News   May 10, 2024
 157     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 617     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 891     1 

Leslieville / Studio District

There's a real fixer-upper at the bottom of Caroline Ave. It's a nice quiet street. Of course, with Rose & Smart Centres owning the property on Eastern at the foot of the street, one never knows what the future will bring.

Oi, this thread has gone so quiet. It used to be the most active in Neighbourhood Node!

Anyway, as a soon-to-be Leslieville resident I thought I'd perk it up and ask everyone if there's any new issues in the hood?

Welcome to Leslieville, JasonParis! I don't know that there are any new issues in the hood, but thanks to some serious condo development along Carlaw and more of the same happening on lower Broadview and Queen by the Don Valley... I think it's fair to say you can expect more foot traffic along the shops and restos on Queen East, especially between the Don and Leslie. And Walmart is reportedly coming into the old Zellers space at Gerrard Square; I'm personally indifferent to that but anything which shakes up Gerrard Square is probably a good thing.

Leslie St. itself, from Queen southward, will soon enough be a mess (once they start construction for the streetcar right of way for the new barn/maintenance shed going in on the south-east side of Lakeshore and Leslie)... that will be great fun for as long as it lasts. I can see it's going to be very vexing for the morning commute as drivers boost down Eastern and down Leslie, gunning for the Gardiner and the DVP. It's also going to play hell with the insanely busy Tim Hortons at Lakeshore and Leslie.

Though it's adjacent to bustling Carlaw, much of Leslieville itself remains slower to develop and it's still largely a clutch of modest residential homes that are being increasingly renovated and gussied up. I agree with the observation that it feels much like Riverdale did a couple of decades ago - a somewhat dowdy nabe with plenty of latent potential. but if you're a foodie I think you'll dig what's on hand here. Too, the Leslieville Farmers market started up last year and for an inaugural year it did very well. It'll be back in the spring... watch for it. Great sense of community and some fantastic vendors.

I've been in the neighbourhood for about 12, 13 years now and have been living in the east end for a couple of years longer than that. I was always expecting Leslieville to come into its own but it's only been in the last few years that it really feels as if it's undergoing more of a seismic shift. There are still a couple of forlorn, abandoned condo projects dotting Queen St (at Pape, for one, and further east, between Leslie and Greenwood). But on balance, it's been great to see more street action and a nice infill of services - butcher shops, cheese shops, bakeries, cafes - always a good sign of a vital neighbourhood.

Thanks for the great response!

I agree with you about foot traffic and the retail changes it is likely to bring (especially along Carlaw and up at Dundas) as more projects get completed. I'm hoping for a dry cleaner and a decent indie coffee shop myself!

I'm not a full-fledged foodie by any means, but I totally appreciate how Leslieville punches above its weight in this category and is one of the many reasons that turned us onto the hood.

Just two months to go!

I'm hoping for a dry cleaner and a decent indie coffee shop myself!!

Leslieville has one Starbucks and at least 5 indepedents IIRC?

Te Aro, Mercury, Sophie, Tango Palace, and Red Rocket. Plus Dark Horse near Broadview.

No need to go without good coffee in that nabe. I miss it. All I have in Cabbagetown is Jet Fuel. Ugh.

My personal impressions of living in Leslieville for a year:
- Lots of interesting business in unexpected nooks and crannies. Those converted warehouses on Carlaw are labyrinths home to dozens of small businesses. Above and behind the shops on Queen hide some gems. There's some vestiges of light industrial that have stuck around, such as at Logan and Easten you have a Weston Bakery with bakery outlet store.
- Streetcar service is better than you might expect. You're before the first short-turn point, and there's lots of extra service with all the streetcars coming and going from Russell yard. But you'll still curse it sometimes.
- There's a lack of cheap dining options. Lots of great dining, but no real ethnic food and if you're on a budget don't expect to find dinner for less than $10.
- The nabe can be surprisingly quiet in the evening. The bars aren't as crowded and through traffic sticks to Dundas/Eastern/Lake Shore which creates a environment that's a lot less busy than the west end. And you know what? It works.

Last edited:
It's definitely not the west end, especially at night; the east end can't compete with the west in terms of the sheer number of shops, restos, coffee houses, clubs, etc. PLus the urban density just isn't there - nowhere near the same concentration of vertical living you'd find in numerous spots in the west - not yet, anyway. It's just a whole other vibe.

What bars there are tend to be smaller, cosier. We frequent Stratengers (old sentimental favourite - great wood-fired pizza and Indian cuisine), The Roy and the Ceili Cottage (pricey but a great vibe and a great addition to the neighbourhood).... but there are other businesses just starting up - we're hearing good news about some bar near Jones and Gerrard that's just coming into its own. Coffee shops that work for us include the Mercury and Dark Horse. Both serve great product but we love the open decor, terrific art and excellent old wooden central/communal table... they generated their own thing there and it's really working for them. Place is always busy and it's good for watching people, both inside and on the street.

Red Rocket is toast, unfortunately; landlord's to blame there - always happy to jack up the rent once they see a successful business making a go of it. We've seen a lot of businesses go into that building over the years, only to fail. Looks like Queen Margherita is hanging on though, which we're glad for. Awesome pizza pie there.

Regarding cheap eats - if you're into Chinese, try Lucky Star, on the south side of Queen near Broadview. Don't order the usual buffet-style "Canadian Chinese" fare, the chicken balls and bad fried rice dishes, go for the stuff like Shanghai Noodles, Cantonese Chow Mein, beef with Ho Fan, that sort of thing. For as little as seven bucks you'll get a very good meal and walk away stuffed - I go there all the time. The owner and his family are great people. Don't expect a great atmosphere - this is all about the food, period. And if you like burritos, I can't recommend Chino Loco's enough. Another favourite. 10 bucks gets you a very filling burrito that's ingeniously devised. Great fusion food. Try their jerk chicken burrito... yummy stuff. A spunky hole in the wall of a place at Queen and Greenwood, it feels very much like some NYC eatery tucked away amidst bigger attractions. Finally, if you like street dogs, you'd do worse to go to the gentleman whose trailer is parked at the mall on the south-west corner of Lakeshore and Leslie; not a terribly scenic setting but his grub kicks butt. Fantastic fries, great portions, and the sausages taste superb.

For the most part however, food that's both good and cheap is tough to come by - but that's true of many places.

Chino Loco's isn't in the area though right ? I thought it was on Church.

The original Chino Loco's is the location I'm talking about. They did so well there they quickly branched out to the Church location. Never been to that one; I live a block away from the Greenwood locale.

Leslieville has one Starbucks and at least 5 indepedents IIRC? Te Aro, Mercury, Sophie, Tango Palace, and Red Rocket. Plus Dark Horse near Broadview. No need to go without good coffee in that nabe. I miss it. All I have in Cabbagetown is Jet Fuel. Ugh.
I know, I know. I was just being greedy. I want an indie at the corner of Dundas & Carlaw. Like now! LOL.

I dunno but at this point I rather doubt it. Coxwell is surrounded by residential and they'd have to expropriate a fair chunk of land to be able to put a streetcar turn in there. Also, Dundas from Broadview on over to Coxwell is quite the busy little artery at rush hour. I don't expect locals would welcome it, especially when you consider that you have subways up on the Danforth, Streetcars on Gerrard a block north and streetcars a block south on Queen. But you never know - certainly I'm not privy to whatever long-term plans are being cooked up.

Always wished the 505, ran further east... Us locals would welcome it, the majority of those sitting in thier cars on dundas are not locals. As those lots north of dundas are developed, we will need the extra capacity.... Ps, coxwell station had a streetcar, I believe until 1980 or so, the cox well route ran down to queen out Kingston rd to Vic park.... Hopefully we could see it again.

Lots of drivers using Dundas between Broadview and Kingston Rd are indeed locals... how many use it to get to Kingston Road and then further on into Scarborough? I imagine lots use it to get to the residential areas off of Degrassi, Logan, Carlaw, Jones, Greenwood, Coxwell, even the Beaches... anyway, when I said locals wouldn't welcome streetcars on Dundas, I was more thinking of the necessary construction hassle along that corridor. It's already seen a spike in construction traffic thanks to the densification of Carlaw.

Seems to me the right way to go, if you're going to have streetcars at all, is to give them dedicated right of way alongside fully separated lanes for vehicular traffic. It's the only way for streetcars to be able to move at a decent speed while not drastically inhibiting the flow of vehicular traffic. Would Dundas east have the necessary width to accommodate such a design? In some spots, maybe. Again, I just don't see it; not for the foreseeable future, anyway.

Back