News   Jul 17, 2024
 438     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 963     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 1.1K     2 

GO Transit Sept. 2007 service changes

CP is expanding the Aberdeen yard. CP quickly acted on that since they know right next door will be McMaster Innovation Park.

I don't have much time but I'll explain later what the City would like to see happen, it's the most expensive plan so it's unlikely.

Anyways Hamilton City Hall is empty. Mayor and councilors were the last to move. City Hall relocated to City Centre aka Eaton's Centre. Council meetings will now take place in the Convention Centre. Right now City Hall is being gutted with renovation starting early in the new year, $68 million. Already there's talk of some things can't be saved, like council chamber.

This is going off-topic again, but how many of you know that the clocks on the top of Eaton Centre/City Centre are from the old City Hall that the current late 1950s one replaced that was roughly at the same site?

As for Aberdeen Yard, why would CP expand it for a high-tech business district? I wouldn't think McMaster Innovation Park would be much of a carload generator. Unimaginative's idea of CP using CN's trackage rights makes sense I guess. It would be nice though to have GO and VIA trains out of the same station like before though, and the TH&B station building is perfect for that purpose.

When are the new locos going to be used ?

Word on the street is that they'll start arriving next month, if not sooner. Heard somewhere that 602 was spotted in Alberta heading this way. Go's pretty quick about putting new stuff into service, but it could be a few weeks from delivery to its first run.

So yes recently the city financed a report on VIA service to Hamilton. There were about 5 locations looked at. The top two locations were TH&B station and a new station next to Liuna Station (old CN station).

The highest score was placing VIA at the TH&B station. But also at the same time it's the most expensive option. The tunnel is a major hassle. They would also have to spend money on new tracks down Gage Avenue and expropriate some homes near the CP line to connect back on the CN line.

That option will have to require government support from the city, province and the federal government and millions of dollars as well.

If that can't happen a new station next to Liuna Station is welcomed. Though VIA is dead against the idea. They say it's too close to Aldershot plus the fact they've declined the idea over 5 years means it's next to zero of ever happening.

So in reality neither of these options is likely to happen.

What's ultimately will happen and I hate this....there's a lot of land near the future Red Hill and QEW area next to the CN line. That's where VIA wants to go. They've already talked to the land owners....guess who? A power centre. So yea we're likely to see the newest VIA and GO Station next to a Power Centre.

Kiwi, I heard about that report. Is there any copy of it available online? I'd love to get a look at it. You mention tracks down Gage Street. The belt line roughly parallels Gage Street...perhaps they're talking about rehabilitating it as I was talking about?

Here's a link to the VIA rail report

http://www.communitystudy.ca/transportation.htm

There's a new VIA report but I don't have it yet. I'll try to hunt it down.

Here's a google map link of where VIA would like to locate in Hamilton. Currently the land is the upper right corner, currently some scrap yard or something. They went up for sale and quickly got sold do to it's location, near QEW, Red Hill and Centennial Parkway. As you can see it's right next to the CN line.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&q=...pn=0.007284,0.014462&t=k&z=16&iwloc=addr&om=1

i finally got checked for a ticket and well nothing really happened. I thought like 5-10 people would make a run for it but everyone had a ticket.:mad:

The two guys came from both sides so you could not escape. It was quite funny actually.

Thanks for the links, Kiwi. These reports don't seem to mention that it would be possible to extend service to the east from the TH&B station. Of course, the people making these things aren't known for their creativity and vision.

Thanks for the links, Kiwi. These reports don't seem to mention that it would be possible to extend service to the east from the TH&B station. Of course, the people making these things aren't known for their creativity and vision.

Here's a schematic of the tracks in Hamilton.

If VIA Rail were to move into the TH&B station, they would not be able to get back onto their main line due to belt line being unsuitable for passenger rail. It runs through a neighbourhood with lots of railway crossings, meaning slow speeds.

You would have to replace the belt line further east with a high speed connecting line in order to make the diversion into downtown Hamilton worth it. That would be much more expensive than the proposed station along the north end of downtown.

But depending on how much more expensive, it might be worth it.

Back