News   Jun 25, 2024
 856     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 806     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.4K     3 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Sorry to get all emo, but does anyone else look at the "before" images, then get depressed when they realize everyone in them is dead? Maybe it's because they're walking down the same streets I do everyday that's it's bothering me.

At any rate, terrific work again, Mustapha.

Thanks dilla. I get poignant maybe, but not depressed. Don't forget, their descendants are amongst us, so buck up and don't be depressed.:) Example: In some of these old pictures, 'Blatchford Shoes' [stores] can be seen. There is a 80years+ man living a few streets from me whose family owned the chain. His grandson gigs with my son.

I don't think the hayseed in the cloth cap and heels on the left knows what he's in for.

It looks like the hayseed is only in town to buy a train ticket. He seems to be staring intently at the Homeseekers Excursions to Western Canada poster.

And across the street - the Dominion Bank Building at 1 King West is under construction.

Fantastic...

Folks,

This Saturday night is 60s night in this thread. Log in at 8pm for an interesting picture pair; both in colour.

Thanks.

-Moose

May 6 addition.

King and Yonge SE corner.

ser3725Css00705Cs0372_ss0070_it0001.jpg

DSCF1678.jpg

Excellent pic Mustapha. I love doing the ones with people in them.

kyblend2.jpg

" You: standing at south east corner of Yonge and King on October 9th 1913, hands on hips, legs set wide apart, bowler hat, staring hard at me.

Me: Pretending not to notice, pretending to read the travel poster in window. Headed east on King to the King Eddy, hoping you'd follow, but you were talking to another guy when I looked back.

The '20s and '30s and '40s and '50s and '60s and '70s and '80s and '90s were lonely without you. Now we're in the '00s and I have to see you again.

Archibald

Phone me at MUrray5-4237 "

" You: standing at south east corner of Yonge and King on October 9th 1913, hands on hips, legs set wide apart, bowler hat, staring hard at me.

Me: Pretending not to notice, pretending to read the travel poster in window. Headed east on King to the King Eddy, hoping you'd follow, but you were talking to another guy when I looked back.

So it's not just me then.

I find these then-and-now hybrids incredibly poignant. Across the decades and generations, we're really all the same, with the same hopes and dreams, aren't we?

Back