers is THE PATRIOT. VOL IX., FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 16 1838. No 4.

wherein is a front page letter: (to the editor)

"An account of the Rebellion near Toronto

BY WILLIAM LYON MACKENZIE.
Navy Island, U C.
14th Jan 1838."

Neat, and real paper!

Regards,
J T

I believe you owe us a picture, or a scan, of said paper!

"I believe you owe us a picture, or a scan, of said paper!"
QUOTE Earlscourt_Lad.

Said paper, may be allowed transport by prearrangement to either the restaurant/grill on the s/s of King East at Frederick

(one door removed to the east) during a Saturday morning, or The St Lawrence Market Antique Show on a Sunday.

The scan/send pic business is not a forte of mine, as well as the print size is quite small. (Bring a 'glass.)

Do bear in mind, that the last two times I promised someone a "look - see", I couldn't find

the book or pic as it became, as one person on this forum called my library,

a "Collection of Dead Wood", a phrase which I now use.

Regards,
J T

Last edited:
"Some of that extraneous-to-the-thread discussion lately "
QUOTE adma.

The character above, wearing just his pants & undershirt, quite resembles a person who lives up the street from me,

and I believe it was androiduk who posted a pic of same, although his back view, whilst at a Shania Twain book

signing, he taking a pic of Shania!

Regards,
J T

mattelderca, how deftly clever of you to bring things back on track in this way - reframe the political discussion in terms of a Then and Now. :) Nicely done.

I'll only add my own personal viewpoint that a modern version of the 'Family Compact' is still alive and well. How else to explain how Paul Godfrey, Jim Peterson, Robert Prichard, and others, who slide from appointment to appointment so seamlessly.

Back