1.4K     1 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 564     1 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Oops, I failed to notice the date!

Flappers?

Perhaps even Toronto related?

Comin right up.

20s feminine pulchritude for your delectation.

Miss Toronto. She's left of Miss Louisville.

ap05005_0.jpg

Last edited:
The Ellis Wiley Fonds?
I hope?

Bingo, Anna.:D ... cat's out of the bag.:)

Ellis Wiley was quite prolific wasn't he? His shots of street scenes and life from the 40s through the early 90s, all in colour, bring to the viewers eye a different 'reality', that black and white can't suggest. Some of the 80s colour pics I predict, will be of especial relevance and remembrance to the gen X'ers and Y'ers here at UT...

Adelaide looking W towards Shepperd street, and further on, Bay street.

May 8 addition.

fo1257_ser1057_f1257_s1057_it000-1.jpg

DSCF0640.jpg

interesting that the signage on 100 adelaide hasn't changed.

That awful DONUTS awning is covering up a nice window detail on the Concourse Building. Otherwise, the after shot is shows Adelaide looking better today IMO. I'm sure it'll look even better once BAC II is built. Thanks for the pair.

Last edited:

Ellis Wiley was quite prolific wasn't he? His shots of street scenes and life from the 40s through the early 90s, all in colour, bring to the viewers eye a different 'reality', that black and white can't suggest. Some of the 80s colour pics I predict, will be of especial relevance and remembrance to the gen X'ers and Y'ers here at UT...

I have been enjoying the Ellis Wiley photos over at the Archives web site these past few days -- are they newly posted? (never stumbled across them before)

They're fascinating because we don't see too many archival photos from that period. And the colour shots do certainly give a much different impression than the black and white ones -- those who have been saying in these threads that black and white tends to make things look better certainly have a point. The contrast in the 1950s/60s shots of Toronto's sooty Victorian buildings, compared to the shots of the gleaming new City Hall, certainly explains in part the demolition of so much of Toronto's built heritage during that period. Nonetheless, the colour shots of the Normal School and the Temple Building still almost made me want to cry.

I have been enjoying the Ellis Wiley photos over at the Archives web site these past few days -- are they newly posted? (never stumbled across them before)

They're fascinating because we don't see too many archival photos from that period. And the colour shots do certainly give a much different impression than the black and white ones -- those who have been saying in these threads that black and white tends to make things look better certainly have a point. The contrast in the 1950s/60s shots of Toronto's sooty Victorian buildings, compared to the shots of the gleaming new City Hall, certainly explains in part the demolition of so much of Toronto's built heritage during that period. Nonetheless, the colour shots of the Normal School and the Temple Building still almost made me want to cry.

I too believe that they are newly posted. I can't remember how I came across them originally. The search engine at the online Toronto archives is hit and miss.

Hey, the rest of you UTers; if you go here:

http://gencat.eloquent-systems.com/...6000_11222_11222&MenuName=Image search screen

and use keyword 'wiley', it's a good place to start.

Sorry :eek:
I see them as more 'late boomer' vintage - scenes I actually remember.

interesting that the signage on 100 adelaide hasn't changed.

I spend time looking for details like this too - stuff that has survived, that somehow shouldn't have.

Looking forward to the eventual return of two-way traffic on Adelaide.

Is that a wish or something in the works? They have to throw Richmond into the evaluation too..

That awful DONUTS awning is covering up a nice window detail on the Concourse Building. Otherwise, the after shot is shows Adelaide looking better today IMO. I'm sure it'll look even better once BAC II is built. Thanks for the pair.

Those cheap signs are jarring aren't they? Everywhere. Real nice when they catch pigeon droppings and are never cleaned.

Sorry :eek:
I see them as more 'late boomer' vintage - scenes I actually remember.

Scenes that I remember too. And those were better days, 'cause we were all younger. :) Sorry, I thought you said late bloomer.:)

A nice view of 110 Yonge ( Canada Trust ) as it was built - before the lower level was enclosed:
http://gencat.eloquent-systems.com/....arch/resource/fo0124/f0124_fl0003_id0140.jpg

It's insidious I tell ya. Like an an add-on enclosed porch.

May 9 addition.

Queen and Bay

fo1257_ser1057_f1257_s1057_it1131.jpg

DSCF1758.jpg

ser381_s0381_fl0275_id11384-11.jpg

*Ahem* Now. :D

fo0124_f0124_fl0015_id0016.jpg

fo1257_ser1057_f1257_s1057_it1131.jpg

Poor fellow.

DSCF1757.jpg

Back