News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 468     0 

John Street Roundhouse: Toronto Railway Heritage Centre, Steam Whistle, The Rec Room

is this theatre will be built a portable tent for only summer entertainment then folded down after the summer is over.. or this theatre will be permanent house of International and Marquis Entertainment ???

It will be a temporary structure though I believe it will be a lot more substantial than simply a portable tent to be folded up.

Application: Zoning Review Status: Not Started

TORONTO M5V 3M9

Ward 20: Trinity-Spadina

Application#: 11 147455 ZPR 00 ZR Accepted Date: Mar 17, 2011

Project: Non-Residential Building New Building

Description: Proposal to construct a new 1 storey building with 2 levels below grade. Museum above ground with Hydro Transformer Station below ground. To be constructed on southwest corner of property - lands aquired by Toronto Hydro (new address 25 Rees Street)

Back to Search Results page

The tent is up now, the steam engine is on a ship on its way across the Atlantic, and the rehearsals are underway. Here's an update on the Roundhouse Theatre.

The tent from the west...

RoundhouseP1200828.jpg

and from the south...

RoundhouseP1200802.jpg

and on the east side, the tracks from the miniature railway have been taken up.

RoundhouseP1200803.jpg

One of the questions asked after the announcement of the theatre was made was whether the miniature railway would continue to operate this year. Despite the photo above, I can tell you that a new route has been chosen, and that those tracks are being relaid around the temporary theatre to allow the train continue to run. The railway is one of the Toronto Railway Heritage Centre's greatest revenue generators.

Inside, the tent is vast. You could fit an airliner in here, let alone a steam engine. The curve of the roof suggests the sheds of the great railway stations of England and Europe.

RoundhouseP1200805.jpg

Damien Cruden, director of The Railway Children, stands on the railway track that will become the centrepiece of the set. The steam engine will be shunted in and out of the theatre through the opening in the back.

RoundhouseP1200810.jpg

Lobby areas are being created in the spaces on either side of the main tent. Matthew Gale, of the Touring Consortium explains some of the process of building this temporary yet substantial structure to us.

RoundhouseP1200815.jpg

Just to the southwest of the tent is the Railway Heritage Centre's relocated Don Railway Station. Just as it sold tickets for trains in the past, the building will serve as a ticket office again, this time for The Railway Children.

RoundhouseP1200820.jpg

We'll be back when the engine arrives in a couple of weeks!

Last edited:
The engine arrived yesterday at the Roundhouse Park and is currently parked inside Stall 15. She is being worked on by the crew of TRHA, because there is going to be a press release today at 10am. I will have pictures of the cab interior, up close and personal shots uploaded sometime over the weekend.

I would hope that the TRHC has major plans to capitalize on this event. You couldn't ask for a better opportunity to establish a fledgling site like this within the consciousness of the city. It would also be nice to see some of the other heritage sites partner together with the TRHC. Complicated, I know, but some co-branding and shared advertising along with shared passes for example might spread the love around a bit.

Shots from the unveiling of 'Vicky', or 'Victoria', if you're uncomfortable with the familiar...

RoundhouseP1210276.jpg

RoundhouseP1210250.jpg

RoundhouseP1210251.jpg

RoundhouseP1210252.jpg

RoundhouseP1210259.jpg

No. 563 was built for the London & South Western Railway in 1893. For many decades she hauled express passenger trains between Waterloo Station (London) and Plymouth, servicing the passenger and parcel trade from the Atlantic steam ships. Vicky was restored for the Waterloo centenary in 1948 and is now in the collection of the National Railway Museum in York, UK.

Vicky departed from Liverpool on March 21 and arrived in Halifax on March 28, at which point she was placed on a flatbed train car and traveled to Toronto. She was unloaded and craned into place at the Roundhouse Theatre, ready to make her North American theatrical debut more than a century after coming into the world. This is the first time Vicky has ever been outside of Britain.

RoundhouseP1210263.jpg

RoundhouseP1210264.jpg

RoundhouseP1210256.jpg

RoundhouseP1210257.jpg

Above and below, director of The Railway Children Damian Cruden, and producer Matthew Gale of The Touring Consortium

RoundhouseP1210262.jpg

Meanwhile, work continues inside the tent to prepare the venue for the play...

RoundhouseP1210265.jpg

And for those concerned with the miniature steam train that runs around the site, a new loop has been completed in the park which avoids the tent.

RoundhouseP1210275.jpg

RoundhouseP1210274.jpg

It's movie time!

[video=youtube;uJZ0ztwiZv4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJZ0ztwiZv4[/video]

The Railway Children has now been playing for a week, and the Roundhouse Theatre will be open this Saturday and Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM, to give people the chance to check out the facility and get a good look at Vicky, the locomotive brought over from Britain. Here are some recent pics from inside and out.

RailKidsP1210576.jpg

RailKidsP1210568.jpg

RailKidsP1210575.jpg

RailKidsVickypano.jpg

RailKidsP1210561.jpg

RailKidsP1210547.jpg

Last edited:
Hmm, a shitty brewery or a shitty furniture store in this historic building. Yeah, screw museums and cultural attractions.

While I don't see why we would have chain retail like Leon's in this building, Steam Whistle seems like a good use of the building. I don't drink beer, so can't speak personally to the quality of their product, but while everyone is entitled to their opinion, I've heard people say they enjoy it. It's an independent brewery, producing a local product on site, has regular tours of the buildings, hosts multiple events including (as I recall) art exhibits and a regular concert series - all while proudly showcasing the heritage building. As far as I am concerned, it's a fairly compelling cultural attraction. As I said, I don't drink beer, but even I am interested in one day going.

As for museums, isn't the Toronto Railway Museum also in the roundhouse?

Yup, they have three of the bays.

Back