News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 960     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 362     0 

GO Transit: Union Station Shed Replacement & Track Upgrades (Zeidler)

A huge mobile crane is sitting on platform 25. I expect a crane to be erected within a week. There was some kind of tour provided by GO personnel (with hard hats) to some folks who were taking pictures of this crane. This took place on platform 26.

unionjly29.jpg
If only the train shed over Tracks 11 and 12 matched the original Bush train shed structure. I was hoping that they would rebuild the Track 11/12 shed during the renovation, perhaps using parts removed to make way for the glass atrium.

If only the train shed over Tracks 11 and 12 matched the original Bush train shed structure. I was hoping that they would rebuild the Track 11/12 shed during the renovation, perhaps using parts removed to make way for the glass atrium.

They did rebuild (or are about to finish rebuilding) the trainshed over tracks 11 and 12. They don't match the rest of the structure because it was built later than the rest of it. Had they rebuilt it to match the rest of the structure it would not be historically accurate.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Many non-phone photos to follow once camera batteries are in better shape.

One side of the crane has a GO sign, the other has an Aecon sign. Both signs look quite deep - I expect them to be backlit.

Phone teaser for now:

6039801007_d4a3f4734a_b.jpg

6040169285_aa2462ac78_b.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the update and pics! This transit hub is really going to be quite the sight for a lot of people coming into the city.

Best series of photos for a crane installation ever? Thanks for the awesome post, such an exciting project!
And wow that's one long jib.

I agree, great sequence of shots. And my guess is the long jib is to reach the loading area. It's a pretty big roof they have to cover, and they have to store all of the construction materials off to the side.

I think that for most people who haven't really been paying attention to this project, the crane is the first real sign of the roof replacement.

I don't get down there to Union to often but I do appreciate this needed investment and improvement. This project is going to improve the aesthetics of Union for sure, but is it going to help increase capacity- either more and/or larger platforms? I saw some plans on-line 5 years ago when I moved here from Vancouver and it included a better streetcar roundabout- that had docking stations for more then just two routes- I think it showed 3 or 4 streetcar (or LRT) routes with each having their own platform not interfering with the other routes hopefully these plans are still in the works.

Also I have mentioned this before, but, when I moved here from Vancouver I lived in a medium sized city for over a year that didn't have GO buses- it just had Coach Canada buses and I had to take one of those to Toronto- the thing was that the Coach Canada Terminal was way up Bay near Dundas- and I had to make my way back down to get to Union to get a connecting GO bus! I always wished they had put the Coach Canada terminal somehow (I am sure it is possible) in with this Union Station reno. I think it would be even a better gateway to the city of Toronto if the Coach Canada travellers and the GO commuters all met and made their transfers at this hub or went to their destinations.

I am glad that this Union project is really starting to take shape though!

I saw some plans on-line 5 years ago when I moved here from Vancouver and it included a better streetcar roundabout- that had docking stations for more then just two routes- I think it showed 3 or 4 streetcar (or LRT) routes with each having their own platform not interfering with the other routes hopefully these plans are still in the works.
Still in the works - but unfunded. It would be a separate project, and is related to streetcar expansion on Queens Quay East and Bremner. The second platform for the subway station (also a separate project) is under construction though, and provides a direct connection from the new Yonge north platform to the streetcar loop.

Back