News   Jun 14, 2024
 2.1K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 805     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Look carefully at Olympia/World's Biggest (in person, not in those photos), and you'll see Moderne reliefs that are effectively abstractions of bowling balls...

Great shot of the bowling alley and WBBS. Does anyone know when the bowling alley closed and it became a bookstore?

It's too bad there isn't a bowling alley left downtown. It's fun once in a while.

Look carefully at Olympia/World's Biggest (in person, not in those photos), and you'll see Moderne reliefs that are effectively abstractions of bowling balls...

Folks, well worth a quick look if you are already downtown. :) Stone carvers probably don't have their phones ringing off the hook nowadays.. :(

great shot of the bowling alley and wbbs. Does anyone know when the bowling alley closed and it became a bookstore?

It's too bad there isn't a bowling alley left downtown. It's fun once in a while.

Thanks! 1978 it closed.

Try this place if you've never been.

http://www.playtimebowl.com/

May 1 addition.

King mid-block N side between Bay and York.

ser381_s0381_fl0308_id12103-55.jpg

fo0124_f0124_fl0002_id0121.jpg

DSCF0668.jpg

Last edited:
I'm trying to figure whether the present position would be more midblockish (is that the old G&M building on the far left?)

Wow adma, you are absolutely right (not that I doubted you). I passed by this evening to check them out. I bowled for 3 years in the late 70s at the Olympia Lanes in the Judy Garland Memorial Bowling League but I guess the excessive rye & cokes blurred my vision to the reliefs. Thanks for pointing them out!

I'm trying to figure whether the present position would be more midblockish (is that the old G&M building on the far left?)

You figured right. :eek: The earlier photo's focal length perspective fooled me. See above; I added a later but still vintage picture. I'll add a midblock 'today' picture soon as I can.

Yes, that is the G&M building. Forgot all about it until the picture twigged me.

Well, #653 is the groundbreaking for the new subway on September 8, 1949, and #654 is, believe it or not, the "Street Cleaning Department - Beautify Toronto Campaign Annual Parade" from around the same time.

I am looking forward to the 2009 parade.:rolleyes:

Back