News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 391     0 

Leslieville / Studio District

There may even be an argument then that if the 505 Dundas were to run from Leslieville Subway Station (let's just call it that for now) then it should maybe terminate at High Park instead on the west. The 506 Carlton would then no longer go to High Park, but instead terminate at Dundas West instead. I'm just trying to keep two "U" streetcar lines through the core from the B-D line if that makes sense..
If we're going to fix High Park, why not extend the High Park service the 750 metres up Parkside to Keele station. Could probably run most of in a ROW on the west side of Parkside without any traffic impacts. Surely Keele station would be a better anchor on the west for a streetcar. And for the those concerned about the historic High Park loop, it would surely remain for short-turns. Hard to see a downside, except for construction cost.

Okay, that's OT for this thread ... but the change east of Broadview if they build the DRL certainly make sense!

Last edited:
A wee tidbit... It will be a Subway (subs) going into the final retail spot in the Work Lofts project at Dundas/Carlaw. For the record, none of Flat Iron's retail units appear to have been rented yet though.

I wasn't sure where to put this, in Riverdale, Riverside, the Beaches or Leslieville since all are mentioned ...

The Boston Globe praises the east end:

TORONTO — When I first visited Mary MacLeod’s Shortbread on Queen Street East 15 years ago it was isolated in a part of the city that didn’t get much traffic. MacLeod baked the best shortbread cookies in the city and shipped them around the world. Now the East End is hot and the world is coming to her.

MacLeod, 78, never regretted her move from a tonier area of Toronto and relishes the multicultural neighborhood as much as her customers do her baked goods. “The area has changed so dramatically and is so vibrant. I heard that there are about 97 languages spoken around here,†she said.

I moved here about the same time as MacLeod and these days I guide friends around the area.

Our first stop is Bonjour Brioche, the celebrated bakery cafe on Queen Street East. It makes the best French toast, with real French Canadian maple syrup. Fruit and custard desserts tempt from atop the antique wooden counters. I know I’ve given in to many a lemon tart...

I wasn't sure where to put this, in Riverdale, Riverside, the Beaches or Leslieville since all are mentioned ...

The Boston Globe praises the east end:

Thx for that - MM's dollar bags always made me fervently thank my hop on/hop off monthly TTC pass. The daughters LOVED when MM screwed up a batch!

And I can say the same thing about St. John's bread or Ka Ka BBQ's pork & duck. Mmmmmmm....

Last edited:
that article is a few years too late...and in terms of multiculturalism in some of those neighbourhoods, its going the other way...

Councillor Paula Fletcher is throwing a Ward 30 Open House on October 3rd.

Discussion will include the following...
  • Riverside Heritage Conservation District
  • Portlands Planning
  • Dundas-Carlaw Study
  • Queen St E in Leslieville Study
  • South of Eastern Employment Area
More details here: http://paulafletcher.ca/2013/09/community-planning-open-house/

Not sure where to put this as Greenwood Park seems to fall across the boundaries of several traditional neighbourhoods. The interesting thing for me is the skating trail (concrete path in the centre of first pic); one of several to pop-up around the region in the last couple of years. Also the roof over the rink with skylights is a great investment.

image-XL.jpg

image-XL.jpg

Back