1.1K     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Mayor Olivia Chow's Toronto

Media Advisory

May 2, 2024

City of Toronto and Government of Canada to provide funding update for hosting FIFA World Cup 26™

Mayor Olivia Chow and Carla Qualtrough, Federal Minister of Sport and Physical Activity, will provide an update at Toronto Stadium (BMO Field) at Exhibition Place as they announce federal funding for the FIFA World Cup 26™ (FWC26). Joining them will be Neil Lumsden, Ontario’s Minister of Tourism, Culture and Sport. This funding commitment will help Toronto gear up to host six matches during this global event.

Date: Friday, May 3

Time: 8:30 a.m.

Location: Toronto Stadium (BMO Field) at Exhibition Place, 170 Princes' Blvd.

Media Entrance: Gate 5 (parking off Princes’ Blvd. at south side of the building) Contingency plan for inclement weather: BMO Club - Gate 2 (parking lot off of Nova Scotia Ave.) On-site media contact: Nadia Araujo, Communications Advisor, nadia.araujo@toronto.ca, 416.892.9155

Though it is good to see that the City covers graffiti, it might be good if they tried to match the background colour! This on the Bathurst Bridge would look far better if they had not used "concrete colour' paint but had come with some black! (Yes, I know they can't have lots of colours but many City things are painted black.)
IMG_2636[1].JPG

AH something tells me Bens reading this wrong
The physical expense reports im reading say only $9300 it says 16,000 because they submitted the same expense reports for him and his staffer

In any case its a bad look upgrading to beamers, but the guy got ripped off by the car rental agency, so many fees, cleaning fees, theft protection late return, roadside assistance "vehicle pull fee" WTF is that
those alone cost more than the bmw upgrade.

Thats beside the point, Theres valid critiques here like not using the train when it exists or going a few days early and going to an Airbnb instead of a hotel with an event discount.

All of those can be added as future policies, I saw a note in the council vote saying staff is coming in q4 on a report about future procedures

but honestly theres really not much you can do when you have to add $5000 to rebook flights.

If I was him id be going to the media about that. If he actually got to the gate an hour early and they denied him due to overbooking, Theres no way he doesn't get reimbursed right?

Also ben didn't actually read the itinerary since the conference events started on the 13th. they arrived on the 10th not as bad as the full week early hes trying to paint

remember as long as its under $7000 for reasonable costs all this wouldn't matter

On Friday I saw Mayor Chow on the news responding to media questions about how people can get around the city this weekend including the final hockey game, with the Gardiner choked, construction delays everywhere, one subway line down and a big marathon. Her response was that Torontonians should use their feet or bicycles to get around. To me that was an admission of failure, if you want to go somewhere, put on your shoes and lump it, your city has no options.

Agreed entirely, and I say that as someone who happily, some days enthusiastically, walks 10k to run a basic errand.
Me too, and when you live downtown where everything is walkable, and you’re able, it’s easy to ignore the chaos everyone else is suffering through. We didn’t move the car once this weekend, but still managed to buy groceries for the week, brunch at our favourite independent restaurant, see a movie, etc. all without public or private transport. I do need some new shoes though.

Last edited:
When I lived in the Bathurst/ Lake Shore area, many of us downloaded game and event schedules to our calendars. We planned our weekend excursions, because it’s a reality. A hockey playoff game, a Jays game, and a run or walk event cause traffic mayhem. We embraced it (we chose where to live for a reason, we often participated in events), but not everyone does. It happens in all big cities though. It’s temporary. I have been in London, Boston, Chicago, and New York for marathon events. Hey, maybe that makes Toronto world class? 😜

When I lived in the Bathurst/ Lake Shore area, many of us downloaded game and event schedules to our calendars. We planned our weekend excursions, because it’s a reality. A hockey playoff game, a Jays game, and a run or walk event cause traffic mayhem. We embraced it (we chose where to live for a reason, we often participated in events), but not everyone does. It happens in all big cities though. It’s temporary. I have been in London, Boston, Chicago, and New York for marathon events. Hey, maybe that makes Toronto world class? 😜
I keep tabs on these large "events" just so that I can avoid them.

Yes, the gravy train DOES stop here...

Not the best look for a City which is short of $$ - is trying to get $$ from the Feds and the Fords - and is about to "waste" (in the opinion of many) lots of millions on soccer.

This is similar to what Michelle Berardinetti did years ago.

When in office Michelle was well known for travelling abroad to conferences on the city dime. She would frequently post pictures on her travels.

She was hardly ever at council meetings and instead focused on "promoting" the city abroad. It is why she lost to Gary Crawford.

AH something tells me Bens reading this wrong
The physical expense reports im reading say only $9300 it says 16,000 because they submitted the same expense reports for him and his staffer

In any case its a bad look upgrading to beamers, but the guy got ripped off by the car rental agency, so many fees, cleaning fees, theft protection late return, roadside assistance "vehicle pull fee" WTF is that
those alone cost more than the bmw upgrade.

Thats beside the point, Theres valid critiques here like not using the train when it exists or going a few days early and going to an Airbnb instead of a hotel with an event discount.

All of those can be added as future policies, I saw a note in the council vote saying staff is coming in q4 on a report about future procedures

but honestly theres really not much you can do when you have to add $5000 to rebook flights.

If I was him id be going to the media about that. If he actually got to the gate an hour early and they denied him due to overbooking, Theres no way he doesn't get reimbursed right?

Also ben didn't actually read the itinerary since the conference events started on the 13th. they arrived on the 10th not as bad as the full week early hes trying to paint

remember as long as its under $7000 for reasonable costs all this wouldn't matter
The Expense Report for him and his staffer DO total over $16,000 and by all accounts they missed their flight because they slept in!

1715008534857.png

Back