386     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 563     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.1K     3 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

May 4 addition.

Hope everyone is well..

Esplanade looking E from Yonge. This was the waterfront at one time - the lake was just off the the right. Many buildings in the middle distance on the N side of the street are still there, including St Lawrence market south of course.

ser372_ss0079_s0372_ss0079_it0674.jpg

DSCF0643-1.jpg

From the descriptions of the photos at the Archives website..
Dupont Co of Canada Building – "Item is an image of an office building located at 85 Eglinton Ave. East, on the south east corner of Eglinton and Dunfield Ave.â€

Thanks Anna. May 5 addition.

fo1257_ser1057_f1257_s1057_it0735.jpg

DSCF0991.jpg

The clarity of that photo is amazing and the perspective immersive.

Was the sand for cigarettes?

The clarity of that photo is amazing and the perspective immersive.

Was the sand for cigarettes?

'immersive', yes. No lost buildings in this photo, just a lost street scene. The fashions struck me. Boiled collars, vests, hats on every single person.

sand.. sure - its hasn't been that long since ash trays filled with sand were a fixture everywhere.

Sorry to get all emo, but does anyone else look at the "before" images, then get depressed when they realize everyone in them is dead? Maybe it's because they're walking down the same streets I do everyday that's it's bothering me.

At any rate, terrific work again, Mustapha.

Great pose, nicely draped suit - the long jacket's a real statement - and the bowler's very smart. I don't think the hayseed in the cloth cap and heels on the left knows what he's in for.

Sorry to get all emo, but does anyone else look at the "before" images, then get depressed when they realize everyone in them is dead? Maybe it's because they're walking down the same streets I do everyday that's it's bothering me.

Yes, I find them quite haunting and they really emphasize how temporary we and the world as we know it are. I can't help but imagine Torontonians of the future looking back at us with the same bittersweet fascination.

Back