News   Jul 12, 2024
 970     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 843     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 343     0 

GO Transit: Union Station Shed Replacement & Track Upgrades (Zeidler)

That doesn't sound like a real metric to me. The concourse is where people will spend much of their time, it is where the capacity is being adding, and it is new functional space. The new roof is only eye candy only visible for the brief few minutes you are on the platform but do nothing to add function or capacity to the space.

I'm not talking from a technical perspective, I'm talking from the perspective of the average person. Yes, adding capacity is all well and good, but I would think the average person would notice the asthetic changes more than the would the operational changes. They may notice that stuff has changed, but it will be the visual changes that will have the most impact on them.

I'm not talking from a technical perspective, I'm talking from the perspective of the average person.

So you are saying the average person is going to notice that the train shed is pretty more than they are going to notice a new mall and a GO concourse that is more than double its original size? So the average person really wants gravy more than substance?

So you are saying the average person is going to notice that the train shed is pretty more than they are going to notice a new mall and a GO concourse that is more than double its original size? So the average person really wants gravy more than substance?

I'm saying they're going to notice both. But they're likely to think "oh, this new GO concourse looks really nice" as opposed to "wow this GO concourse can handle twice the number of people as the old one". Many people are oblivious to technical improvements, it's the aesthetic improvements that catch their eye.

Many people are oblivious to technical improvements, it's the aesthetic improvements that catch their eye.

Agreed, more striking aesthetic changes trend to draw more attention, visually. People I know outside the industry seem to be very aware of the glass atrium but for the most part have no idea about or are not as excited about whats going on underneath.

Of course functionally the new concourse and underground mall is far more important and from an engineering perspective its the more impressive feat.

So we should spend way more than 1% on station art because people barely notice the rest, which counters the anti-gravy mantra. Gravy seems to be more important to the average Joe I guess.

I don't know about that, but what I do know is that the shed as is, looks like garbage. But it goes just beyond appearances, there is functional aspect behind replacing it. Its dark and grungy and I'm tired of having water dripping all over me just because it rains. The roof is clearly rotting away and pieces of concrete are falling off it everywhere you look, kinda a safety hazard if you ask me. Besides have you seen an aerial of the place? Its something you'd see in a 3rd world. Its a disgrace to the city, just down right pathetic. Having said all that, I never said that its the most important aspect of the rehabilitation, simply that it'll be the most visually striking.

Thanks for the pics raptor. I wonder what's the cinderblock box around the base of the steel columns - there was never anything like that in the renderings and if it stays it has the potential of making things look really quite ugly.

AoD

Thanks for the pics raptor. I wonder what's the cinderblock box around the base of the steel columns - there was never anything like that in the renderings and if it stays it has the potential of making things look really quite ugly.

AoD

The cinderblock box isn't really around the steel column, it's right in front of it. My only guess is that it's an elevator shaft. I'm probably wrong, but I have no other guesses. By the way, in the second pic you can see the base of another (future) vertical column - to the right of the red cone. And 3 dark vertical columns laying on the ground, too.

A couple shots from my walk today:

6371963231_97f8d78906_b.jpg

6371965769_9751ca906c_b.jpg

And...we're done..now come s the roof! What a balancing act that's would be. It is definitely coming along and it is great to see the visual progress.

I am wondering however, what the blue structural steel is? It's forming some sort of strcutural base or element but I am not sure for what?

Pfives

And...we're done..now come s the roof! What a balancing act that's would be. It is definitely coming along and it is great to see the visual progress.

I am wondering however, what the blue structural steel is? It's forming some sort of strcutural base or element but I am not sure for what?

Pfives

Diagonal columns need support during construction? Chat up some structural guys at Stantec.

Back