News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.7K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 468     0 

John Street Roundhouse: Toronto Railway Heritage Centre, Steam Whistle, The Rec Room

While I don't see why we would have chain retail like Leon's in this building, Steam Whistle seems like a good use of the building. I don't drink beer, so can't speak personally to the quality of their product, but while everyone is entitled to their opinion, I've heard people say they enjoy it. It's an independent brewery, producing a local product on site, has regular tours of the buildings, hosts multiple events including (as I recall) art exhibits and a regular concert series - all while proudly showcasing the heritage building. As far as I am concerned, it's a fairly compelling cultural attraction. As I said, I don't drink beer, but even I am interested in one day going.

As for museums, isn't the Toronto Railway Museum also in the roundhouse?

Yes. The TRM and a brewery are a much better draw for the pre/post-game crowd and visitors to Ripley's.

While I don't see why we would have chain retail like Leon's in this building, Steam Whistle seems like a good use of the building. I don't drink beer, so can't speak personally to the quality of their product, but while everyone is entitled to their opinion, I've heard people say they enjoy it. It's an independent brewery, producing a local product on site, has regular tours of the buildings, hosts multiple events including (as I recall) art exhibits and a regular concert series - all while proudly showcasing the heritage building. As far as I am concerned, it's a fairly compelling cultural attraction. As I said, I don't drink beer, but even I am interested in one day going.

As for museums, isn't the Toronto Railway Museum also in the roundhouse?

That so-called museum is a half-assed joke at best.

That so-called museum is a half-assed joke at best.

What an insightful critique. Actually there is nothing "half-assed" about it - the volunteers have worked quite hard on it, and it gets good reviews online. Sure, it could use a lot more investment, but what they've done with what they've got is apparently quite remarkable from what I've heard. And their twitter feed is fantastic for anyone who likes Toronto history.

Sorry that the current uses (the brewery and the museum) are so "shitty" and "half-assed" in your view. Other than your eloquent critiques, they seem to be generally well received.

What an insightful critique. Actually there is nothing "half-assed" about it - the volunteers have worked quite hard on it, and it gets good reviews online. Sure, it could use a lot more investment, but what they've done with what they've got is apparently quite remarkable from what I've heard. And their twitter feed is fantastic for anyone who likes Toronto history.

That's my point. I'm not crapping on the good work of the volunteers, who have little support. My point is that the museum is worthy of far more investment, but it's just not a priority for our corporate city.

Other than Yonge St, this is a great choice of location. This area usually feels pretty desolate during the daytime.

Our front page story is here.

From the front page story:

"The facility will boast an upscale casual restaurant with an open kitchen and "eatertainment-style" dining in a designated games area. This attractions space will feature a range of interactive and amusement games complementing traditional recreational activities like pool, shuffleboard and ping pong."

It's the stick-in-the-mud in me talking, but that sounds awful.

From the front page story:

"The facility will boast an upscale casual restaurant with an open kitchen and "eatertainment-style" dining in a designated games area. This attractions space will feature a range of interactive and amusement games complementing traditional recreational activities like pool, shuffleboard and ping pong."

It's the stick-in-the-mud in me talking, but that sounds awful.

Right on Skeezix--it sounds like a repeat of this past weekend's NBA concert tent--aka no sleep 'til 4am at any time this weekend. No, thank you.

Back