News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 373     0 

GO Transit: Union Station Shed Replacement & Track Upgrades (Zeidler)

I cannot see how another platform can be built south of track 27 unless you remove a track. Even if you did that, there still not that much room to put it in.
I assume that's exactly what they would do - remove a track.

Good photos!

Thanks for the photos. Nice to finally see some visible signs of progress. Opening up the southern wall is going to make a huge impact. I'm a little afraid of picture number 6 since the stairwells are supposed to be sheltered under rectangular glass boxes or have low glass railings. The old style entrances are supposed to be mostly removed.

I'm assuming they will redo all the platforms themselves in the manner of 10/11 and 26/27 which would make everything look tidy.

What is preventing them from making the entire platform level with the train floor? That platform design is nearly level, but not quite.

Also, are they going to actually install overhead wire, now that GO has agreed to electrification? IIRC the original plan was "overhead wire-ready" so it shouldn't require too much design. If there was ever an easy time to electrify the station it would be during the reno.

The loading gauge of North American railways necessitates the set back of the elevated platform from the side of the train when the possibility of freight passing through exists. You would think they would be able to get an exemption for the tracks under the shed though.

They won't install the wire until they have a plan. If they install the wire now they will have something that might not match the rest of the system for maintainability.

I noticed another apparent belwether of Union Station reno progress today: the amusement arcade's papered over...

West of McDonald's somewhere then?

... I guess I never linger much in that somewhat odd place at the bottom of the stairs ... though it used to be a great place to meet arriving passengers ... which is nigh impossible these days as there is too many ways for them to escape (I'd never find people now except for using the cell phone).

I assume that's exactly what they would do - remove a track.

Good photos!

Out of the 3 tracks to the south, you will only gain one extra track for that new platform. Track 27 will be used for both platform and the current track 29 will become 28. The patform width will be narrower

Back