News   Jun 14, 2024
 788     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

April 27 addition.

Yonge and Montgomery, NW corner.

fo1244_f1244_it0297.jpg

DSCF0979.jpg

Last edited:
Are you sure this is Spadina and Dundas? The photo says 482 Queen West.

I saw that too. Thought it might be a mislabeling - a not uncommon archive picture situation. A Google shows many results ... that the Standard was at Dundas and Spadina, hence my conclusion.

Could there have been an earlier 'Standard' at 482 Queen W? I'll check the location tonite.

A Google on 'silent film getting even with the lawyer' turns up nothing. If this film was prior to 1921 (date of the Standard's opening), this may have served to indicate an earlier Standard.

Thanks ED007Toronto, I've taken down my post and substituted something else.

I think that this is the postal station with "E VIII R" on it, which makes it somewhat rare as Edward the 8th was King for all of eleven months before abdicating.

I think that this is the postal station with "E VIII R" on it, which makes it somewhat rare as Edward the 8th was King for all of eleven months before abdicating.

Yes it is - there is a small VIII in the middle branch of the 'E' in the 'ER' over the door in the picture. It's called a Royal Cypher and it's supposedly the only building in Canada that has his on it.

He also has a rather nice bridge/viaduct named after him, as well as half of the Princes' Gates.

Last edited:
A few weeks ago there was another picture of the Dundas-Yonge subway entrance with a construction worker anxiously checking the state of the concrete form. Now we know why--it looks like it fell in at one time--before or after?

Yes it is - there is a small VIII in the middle branch of the 'E' in the 'ER' over the door in the picture. It's called a Royal Cypher and it's supposedly the only building in Canada that has his on it.

He also has a rather nice bridge/viaduct named after him, as well as half of the Princes' Gates.

It's nice to be reminded of these things; most Torontonians who have read - and remember their history, know these things, but the rest of us just kinda subliminally know. Thanks Anna.

April 29 addition.

Yonge and Hayter looking W.

ser5745Cs0574_fl0081_id491027.jpg

DSCF1664.jpg

good lord. i don't know which one to choose. hopefully if or when aura 3 gets built, it will genuinely transform this area.

I think the city made a major mistake in allowing so many side streets to be closed. Hayter, the one at the Delta Chelsea, Eaton Centre etc.

I think the city made a major mistake in allowing so many side streets to be closed. Hayter, the one at the Delta Chelsea, Eaton Centre etc.

And Yonge and Eglinton's Starrett Avenue; Redpath Avenue between Erskine and Keewatin given over to Greenwin.. money talks.

I've being posting these updates on the Urban Toronto twitter page (http://twitter.com/Urban_Toronto). They are getting a really good response.

Thanks Ed007Toronto. I have to get a cell phone that does more than just voice.:)

April 30 addition.

I didn't know that the 'World's Biggest Bookstore' used to be a bowling alley..

The old photo is mislabeled, this is Edward Street, not Elm.

ser5745Cs0574_fl0081_id491025.jpg

DSCF1660.jpg

Back