News   Jul 17, 2024
 439     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 970     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 1.1K     2 

GO Transit Sept. 2007 service changes

I know the arrangement, though. I was actually talking all about the belt line earlier in this thread. I don't think it would be impossible to upgrade the belt line to reasonable speeds, get the freights off the TH&B line through Hamilton, and keep passenger service consolidated in downtown Hamilton.

The passenger mainline through Guelph, for example, passes through equally residential neighbourhoods. I don't see why they can't do that in Hamilton. Absolute worst case scenario--they elevate the line along the existing route. I think that's wildly unnecessary, though.

The main improvement I would like to see is to convert the old line which is now a trail up the escarpment back to a rail line with service to Hamilton Airport. Using the Belt Line for VIA would be nice as well since the GO station is located closest to downtown.

I cannot believe VIA would relocate to Hunter Street, for the reasons mentioned by Red Rocket. The tracks, east of downtown, run through miles and miles of mainly residential areas. There does not appear to be anything wrong with the concept of a new station on the north end of James Street. It would still be reasonably close to downtown.

We are used to the idea of GO and VIA being located in the same places, at several stations, but I don't know that it's actually that important.

The City could close Hughson St to local car traffic and have trolleys or streetcars running up and down to the GO Station to the old CN Station to hopefully the new VIA station location. GO Station faces Hughson St and the old CN Station also faces Hughson St. Perfect opportunity.

Voting for dollars
Hamilton has become a focal point for provincial politicians determined to scoop up fresh ground. Will that translate into economic opportunity for this city in the form of dollars from Queen's Park?

348450_3.JPG

How long will it be for Hamilton to get hourly GO Train service?

October 06, 2007
Daniel Nolan
The Hamilton Spectator

Hamilton has been front and centre on the radar of all three major political parties this election.

Will that focus play to Hamilton's advantage as it struggles to chart a new economic course?

Some of the candidates are certainly giving voice to the issue on the hustings.

Chris Robertson, running for the Progressive Conservatives in Hamilton Centre, has talked about how Hamilton will benefit under his party's plan to move 10 per cent of government office jobs out of Toronto.

Nerene Virgin, running for the Liberals in Hamilton East-Stoney Creek, said she's talked with the Hamilton Chamber of Commerce about the economy and believes the province should encourage sustainable manufacturing that won't compete with China.

She's not specific, but the Liberals have a $500-million auto sector fund (the NDP have proposed a $600-million auto fund) that has provided $15 million to McMaster University to develop lighter metal for cars along with business partners Dofasco, Stelco and General Motors. Virgin has also talked about how "smart" businessmen like Ron Foxcroft have made new investments in the city.

"This is Hamilton's decade," she said at a recent debate in Stoney Creek. "We need to believe in the city like they do."

But do the parties understand just what Hamilton needs to steer toward economic success? Through this past week, The Spectator has published stories detailing the insights of business leaders, economists, planners and many others invested in this city's future. Those people talked about the brownfields, city planning, environmental cleanup and investment in change.

Do these visions mesh with what the politicians are promising?

The answer is yes on some issues. For others it is unclear.

Immediate concerns like the toxic-contaminated Randle Reef in Hamilton Harbour and GO Transit are being addressed by the province after years of lobbying by local politicians and the public.

GO trains began hourly service to the Aldershot GO station last month, part of a $1-billion expansion of GO Transit services. Ottawa, Queen's Park and municipal governments split the $76 million bill to add a third rail between Burlington and Bayview Junction, near the Royal Botanical Gardens, with the idea of someday running hourly trains out of the Hamilton GO Station and extending GO train service into Niagara. About 1,000 commuters a day use the Aldershot station and it's expected to double.

But the city is facing other pressures, such as the need for more serviceable land, more money for economic development, west harbour development, downtown redevelopment and dealing with rising social services costs. Hamilton has the highest urban poverty rate in Ontario and the Liberal government has provided the city with $60 million in the last four years to offset that expense.

Some of the parties have policies to cover these aspirations, but it is not clear where others fit.

The Liberals have made direct promises related to Hamilton's future and the Conservatives and New Democrats have signed on to some of them. For instance, the Conservatives support the Liberal government's creation of the Greenbelt, 7,000 square kilometres from Niagara Falls to Peterborough protected from development.

blah blah blah........

http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/260424

The HSR needs to start making Aldershot a satellite hub, at least until full GO service goes to downtown Hamilton. There's now no excuse for having no bus service to Waterdown, even just a "limited service" Monday-Friday route. A bus to Aldershot from Dundas would make sense, as even an extension of the 8-York bus (though Burlington Route 1 does most of this as well). GO at least has an Aldershot-Mac service, but this is something HSR could do, especially with weekend service coming.

I saw the new GO Engine pulling a 10 car train and a spare engine late this morning (about 11am on Lakeshore heading to Union).

I say spare engine because I'm pretty sure it wasn't running. No heat coming from its stack.

Looked pretty good but it was quite a bit louder than the old engines. Bit of a high pitched whine to the sound.

That's crappy news.

How much louder was it?

Hard to say. I ran to the tracks because I heard a new sound. May have seemed louder simply because it was distinct from the usual noises.

If I need to pick a number I would guess about 10db louder. So, noticeably but not significantly.

Keep in mind it was pulling more than the old engine was capable of (10 cars plus a spare engine) and they seemed to be running it full out (accelerating) at Strachan heading toward union. Go trains rarely run full out at that point unless they stop at Exhibition.

The HSR needs to start making Aldershot a satellite hub, at least until full GO service goes to downtown Hamilton. There's now no excuse for having no bus service to Waterdown, even just a "limited service" Monday-Friday route. A bus to Aldershot from Dundas would make sense, as even an extension of the 8-York bus (though Burlington Route 1 does most of this as well). GO at least has an Aldershot-Mac service, but this is something HSR could do, especially with weekend service coming.

I completely agree. Waterdown is a big omission, and could be so easily served at the start with a basic hourly bus timed to meet up with the train.

Hard to say. I ran to the tracks because I heard a new sound. May have seemed louder simply because it was distinct from the usual noises.

If I need to pick a number I would guess about 10db louder. So, noticeably but not significantly.

Keep in mind it was pulling more than the old engine was capable of (10 cars plus a spare engine) and they seemed to be running it full out (accelerating) at Strachan heading toward union. Go trains rarely run full out at that point unless they stop at Exhibition.

There's a youtube video taken today around Richmond Hill Centre of 602 pushing the consist southbound. Credit goes to Tom1122 of CPTDB

Back