News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.1K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 469     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Leslieville / Studio District

Jones could be a nice boulevard, but I think Carlaw will become the North-South hub of the neighbourhood (something akin to Ossington, except with artsy family types instead of 905ers), as it connects Queen to Gerrard Square. This street will also have the most density in the neighbourhood.

Tango Palace at Queen & Jones is my favourite coffee shop in the city.

No North/South hub will ever happen.

Jones could be a nice boulevard, but I think Carlaw will become the North-South hub of the neighbourhood (something akin to Ossington, except with artsy family types instead of 905ers), as it connects Queen to Gerrard Square. This street will also have the most density in the neighbourhood.

Tango Palace at Queen & Jones is my favourite coffee shop in the city.

The whole of Toronto east of the Don, south of Danforth is oriented E/W because, with rare exceptions, that's where the shops are.

Queen/Dundas/Gerrard/Danforth are the main arteries. North of Danforth you can make a case of Pape or Donlands over O'Connor, but it's still a geographical issue -- most people/shops/services align E/W.

Not so with Roncie, Ossington, Bathurst, etc. on west side.l

http://www.insidetoronto.com/news/cityhall/article/157935--smartcentres-appeal-quashed#at

SmartCentres appeal quashed

An Ontario Divisional Court judge has quashed an appeal by SmartCentres of an Ontario Municipal Board (OMB) decision preventing them from building a 700,000 square foot shopping centre on Eastern Avenue.

The decision from Divisional Court Madam Justice Andromache Karakatsani came down the afternoon of Oct. 28, and found that contrary to arguments made by SmartCentres lawyers, the OMB made no errors in law when it rejected a plan to build the shopping centre.

“I am not satisfied that there is good reason to doubt that the OMB was reasonable in considering the impact of the proposal on the surrounding lands formerly designated ‘industrial’ and now designated ‘employment area,’†wrote Karakatsani in the decision.

“At the conclusion of a lengthy hearing, the OMB was persuaded that the proposal did not constitute good planning and would very likely destabilize the area.â€

The decision, just four pages in length, means the lands formerly occupied by the Toronto Film Studio on Eastern Avenue west of Leslie Street can’t be redeveloped.

Wednesday’s decision was a cause for celebration for local councillor Paula Fletcher and members of the Leslieville community who fought the prospect of big box retail coming into the neighbourhood.

SmartCentres spokesperson Sandra Kaiser had little to say about the decision, commenting only: “We are reviewing the decision and will consider all our options.â€

City lawyer Brendan O’Callahan said it’s unlikely SmartCentres will be able to appeal given the nature of the decision.

“I just read the decision and it’s excellent,†he said. “Their request has been dismissed. I think this is finally the last nail in the coffin - I don’t tink they can appeal, I think this is it.â€

Connection between Filmport and Former Big Box Now Possible LRV Yard?

Maybe someone has already pointed this out, but isn't it kind of coincidental that the City of Toronto bought into Filmport (controlled by Rose Corporation) and is now considering locating this new LRV yard on the SmartCentres Eastern Avenue site, which is 50% owned by Rose Corporation? Or I am I just seeing connections where none exist?

Maybe someone has already pointed this out, but isn't it kind of coincidental that the City of Toronto bought into Filmport (controlled by Rose Corporation) and is now considering locating this new LRV yard on the SmartCentres Eastern Avenue site, which is 50% owned by Rose Corporation? Or I am I just seeing connections where none exist?

That was not their preferred location. I believe they want to put it at Leslie and Lakeshore instead.

I saw the connections too. My theory was that the City was trying to find a way to buy smartcentres off in exchange for smartcentres not suing them for the stuff the City pulled during the approvals process for the walmart site. The drama regarding that site can't be done yet.

Speaking of Eastern Ave,

There's finally a sidewalk by the Hollywood North Auto Parts… also townhouses under construction in the background (Sears St) and I believe there maybe a loft under construction as well.

Does anyone know who owns the land where the protester type baddies are being held? It was the Toronto Film Studios, then it was supposed to be a Walmart I believe.

I believe the ownership has not changed: Rose Corp. and Smart Centres each own a half share. They were denied the zoning change that would have allowed building a shopping centre by the OMB and their appeal of that decision failed. There are more documents and references at Joe Clark's leslieville.org page on the long debate over the development of this property. Film industry workers still want the place to reopen as a film studio, but there have been no signs of life for a long time: the place was to be demolished last winter, I'm not sure if that failed because the city did not grant the permit in time, or for some other reason (perhaps Rose/Smartcentres calculated that the cost of demolition exceeded the benefits of municipal tax reductions on empty land).

Last edited:
Thank you for the background. I wonder if the city new the police would be using the buildings as holding cells during the G20, and that's why they didn't demolish them. I'm also interested in how much we the tax payers paid Rose and Smart Centres for the use of their property.

Who knows what sort of deal Rose/Smartcentres worked out with the city for the temporary detention and police centre, and if the terms will ever be disclosed? The police and city may argue that it's all a confidential security matter.

Has anyone seen the construction starting at pape and queen lately? They have set up the frame of a building but I cannot find the design or if its residential/commercial or industrial. I'll go by tomorrow and take a picture but I'm still curious.

Im looking for a starter home in this area,wondering what section of Leslieville would you recommend (exact streets) if possible.I want a quiet residential street....

Back