News   May 10, 2024
 106     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 283     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 721     0 

Leslieville / Studio District

There's been a huge migration of west-enders to the area in the past few years, having been priced out of the west, and I'm sure we're driving a culture shift. It's a shame some of those small condos on Queen are stalled ... the Riverside portion shows the great potential of Queen E.

Always wished the 505, ran further east... Us locals would welcome it, the majority of those sitting in thier cars on dundas are not locals. As those lots north of dundas are developed, we will need the extra capacity.... Ps, coxwell station had a streetcar, I believe until 1980 or so, the cox well route ran down to queen out Kingston rd to Vic park.... Hopefully we could see it again.

If the TTC needs extra capacity along Dundas, they'll add buses on Pape, Jones, and Greenwood. Dundas + Coxwell is very close to Queen. With a project like QQEast going begging, a streetcar on Dundas won't happen.

There's been a huge migration of west-enders to the area in the past few years, having been priced out of the west, and I'm sure we're driving a culture shift. It's a shame some of those small condos on Queen are stalled ... the Riverside portion shows the great potential of Queen E.

My new neighbours, here in Riverdale, are refugees from the Junction - there is only so long one can wait for the benefits of the gentrification cycle to kick in, I guess, and we're further along with it here. Further into the east end are some lovely, quiet, residential districts and I don't think that transplanting the nightlife of the west end into them is going to necessarily be seen as an upgrade.

Perhaps it won't be seen as an upgrade by many, but then again there are many newer arrivals who will appreciate it just the same. It's inevitable that more street activity become the norm in places like Leslieville as we continue to see more mid-rise urban infill happen throughout the core. All those extra folks are going to need places to dine, drink, shop, etc. Sleepy, almost quant neighbourhoods are going to perforce wake up a little. It won't necessarily be a bad thing and those who dislike the changes being visited on the east end can always pack up move out of the city - because that sleepy old norm is pretty much toast. Even with the cooling-off of the condo and housing market I'm betting we will continue to see the approval of infill projects - and, correspondingly, more street life.

As an aside, an interesting development is 629 Eastern's imminent return to form as a film and television production facility, after those dormant, derelict years during which the Walmart battle and the G20 detention facility were the only news coming out of that huge acreage. It's a good sign for the entertainment business in the city. Looking forward to snagging a contract there one day so that I can walk or bike to work without even breaking a sweat.

Last edited:
Perhaps it won't be seen as an upgrade by many, but then again there are many newere arrivals who will appreciate it just the same. It's inevitable that more street activity become the norm in places like Leslieville as we continue to see more mid-rise urban infill happen throughout the core. All those extra folks are going to need places to dine, drink, shop, etc. Sleepy, almost quant neighbourhoods are going to perforce wake up a little. It won't necessarily be a bad thing and those who dislike the changes being visited on the east end can always pack up move out of the city - because that sleepy old norm is pretty much toast. Even with the cooling-off of the condo and housing market I'm betting we will continue to see the approval of infill projects - and, correspondingly, more street life.

As an aside, an interesting development is 629 Eastern's imminent return to form as a film and television production facility, after those dormant, derelict years during which the Walmart battle and the G20 detention facility were the only news coming out of that huge acreage. It's a good sign for the entertainment business in the city. Looking forward to snagging a contract there one day so that I can walk or bike to work without even breaking a sweat.

Who's re-opening TFS?

Ken Ferguson is back. The scuttlebutt I'm hearing from various sources is that he's returned. They're renovating the offices and studios, getting them ready for production mode.

No, I'm DGC. Currently I'm on a NABET show but we can work with them or IA - or go independent if we wish (not that it's terribly attractive as the rates tend to be precipitously lower).

Yeah, good news. Early last year I was one of several asked to participate in a community focus group regarding the impact of the venue in Leslieville/Riverdale as well as options for the use of the theatre space for times other than theatrical productions. In fact, the people at Crow's found me through Urban Toronto.

Carlaw and Dundas is already dramatically different from how it appeared at the start of the millenium. The addition of the new building on the north-east corner as well as other stuff going up on Carlaw further south will only heighten that difference.

If the TTC needs extra capacity along Dundas, they'll add buses on Pape, Jones, and Greenwood. Dundas + Coxwell is very close to Queen. With a project like QQEast going begging, a streetcar on Dundas won't happen.
Another idea for the 505 just sort of hit me...

Once the DRL is up in running (10-20 years?), there will almost certainly be a station within 300 metres of Dundas & Carlaw, so the 505 could end there instead (which would be about 1.5 km extension of track). The need for two streetcars (504 & 505) running up to Broadview Station wouldn't be there anymore, and the 505 could continue along Dundas to better serve the quickly growing Leslieville area.

Another idea for the 505 just sort of hit me...

Once the DRL is up in running (10-20 years?), there will almost certainly be a station within 300 metres of Dundas & Carlaw, so the 505 could end there instead (which would be about 1.5 km extension of track). The need for two streetcars (504 & 505) running up to Broadview Station wouldn't be there anymore, and the 505 could continue along Dundas to better serve the quickly growing Leslieville area.

Not bad. You could have a loop behind WorkLofts or on the triangle on the NW corner. 505ers going N at Broadview just change to the 504. Might be better service for all the new Regent Parkers, too.

There may even be an argument then that if the 505 Dundas were to run from Leslieville Subway Station (let's just call it that for now) then it should maybe terminate at High Park instead on the west. The 506 Carlton would then no longer go to High Park, but instead terminate at Dundas West instead. I'm just trying to keep two "U" streetcar lines through the core from the B-D line if that makes sense..

Back