News   Jul 15, 2024
 30     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 295     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.8K     1 

John Street Roundhouse: Toronto Railway Heritage Centre, Steam Whistle, The Rec Room

Geez guys...

N8tfAc3.jpg

I wonder how they'll be able to squeeze all of that into the existing space... Maybe it's coming from Marry+Poppins Architects?

Sounds like Chuck-E-Cheese for adults.

Sure, why not?

Heh-heh-heh--exactly! So funny how they dump all the events that'll go on in there--as if all the ingredients are equal--you know it's going to be a concert space first, then offer food and maybe some games as way down in some corner--they throw in the word "family" and "neighbourhood" as if anyone nearby would go--and as if their noise will endear them to local families. Brutal

Anybody with common sense knew that Leon's would be a bad fit for that location. It was empty every time I went in there. I wonder how much money Leon's lost by renovating that large building,then leaving?

Sounds like your typical hybrid entertainment-food-games hub, seen in plenty of "Arena districts" south of the border. Sort of like a mini-L.A. Live or XFinity Live in Philly.

Anybody with common sense knew that Leon's would be a bad fit for that location. It was empty every time I went in there. I wonder how much money Leon's lost by renovating that large building,then leaving?

I went in there often while furnishing my condo over the last couple of years. I've never seen more than a few stragglers wandering around. Myself, I never did end buying anything there.

It was a nice space and an attractive showroom and perhaps their intention was to target the condos popping up all over in that area but I don't see how they could have had a sustainable operation after the initial condo owners settled in. It's just not a good fit. I'm glad they're moving on.

http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2016.CC15.1

Summary
Item MM11.51, as adopted by City Council on December 9 and 10, 2015, authorized the Director, Real Estate Services to negotiate with the head tenant of the City-owned John Street Roundhouse to secure consent to the assignment of Leon's sublease to Steam Whistle Brewing Inc., and if the negotiations were unsuccessful, to initiate expropriation proceedings to expropriate the head tenant's leasehold interest, for municipal and economic development purposes.

Negotiations with the head tenant have been unsuccessful. The purpose of this report is to provide confidential information and advice with respect to the proposed expropriation.

blogTO is reporting the Rec Room will open this summer. Based on the reviews of the Edmonton location, I don't think it will be open long. They scan your ID just to get in and keep your info on file in case of an "incident." The service is bad, the food is inconsistent, and they make you wait for a table so that you wander around and spend money on games. Not professional.

blogTO is reporting the Rec Room will open this summer. Based on the reviews of the Edmonton location, I don't think it will be open long. They scan your ID just to get in and keep your info on file in case of an "incident." The service is bad, the food is inconsistent, and they make you wait for a table so that you wander around and spend money on games. Not professional.

The whole concept sounded unappealing when they announced it, and this does not make it sound any better.

I don't think it will succeed. We shall see.

It depends. A lot of people are looking for things to do in this city. There is a lot of untapped potential here. Entertainment is kind of monotone here. This will provide a bit of variety of it is planned well.

Cineplex seems like it knows what it's doing, and there are plenty of models for this type of business in Asia. So all they have to do is just copy it and bring it here. Unfortunately it won't have the gambling aspect like that ones in Japan though.

Back