News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 925     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 358     0 

GO Transit: Union Station Shed Replacement & Track Upgrades (Zeidler)

Thanks BMO for the info. about the Coach Canada terminal possibly and smartly moving down to this improving transit hub. Union would be an even more dynamic and important Hub with these added and needed transit options situated down there (and closer to the on-ramps to the highways that commuter buses need!).

Whoever owns the land at Bay and Dundas would be in for a windfall if they sold it or leased it out if the Coach Canada terminal vacated the area.

I'd assume it would be sold to a condo or office developer. Those two terminal sites could easily fit 3 point tower condos.

That's the entire project, no? Aren't the green roof and glass canopy supposed to be finished by 2012?

Nope!!

If you visit the headhouse or look at it from the convention centre today, only track 11 and 12 roof is being worked on at this time.

The plan calls for taking 2 tracks out of service to do all the work including the placement of the glass canopy over those tracks until you get to track 1 and 2.

The last of the glass canopy is schedule to be done late 2015.

There is a lot of unseen work taking place before the glass canopy can be install. Its has almost been 1 year just doing track 11-12 and that saying 6 years of construction for the whole thing. A few surprises have shown up and that delays the schedules.

The project is behind schedule by a year or more, that saw the addition of the crane to the project to speed things up so it get it back on schedule.

the concepts show a building being built behind the existing postal office (current GO bus terminal) and there would be multiple floors/ levels of bus bays for both GO Transit and Coach Canada, Greyhouand, etc.

I wonder if the plan would be to build it in sections so that the current GO bus terminal could remain open (there is no way this could be closed given the pasenger volumes)? The parking lot behind the Federal building is pretty narrow for what would be a major bus terminal.

In any case, it's reassuring to hear that this is still being talked about. It would be great if a better connection to union could also be incorporated (undergound to the new Union concourse?).

The Bremner plan is a dumb idea, and it will be an operation nightmare where it connects to the existing tunnel under ACC. The line will go underground in front of ACC, which will have an impact on that area. The real problem is getting the cars onto and off the existing tunnel tracks when more cars will be using that tunnel after the extension to the QQ line east is done. This includes improvement of the existing service also.

Not only are you going to have more cars going east on the new QQ line for the Waterfront development, you are going to get some 504 cars running from Broadview Station by Cherry St. Maybe a few 501's also.

TTC wants to bring a Bathurst and Spadina cars along this Bremmer line.

Until TTC finds the money to build the mickey mouse new loop that only good for today ridership, not 2040, this line is dead.

As for the bus terminal, TTC has declare this as surplus land and being turn over to Built Toronto for sale. The Bus terminal days are number and could be gone within the next 10 years.

Where the new terminal is to be located has yet to be decided, with 120 Harbour location being the front runner, not the STQ site. This relocation has been poorly plan and looked at for decades.

The amount of ridership coming in from Long Branch will be very small to the point of having long headways.

I'd assume it would be sold to a condo or office developer. Those two terminal sites could easily fit 3 point tower condos.

I hope I'm not the only one who thinks that the original terminal building fronting Bay should be preserved in some meaningful fashion.

Whoever owns the land at Bay and Dundas would be in for a windfall if they sold it or leased it out if the Coach Canada terminal vacated the area.

Leasing it for what...unless a high end Lamborghini mechanical shop sets up shop there. lol:D..i personally think it should all be torn down for development except maybe the front historical facade.

I have a copy of an old report about sites for a new bus terminal, including one as BMO describes. It was to be on multiple levels and it would be partly built into the rail corridor. As GO buses are hopefully steadily replaced by trains, GO will require less bus terminal space at Union.

I have a copy of an old report about sites for a new bus terminal, including one as BMO describes. It was to be on multiple levels and it would be partly built into the rail corridor. As GO buses are hopefully steadily replaced by trains, GO will require less bus terminal space at Union.

Milton has the most buses, and I don't see the vast majority of them being replaced by trains any time soon.

I hope I'm not the only one who thinks that the original terminal building fronting Bay should be preserved in some meaningful fashion.
Absolutely; it played a major role in "Adventures in Babysitting" so it's clearly historical. :)

Maybe the hall of the terminal building in some form, but the bus shed has nothing significant about it.

The bus shed's "significant" as part of the total package, so to speak (and unlike the Bush sheds, it's "architecturally integrated"). All in all, if you want the early-30s "intercity coach terminal" experience, it's an essential element (though I regret that the original brick pavers were replaced by Unilockers).

As far as "preservation in some meaningful form goes": lest we forget, it all *was* "preserved in some meaningful form" already, some two decades ago (yes, acknowledgment and selective restoration of heritage qualities played a part in the reno-rehab)

The 1% rule is applied to TTC projects. The Union station makover on the TTC side does contain a new theme and art piece. I'm not sure all city projects include the same budget.

Back