News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.9K     1 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 890     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.4K     3 

Highway Expansion

The 404 extension is not unreasonable, and despite my reservations about ramming a highway through the Marsh, the Bradford Bypass + 404 extension combo does make a fair amount of sense, depending on how much development actually takes place (this applies moreso to Queensville than to Keswick). The rail corridor from Newmarket to Georgina is gone, so unless a new one is carved out of farmland and greenbelt, GO service can't do much - except for GO buses, which would take the highway. It's a shame, because such a rail line could have a stop right in Sharon and Queensville before running somewhere up to Keswick. Widening Leslie would have to be done over some local residents' dead bodies, while Woodbine can only handle so much traffic (and is a 6 lane mega road really any better than a 6 lane highway? I don't think so.). Extending the 404 and building the Bradford Bypass may not be critically necessary, but they would be both used and useful. I'd rather they build both highway projects rather than widen almost every road in York Region to 4+ lanes, which there could be pressure to do.

The DVP is already well over capacity. By some estimates its running at well over double its capacity. And the onramp to the DVP at the 401 is an absolute mess. It's ridiculous that the DVP gets traffic jams at 2am. All this would do is alleviate that issue. by re-distributing existing traffic more evenly.
So how could creating a funnel from the east *not* turn the southern section of the DVP into a multi-storey parkade without widening it to 10 or 12 lanes?

I recognize the concern that a new highway would attract new drivers. I hardly think that's the case here given that it's running through mostly settled area.
Yes, but it would enable even more sprawl on the outer reaches, like North Pickering, Sutton, etc.

The GO improvements are certainly needed and will help. However, there is no way they will complete relieve the DVP congestion. This region is going to absorb millions of newcomers in the coming decades. Some are going to drive.
I don't get it: how will creating a funnel of traffic relieve DVP congestion? If anything the bottleneck is only shifted south: not an improvement.

And our businesses will still need roadways to deliver goods and such.
We could embark on a strategy to shift commuters to transit, which would allow more space on the road for trucks.

Neither I nor the authors of 'Get Toronto Moving' suggest building this highway as an alternative to improving transit. In reality, both are needed. Transit is needed to move people. Roads are needed to move everything else. That's reality. The orthodoxy that we should build no roads at all serves no one.
There are definitely some highways that need expanding (such as 401 between the 427 and 409...eek), but what is needed in the long term (starting from now) is a fundamental paradigm shift given the factors beyond the control of Metrolinx or City Hall or even Queen's Park and Ottawa.

What we should not do are build roads out in the middle of nowhere that attract car-friendly development...like the 407. There's nothing with having a proper highway/arterial road system in developed areas. Does anyone, for example, consider Manhattan to be a poorly planned mess for having so many highways? They provide excellent transit as an alternative and that's what keeps people off the roads. Merely choking the city with traffic, reduces productivity, creates smog and will only incrementally increase the desire to take transit...more than likely it will convince residents and businesses to relocate.
Manhattan was lucky to dodge a slew of bullets from Robert Moses. His proposal was to build east-west highways across Midtown and Lower Manhattan, while the subway was neglected for many years. Besides, traffic in Manhattan is awful anyways.

It would merely shift traffic off the 401 and north DVP to the new highway.
So what happens south of Eglinton? Do all the extra traffic magically disappear?

The main bottlenecks are usually north of Eglinton anyway, around Wynford for example. The proposal also includes an extension to Bayview that would also help redistribute traffic going to downtown and midtown more evenly.
First, the bottleneck will certainly be shifted south. Second, Bayview and the surrounding streets such as Don Mills and Laird would be swamped by the ripple effect. We need to see things with the network effect in mind.

You do realize that even Metrolinx isn't proposing to have 24 hour GO service to north of Newmarket right. Like it or not, highways and cars are needed in our society and are part of our transportation mix. Residents who live north of Newmarket should have the same reasonable access to public roads as the rest of us. Indeed, they won't have the same access to transit as the rest of us.
The area already has a decent system of arterial roads that serve the traffic needs adequately. It is not as if extending the 404 will be the first time residents in Sutton, Georgina, etc see paved roads. In your words, we should not build roads to the middle of nowhere that attract car friendly development.

Getting back on topic....approaching the core from the east is far different that approaching from the West. In the west you have the option approaching from the South West on the QEW or from the North-West via the 427. There is nothing equivalent to the 427 in the east end. The east is served by one highway: the 401.
If you need to be symmetrical, the 427 in the east end is the DVP. The QEW in the east end would have been the expressway cutting through Scarborough that was never built. The equivalent of this expressway along the hydro corridor would have been the Crosstown Richview Expressway which also was never built.

And that's likely one of many reason why Durham region has lagged in development compared to the Mississauga.
Certainly, but this is not necessarily a negative and nothing dictates that the GTA has to be symmetrical. Building this highway to serve growth in the Durham region is circular logic.

Anyway, Metrolinx is considering roads in addition to transit. I am hoping that this is one idea they give some serious consideration.
If they are not in the pockets of developers, they would most likely brush this aside.

can people stop quoting every sentence? It is ridiculous. God invented the paragraph for a reason.

The area already has a decent system of arterial roads that serve the traffic needs adequately. It is not as if extending the 404 will be the first time residents in Sutton, Georgina, etc see paved roads. In your words, we should not build roads to the middle of nowhere that attract car friendly development.

"Adequately" is a subjective term, and fails to take a roughly 75% population increase and over 100% employment increase in the next 25 years into consideration. Some parts of northern York Region have only recently seen their roads paved, actually. If all the planned development goes through, it'd be wildly irresponsible to not provide adequate roads. Remember, there is no rail corridor to Keswick, and even if one was purchased and built (which should be done, if only to allow Queensville to develop around a rail station), many roads would still end up being widened, a mostly undesirable process costing a relatively vast sum of money...widened arterial roads could also actually trigger development pressures in more areas than what just the highway would do.

^ Similarly, I would suggest that if we are going to develop the east, it will preferable to build this (Scarborough Highlands) highway than expand the 401 to build in capacity...which can't be done in some places. As proposed by the Toronto Party, we can also build in rail infrastructure simultaneously to create a major transportation corridor.

As for the Toronto party...at least there's somebody advocating for Toronto! What should be noted is that their transit ideas are actually in line with what many in this forum want.

Well, if it seems thoroughly thought-out, why not: James Alcock is the Chair of The Toronto Party Transportation Committee.
http://www.gettorontomoving.ca/index.html

But beware: there's a touch of "Jane Jacobs Is Evil" axe-grinding here...

"Adequately" is a subjective term, and fails to take a roughly 75% population increase and over 100% employment increase in the next 25 years into consideration.
But this 75% population growth is only possible if the highway is extended. If the highway is not extended then this 75% growth would not exist. It's circular logic.

Some parts of northern York Region have only recently seen their roads paved, actually. If all the planned development goes through, it'd be wildly irresponsible to not provide adequate roads.
But none (or very few) of the development would be possible without a six lane highway into it. Circular logic, circular logic, circular logic.

^ Similarly, I would suggest that if we are going to develop the east, it will preferable to build this (Scarborough Highlands) highway than expand the 401 to build in capacity...which can't be done in some places. As proposed by the Toronto Party, we can also build in rail infrastructure simultaneously to create a major transportation corridor.
How would this Scarborough highway address the 401 east of Morningside? Traffic from the Durham Region is not being teleported to the end of the Scarborough highway. Without expanding the 401 into Pickering, it is worthless.

But this 75% population growth is only possible if the highway is extended. If the highway is not extended then this 75% growth would not exist. It's circular logic.

But none (or very few) of the development would be possible without a six lane highway into it. Circular logic, circular logic, circular logic.

Newsflash: growth is possible without highway construction. Your argument is highly illogical. Growth is happening and will continue to happen. Georgina would continue to grow even without new housing construction due to transition of existing cottage stock into commuter dwellings. Growth is equally likely (and there'd be pressures for more widespread growth) with road widenings...4 lanes on Leslie, Woodbine, Warden, Hwy 48, etc., would also pave the way to growth. An additional 250K people would be extremely unlikely without a new highway, but we're talking about more like 25K people in Georgina, a few new subdivisions (most of this growth could be handled in one concession block, Woodbine/Glenwoods/Queensway/Ravenshoe). A 4 (or 6) lane Woodbine and a 4 lane Leslie would also be enough to trigger Queensville's development plans.

I have a radical idea: don't extend the 404 into the middle of nowhere. Of course this government is in the pocket of sleazy developers (who thankfully will have little work in the next few years).

That's a pretty dubious claim considering that this government enacted the toughest greenbelt and growth restriction law in North America, enraging all suburban developers. It's not perfect, but it's certainly not something that someone in the pocket of developers would do.

If we were serious about transit oriented development, a regional rail line would be built into the heart of Queensville before the community is developed. It would cost only a few million, and it would allow the new town to be built around transit, rather than roads.

Last edited:
But beware: there's a touch of "Jane Jacobs Is Evil" axe-grinding here...
Ideology in general is predicated on axe grinding. What is Transit City if not a way for"'Robert Moses is Evil" type to finally get revenge for the Gardiner & Spadina expressways? It's still better than no ideology though, then you end up with Toronto City Council that can't agree on anything coherent.

To me building another highway or two seems logical in the core, given that we are now going to extend the existing highways and development 60 km in each direction. No matter our resolve to take millions of cars off the road, and I do believe they will largely succeed at this, we will still need some new highway capacity. Metrolinx's own targets for trip share will continue to generate an immense amount of new traffic. However, that's to be mitigated by smarter road design, apparently, and no significant new roads. To me that does not add up. I am skeptical that a few roundabouts and better designed on-ramps are going to dramatically improve traffic. And I am also interested to see how they'll pull off the implementation of roundabouts given this land's notable unfamiliarity and possible hostility to the concept.

Last edited:
Yeah, except there just isn't any room in the downtown core for another freeway. Spadina is definitely dead, the Annex is there. An extension of Black Creek drive would cut through Parkdale-Swansea, making it an even worse area than it already is. I mean, where would one put a freeway in downtown toronto??

Back