News   Jul 17, 2024
 55     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 451     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 986     0 

GO Transit Sept. 2007 service changes

Anyone from the accessibility community is total screw if they want to go to Hamilton now.

Aldershot is 100% non accessibility and has been that way since construction started on this station.

Since GO has moved service from Burlington to Aldershot for bus service during the day, accessible riders have no way getting there other than get off at Burlington and use Burlington Transit.

Not every BT bus is low floor and will require the rider to wait until the next bus or so that is. The schedule indicates what bus is accessible.

GO has not posted any information or told the station agents about Aldershot not been non accessible.

It will be interesting to see if GO put buses back in Burlington for off peak to deal with this and how they are going to inform riders of this?

I saw a case where a rider had to stay on the train and go back to Burlington to get a Burlington Bus after I told her there was no elevators or lifts at the station. Even the accessible platform was out of service.

To make the matter worse, she got on at Burlington in the first place after the station agent told her she had to go to Aldershot to get to Hamilton.

Busy GO line due for renovation

Short delays expected as wood replaced between Oakville and Port Credit stations this autumn
Oct 13, 2007 04:30 AM
Tess Kalinowski
Transportation Reporter

A plan to replace 6,000 aging wooden rail ties on GO's busy Lakeshore West line will probably cause minor train delays when the work begins this fall.

But the long-term gains in reliability will be worth the inconvenience to passengers, GO's managing director Gary McNeil said yesterday.

GO has been eager to see the ties replaced on 12.9 kilometres of track between the Oakville and Port Credit stations because it means the trains will be able to travel faster on that stretch.

The track, however, is owned by CN Rail, which until recently didn't see the job as a priority. CN recently wrote to GO officials agreeing to co-operate with a request to increase maintenance and modernize the Lakeshore West line to improve reliability of the commuter service. Now CN has decided to move ahead with replacing the aging rail ties too, McNeil told a GO board meeting yesterday. Although CN owns the track and does the work, GO will pay for the maintenance. The ties will be replaced over about six weeks in November and December, McNeil said. Unfortunately, delays of about five minutes are probably inevitable, he said. But GO will try to tweak its schedule beforehand to minimize the inconvenience to passengers.

"It's something that has to be done," he told the board. "It's going to be a much improved rail corridor for us in the longer term."

Offsetting potential delays, however, is expanded GO train service to Aldershot on the same line.

Starting Oct. 28, GO will offer weekend train service to and from that station, with a total of 36 eastbound and westbound trains on Saturdays and Sundays.

It's good news not only for passengers at Aldershot but also for those using the Appleby, Bronte and Burlington stations, said Bill Jenkins, GO's director of customer services. Now, patrons west of Oakville have to take a GO bus there to catch a train on weekends.

About 2,000 passengers are expected to use the weekend service, about the same number GO picked up when it added weekend trains between Pickering and Oshawa in December. Earlier this month, GO expanded its weekday Aldershot service to 34 eastbound and westbound trains. More rush-hour service will be added when a third track is completed between Aldershot and Hamilton.

GO also expects to bump up train capacity by 20 per cent when it brings its new locomotives on line in late December or January. The new engines can pull 12 passenger cars rather than the current 10.

GO, which has record ridership despite some difficulties keeping trains running on time, is expected to break the 50 million passenger mark this year.

They should just run the trains from end to end and divert the buses otherwise used elsewhere.

I think that this is a good idea, at the very least worth a try. Toronto transit has been hostile to new ideas and technologies for a long time, preferring always to let somebody else try it first. Well somebody has to try everything first, so why can't it be Toronto? A good interim idea would have been to look at hybrids for the recent locomotive purchase. With their frequent stops, commuter locomotives could save a lot of energy through regenerative braking.

All aboard the GO hydrogen express

In the run-up to this month's election, the premier unveiled a plan to build a clean commuter train for GO Transit. Let's hope it wasn't political smoke
Oct 21, 2007 04:30 AM
Tyler Hamilton
Business Reporter

Now that the provincial Liberals have secured another four years in office, it's fair to ask whether Premier Dalton McGuinty's recent talk of locally manufactured, hydrogen-powered GO trains was just election rhetoric or a serious, forward-looking strategy to nurture innovation and create jobs.

McGuinty revealed last month that his government was in early-stage talks with Bombardier to design and develop an emission-free commuter train propelled by hydrogen-powered fuel cells and used by GO Transit.

"It's our goal to get a prototype on the rails here in Ontario within three years of the project launch," McGuinty announced during a visit to a Bombardier manufacturing plant in Thunder Bay.

The idea, while ambitious, carries a certain attraction. Job creation. Export potential. There's also the vision of clean trains being showcased to the world as they run through Canada's largest city.

But for every wide-eyed person in the room who got giddy at the thought of building a hydrogen economy in southern Ontario, there were also skeptics in the crowd who dismissed such a vision as political theatre.

After all, we've been here before with promises of hydrogen-powered cars (see "The Hype" below).

We don't have affordable, mass-produced hydrogen cars on the road today, but from an industrial perspective hydrogen is a $282 billion global market. The world relies heavily on hydrogen for fertilizer production, fuel upgrading, food processing and a number of other applications where demand for the zero-emission gas is growing.

Niche fuel-cell markets have also emerged, costs are slowly falling, and storage technologies are improving, even if profitability remains elusive. Fuel cells running on hydrogen are gaining traction for back-up power, while micro fuel cells are poised to appear in portable commercial electronics. Ballard Power and several other companies, meanwhile, have made a strong business case for using fuel cells to power forklifts.

And then there are trains, or "hydrails," as some call them.

"Hydrogen fuel cells as an application for passenger trains is very real," says Mike Hardt, vice-president of North American services for Bombardier.

In fact, Ontario may have some catching up to do if it's serious about being a world leader in hydrails. A European consortium called The Hydrogen Train concluded a study last year that looked at what it would take to demonstrate a hydrogen train in Denmark by 2010. It has approached all major train manufacturers, including Bombardier, and negotiations are ongoing.

Back in 2001, Bombardier also applied to the European Union for funding as part of a project to develop a hydrogen-powered "Green Train," but the funding request was denied. Activity is also going on in Japan and parts of the United States, such as North Carolina.

Momentum appears to be building, as an international hydrail conference started in 2005 will regroup next June for a fourth gathering in Spain.

"A hydrogen train makes a lot of sense because, unlike a car, fuel volume isn't a problem," says Greg Naterer, a professor of mechanical engineering at the University of Ontario Institute of Technology, which is studying the benefits and barriers to establishing a hydrogen rail corridor in southern Ontario.

Hydrogen and cars aren't an ideal marriage because passenger vehicles have limited space for hydrogen storage. To help save space, hydrogen gas can be pressurized in special tanks at up to 10,000 pounds per square inch, but this adds unwanted weight to a vehicle and, because hydrogen has a much lower energy density than gasoline, still provides only 300 kilometres or so of travel on a single fill.

Liquefying hydrogen through a cryogenic process is another option for saving space and extending travel distance, but weight remains a problem and the energy required to liquefy the gas adds to the cost of the fuel.

Trains, however, don't suffer from the same space and weight restrictions. It's also easier to establish fuelling infrastructure, because a train needs only a handful of filling stations along a predictable corridor. Filling stations for vehicles, on the other hand, are far more numerous and scattered.

David Scott, a former engineering professor at the University of Victoria who recently penned Smelling Land: The Hydrogen Defense Against Climate Catastrophe, says Toronto is an ideal place to demonstrate and deploy hydrogen trains.

"There is no other city in the world that's as well positioned," Scott says. "You'd be cleaning up Toronto, because the current trains run on diesel, and you'd be showing the world how to clean up their transportation."

Toronto is home to Hydrogenics, one of the world's leading fuel-cell developers and an active promoter of turning the GTA into a "hydrogen village." Bombardier also manufactures trains in Ontario, including the GO commuter trains that run past Pickering generating station and close to Darlington station, both of which could become valuable sources of clean hydrogen production.

Scott says he envisions a day when the side of every GO train reads: "GO Hydrogen!" or "H2 GO!" But it won't happen quickly, and that could be the biggest showstopper.

As more train systems are electrified, as battery technologies and hybrid designs mature, and as biofuels become more prevalent, the question is whether Ontario, even if it became a leader in hydrogen trains, could convince the rest of the world that it makes sense to follow.

And if hydrogen trains aren't the future of rail transportation, you can bet hydrogen-powered cars will never evolve beyond million-dollar prototypes.

The hype around hydrogen cars

During the 1990s much of the hydrogen hype came from Canada's own Ballard Power, a stock-market darling at the time that had us all convinced we'd be driving fuel-cell vehicles running on hydrogen by 2010 – or earlier. These cars would emit no greenhouse gases and no smog-causing pollutants. All that would drip out the tailpipe would be water.

But the fuel-cell and hydrogen industries continue to be dogged by high cost, technical challenges related to fuel storage and vehicle mileage, and the logistical nightmare of replacing the current distribution network for gasoline and diesel with a different infrastructure suited to hydrogen.

Competing technologies have evolved in the meantime, closing the advantage gap that hydrogen and fuel cell technologies may have once had. Increased reliance on carbon-neutral biofuels such as cellulosic ethanol, advancements in battery technologies that are leading to more efficiency in hybrid and electric cars, and improvements to conventional engine technologies and vehicle design have together laid out a less expensive and more near-term path to cleaner road transportation.

Hydrogen must also be created – it doesn't occur naturally. This means it must be extracted from a fossil fuel, which results in greenhouse gas emissions, or from water by using electricity, which also results in emissions if the source of the electricity is coal, natural gas or oil.

And if producing hydrogen from electricity is the future, many experts argue it makes more sense – and is more efficient – to simply store the power in batteries.

"Hydrogen is a dead-end from a climate perspective," wrote Joseph Romm, author of the climate-change book Hell and High Water, during a recent email spar with a hydrogen booster. "The sooner people realize that, the sooner we can get around to cost-effective solutions."

Romm, an assistant secretary at the U.S. Department of Energy during the Clinton administration, believes government money funnelled to research and development of hydrogen and fuel cell technologies is a political delay tactic – a way to appear active today by investing in technologies that are forever around the corner.

It's an interesting theory, and the criticism is fair, albeit a tad harsh.

I'm not so sure I'm comfortable with chasing a white elephant. Not after the Scarborough RT anyway.

I've been described as a communist before, but I'd feel more comfortable if the private sector was responsible for the technology development. Chasing a dream is fine, but we can't let building a hydrogen powered locomotive eclipse building an actual transit network.

It is just baffling how people in Toronto seem to be convinced that the RT was some kind of disastrous failure. The only reason it's a failure is because that route should have been subway in the first place. There's nothing wrong with the technology, which has seen highly successful application around the world, and is one of the flagship products of the world's biggest rail equipment manufacturer. I'm sure that if we had built GO-ALRT using the technology, we would be singing its praises.

Transit equipment is such a limited market that there's no way that any private company will speculatively develop a new technology. If the governments who operate the transit systems don't ask them to develop it, it's very unlikely that private companies will.

It is just baffling how people in Toronto seem to be convinced that the RT was some kind of disastrous failure. The only reason it's a failure is because that route should have been subway in the first place. There's nothing wrong with the technology, which has seen highly successful application around the world, and is one of the flagship products of the world's biggest rail equipment manufacturer. I'm sure that if we had built GO-ALRT using the technology, we would be singing its praises.

Transit equipment is such a limited market that there's no way that any private company will speculatively develop a new technology. If the governments who operate the transit systems don't ask them to develop it, it's very unlikely that private companies will.

My problem with the scarborough RT is as follows:

1) it is a orphan line, and will have very little expansion possibilities under transit city.
2) it was originally supposed to be a maglev.
3) UTDC was a crown corporation, meaning that public money was used to develop and manufacture the product. I realize that someone will have to pay for it, but I disagree that we should shoulder 100% of the development cost.

If we were to build an ICTS network in northwest scarborough, with branches heading north into Malvern and Markham, and east to U of T Scarborough and Durham, I would be the first person to sing its praises.

I believe it should be converted to a conventional light rail line and run it as a branch of the Eglinton Transit City line.

^ A maglev? I thought the Scarborough RT was originally supposed to be a conventional streetcar line?? A streetcar line rpobably would have been much easier to expand or convert to subway compared to ICTS.

Also, I thought maglev is for long-distance?

My problem with the scarborough RT is as follows:

1) it is a orphan line, and will have very little expansion possibilities under transit city.
2) it was originally supposed to be a maglev.
3) UTDC was a crown corporation, meaning that public money was used to develop and manufacture the product. I realize that someone will have to pay for it, but I disagree that we should shoulder 100% of the development cost.

If we were to build an ICTS network in northwest scarborough, with branches heading north into Malvern and Markham, and east to U of T Scarborough and Durham, I would be the first person to sing its praises.

I believe it should be converted to a conventional light rail line and run it as a branch of the Eglinton Transit City line.

You're absolutely right about it being an orphan line, and that's exactly what's wrong with it. That says nothing about the technology, though. Whether it was originally designed to be a maglev or not doesn't seem to matter. There was indeed public money used to develop it, but the technology has also created a lot of jobs for Ontario with its export successes. We also developed the CLRV/ALRV which allowed us to maintain our streetcar network when most other cities were abandoning them, but has had no export success.

I think that the RT should be replaced with an extension of the BD subway, which is what most people are transferring to anyway. It would save time and inconvenience for people all across Scarborough.

I think that the RT should be replaced with an extension of the BD subway, which is what most people are transferring to anyway. It would save time and inconvenience for people all across Scarborough.

That works too, but I would be concerned with the loss of stops. An alignment up Brimley or McCowan wouldn't require the rebuilding of Kennedy, but stops at Ellesmere, Midland & McCowan would be eliminated. I fear that too many steps in the direction of keeping the RT orphaned have been taken, although those steps were taken before MoveOntario2020 was part of the picture.

That's a much smaller concern than you might think. McCowan is literally across the street from STC. It's only there because the line has to continue to the yard anyway. Extending the Midland bus a little futher south would barely add any travel time. It's not a very busy stop, and it could potentially be served by a Sheppard subway anyway. Lawrence traffic is almost entirely transfers from the bus, so a subway would make the bus trip shorter as well as eliminate the extra transfer one stop down at Kennedy. Ellesmere station is the least busy in the entire system, so it would hardly be a tragedy to lose it. The TTC didn't even bother building an entrance that is actually accessible from the street.

That works too, but I would be concerned with the loss of stops. An alignment up Brimley or McCowan wouldn't require the rebuilding of Kennedy, but stops at Ellesmere, Midland & McCowan would be eliminated.

Ugh...for starters, only 1850 riders a day use Ellesmere. The Ellesmere bus doesn't connect with it and of the 1850 riders, many of them are kiss'n'riders or people that park near the station - everyone who uses Ellesmere would benefit from a subway stop in a different location.

Midland station is sparsely used, too, only 3830 riders per day. The Midland bus is the main feeder of Midland station (along with some kiss'n'riders) but these bus riders can sometimes get to Kennedy faster if they stay on the bus. When the transfer is worse than the traffic, you know the station has issues and isn't important.

McCowan is so close to STC that it is also expendable...until we know exactly where the subway platform exits will be, the subway may end up being better in every way for virtually all 4920 McCowan riders, too.

There's certainly not more than 2000 people that would be affected at all by the "loss" of these stations, and most of these people would benefit from the subway extension in terms of reliability and travel time.

The TTC wants to build a useless Brimley station, too, probably just so they can say it'll be "lost" by a subway extension.

Ugh...for starters, only 1850 riders a day use Ellesmere. The Ellesmere bus doesn't connect with it and of the 1850 riders, many of them are kiss'n'riders or people that park near the station - everyone who uses Ellesmere would benefit from a subway stop in a different location.

1851 - Add me to that list.

OK, there's 924 people, plus you, that use it. Perhaps you're even among the tens or dozens of people who don't drive to the station, and, thus, might have to walk farther or take a short bus trip to a subway station (perhaps resulting in a quicker overall trip). Why should hundreds of thousands of people be at the mercy of about 100 people?

Back