News   May 10, 2024
 158     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 244     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 370     0 

Leslieville / Studio District

Can you say "hail mary" attempt? I would love to read how they believe the OMB exceeded its jurisdiction on this matter. On its face, it sounds positively ludicrous.

As for costs, I can't recall an example of where costs were awarded to a party who were deemed to not have fulfilled its own obligations before the OMB.

http://torontoist.com/2009/04/why_so_serious.php

Not sure what kind of mouthbreather would do this:

20090414vandals.jpg

NatPost on some new news at TFS

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/...emise-in-any-interest-to-film-in-toronto.aspx

"We're witnessing a real demise in any interest in coming to Toronto from production." -- set designer Carolyn Loucks.

That seems to be exactly the opposite to the G&M's sunny outlook for TV and film production in Toronto. Are the TV and film industries so different that lots of TV work means nothing to the film workers?

A Rose Corp. spokes-VP-finance (did they ambush him or does Rose really put the accountant out front?) seems to intimate a big announcement later in the week.

New Streetcar yard for TFS property?

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/story/2009/06/18/ttc-leslieville.html?ref=rss

This is an interesting turn of events.

From my point of view, a streetcar yard has few of the objectionable qualities of a big box store:

1. quality employment
2. introduces no 'contagion' threat to surrounding film studios and other industrial uses.
3. no increase in outside car traffic. no increase in air pollution.
4. no competition to smaller businesses in the area. In fact, employees would likely be customers at many local businesses.

But, of course, some of the people who opposed Smart Centres are opposed to this proposal.

To me, this sort of issue separates those who had specific objections to the Smart Centres proposal from those who are either knee jerk NIMBYs or think they are entitled to dictate the details of how there area will develop. My opinion might different if I lived right next door the the TFS property, but many of those aren't directly affected either.

I don't think anyone lives next door - it's all industrial. The closest neighbour is on the north side of Eastern ...

Seems like a perfect fit to me! The whole point of the challenger to the Big Box was that this was supposed to be employment lands; and I can't imagine a more stable employer!

Well that's certainly quite the twist of fate. Those very same lands were proposed for the DRL subway car yard back in the 80s. I do think they could find something a little better for that site, though.

As an aside, if I were planning a new yard for the DRL, I'd put it in the vast lands at Don Mills and the 401.

As an aside, if I were planning a new yard for the DRL, I'd put it in the vast lands at Don Mills and the 401.
What vast lands? The empty lot at the SE corner of Don Mills and 401 is smaller the TTC yard at Greenwood; unless you want to take over Moatfield Farm Park and fill the Don River valley.

A cynic would say one of two things happened here:

1. The City knows SmartCentres is going to sue them for all the tricks they pulled to block the application and are looking to buy them out of the land in order to make the problem go away.

or

2. The City has known all along they needed the land and one of the reasons they fought the application is to keep the land undevelopable in order to keep its price down.

2. The City has known all along they needed the land and one of the reasons they fought the application is to keep the land undevelopable in order to keep its price down.
Though that's a tough sell, given the city has several other alternatives it is considering nearby; this is only of the proposed sites.

What vast lands? The empty lot at the SE corner of Don Mills and 401 is smaller the TTC yard at Greenwood; unless you want to take over Moatfield Farm Park and fill the Don River valley.

There's a large area of flat land running parallel to the 401 west of Don Mills and north of the valley. The city has long proposed it for various uses. I believe the latest was an arena project that seems to have fallen through.

There's a large area of flat land running parallel to the 401 west of Don Mills and north of the valley. The city has long proposed it for various uses. I believe the latest was an arena project that seems to have fallen through.
... that would be the property at the southwest corner of Don Mills and 401. As I said, it's smaller than the Greenwood yards; I'm quite familiar with the area ... it's about 200 metres away from me as I write this ...

Sorry, you had said southeast, which is indeed quite a small property. Sure, it's smaller than Greenwood but it's bigger than Davisville. Major maintenance work could still be done at Greenwood or Wilson. Anyway, it's a lot bigger than the TFS site.

Do you have any other suggestions for yard sites? along the Don Mills-DRL subway route?

We're all streetcar fans here (well, for the most part) so this doesn't seem like that big a deal to us, but fuck — for the average person who lives in that area what better example of "Better then Devil you know" could there be? The possible horrors of big box retail and its inexpensive prices? or the much more tangible horrors of a large scale light industrial mechanics yard?

How much bigger do you think the parking area will have to be for the TTC yard? 204 LRVs must take up a lot of space...Do you think all of it will be on-street? LOL

Back