1.1K     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 747     2 
News   May 17, 2024
 6.6K     7 

Mayor Olivia Chow's Toronto

Interview by the Globe and Mail with Olivia Chow:

Two transit-related notes:
  1. She wants to focus on fixing what Toronto has as opposed to building anything new
  2. Agrees with the need for the Waterfront LRT and the Eglinton East LRT, but nothing will be built until the feds and the province pony up
On (2) that's not going to happen while Ford is Premier, and probably not going to happen when Polliviere is PM so...we're gonna be waiting a while. Another Humber Bay Shores in the offing I think.

1. She wants to focus on fixing what Toronto has as opposed to building anything new
  2. Agrees with the need for the Waterfront LRT and the Eglinton East LRT, but nothing will be built until the feds and the province pony up
On (2) that's not going to happen while Ford is Premier, and probably not going to happen when Polliviere is PM so...we're gonna be waiting a while. Another Humber Bay Shores in the offing I think.
I think Reece and others have made this point, but the Waterfront East LRT should be built sooner rather than later, even if that means foregoing the Union upgrades. It is better for prospective Portlands residents to have to walk from QQ to Union for transfers than to not provide LRT service at all while waiting for the funding to come through for the Union upgrades.

I don't entirely agree w/your assessment here.

On point one:

I think its clear the province insists on being the builder/owner of such assets as I've noted in the past there are implications on provincial credit ratings and international borrowing and tax vehicles.

The City will not be the builder.

On point 2..........yes..........but the money is coming; admittedly not as soon as I expected or was told, but it is........ (at least for the Waterfront........not so sure about Eglinton, and I'd be fine if that was nixed, as there's a better plan being looked at)

Last edited:
On point one:

I think its clear the province insists on being the builder/owner of such assets as I've noted in the past there are implications on provincial credit ratings and international borrowing and tax vehicles.

Oh - I get what you’re saying, but I was simply quoting from the article.

“I’ve said no to all new projects—very nice, wonderful projects, I’ve said no. Fix what we have first, and the new things will come later.”

On point 2..........yes..........but the money is coming; admittedly not as soon as I expected or was told, but it is........ (at least for the Waterfront........

This is very, very hopeful, but given the political and funding climate I’m in very much a “wait and see” state of mind and am not getting my hopes up. That said, it would be incredible to see the Waterfront LRT move forward.

The mayor out today hyping replacements for the City's on-street waste receptacles:

1714066987680.png

Accompanying press release:

From same:

1714067064740.png

Good, as far as it goes................now about the ones in Parks....

Damn. Olivia Chow is really on a roll. CafeTO has been more smooth, garbage bins have been improved, a second pothole blitz…

She’s really trying to ensure that people feel that those tax dollars are delivering tangible improvements to their day-to-day. Smart.

Damn. Olivia Chow is really on a roll. CafeTO has been more smooth, garbage bins have been improved, a second pothole blitz…

She’s really trying to ensure that people feel that those tax dollars are delivering tangible improvements to their day-to-day. Smart.
Is CafeTO rolling out? I haven't seen any signs of it anywhere yet.

Is CafeTO rolling out? I haven't seen any signs of it anywhere yet.

Same here.

I wonder if the behind the scenes admin costs have limited participation this year.

This may be a blessing in disguise however for some street festivals though if I am not mistaken, Taste of the Danforth was canceled for this year?

@Towered @Richard White

“ As she applied for a temporary summer patio in front of her cosy Junction cocktail bar, Marlene Thorne had one thought: Please let this go more smoothly this year.

This year? It was a relative breeze, Thorne, other business owners and industry associations say, even though the number of applications fell by 13 per cent.”

“ This year, said Kiru, is already shaping up to be a substantial improvement. Already, roughly 75 per cent of the 320 applications received by the March 1 deadline have been processed, Kiru said. And the city says it's on target to have all but a handful of applications processed within the next few weeks.”

And yes, far fewer applications this year because of fees, and also less pressure to have seating.

Looks like the next conservative tempest-in-teacup may be over Toronto’s request for drug decriminalization made last year.

Last edited:

Back