News   Jun 25, 2024
 238     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 446     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 439     0 

GO Transit: Union Station Shed Replacement & Track Upgrades (Zeidler)

So,if we ever needed a Grand Central type of solution for more track, this area would be very challenging to bury any tracks.
I don't think we will ever need that type of expansion. By the time that scenario approaches, the Station will be so old. It would be better to tear down everything and rebuild anyways

So,if we ever needed a Grand Central type of solution for more track, this area would be very challenging to bury any tracks.
Union with a more efficient USRC layout will never need another layer of tracks below the station (HFR excluded), but in previous proposals to add another set of platforms below Union, they would be placed under the streetcar line:
Screen Shot 2022-01-21 at 11.30.11 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-01-21 at 11.30.47 PM.png
IMG_9063.jpeg
GO-Transit-Simcoe.jpeg
IMG_9062.jpeg

Union with a more efficient USRC layout will never need another layer of tracks below the station (HFR excluded), but in previous proposals to add another set of platforms below Union, they would be placed under the streetcar line:View attachment 573708View attachment 573709View attachment 573710View attachment 573711View attachment 573712
So it has been thought up.
My thinking was that with GO RER and Via HFR, for efficient service, the number of platforms may not be sufficient to ensure on time scheduling. Have 1 track for GO RER under the existing platforms and have the existing platforms for any GO non RER and any other intercity service.

So it has been thought up.
My thinking was that with GO RER and Via HFR, for efficient service, the number of platforms may not be sufficient to ensure on time scheduling. Have 1 track for GO RER under the existing platforms and have the existing platforms for any GO non RER and any other intercity service.
GO RER/Expansion service levels will be fine with the current platforms, which is being modified to be much more efficient for operations and more spacious for passengers. I’m sure VIA has been taken into account for this too.

HFR though, not sure what they’ll do but if it’s going to be this scoped-increased bullet train that it’s now said to be, I imagine platforms will be built under Union specifically for it.

I believe the plan was to put Lakeshore services in a tunnel to leave room for everything else. Another option was a terminal tunnel for some services from the west (Barrie and Kitchener) since more lines come from that direction.

Back