News   Jul 16, 2024
 197     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 335     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.1K     3 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

If I recall correctly, wouldn't NAFTA's Chapter 11 allow CP to sue the Ontario government if Metrolinx attempted to expropriate?

Metrolinx can expropriate a lot of things, but the right of way of a federally regulated railway is not one of them. The Galt, North Toronto & Belliville subs shall remain in CP's greedy little's hands now and for all times, or so the (Canadian) railway god's decreed.

Metrolinx can expropriate a lot of things, but the right of way of a federally regulated railway is not one of them. The Galt, North Toronto & Belliville subs shall remain in CP's greedy little's hands now and for all times, or so the (Canadian) railway god's decreed.

The government is all too eager to slap back-to-work legislation on railway workers, why would they have any appetite to allow anything to interrupt a major railway's business?

Comparing the cost of expanding the 401/407 to handle additional truck traffic AND the environmental costs AND the lost manufacturing capabilities if you did remove the rights of CP to the grade separation....the grade separation is very cheap. (although I agree that there should be some cost sharing...would be a fun legal discussion)

Do you think it would be possible to run a GO RER train (assuming they end up being single level trains) into that station as well? The reason I ask is because I could potentially envision a branch of SmartTrack/GO RER Toronto running from downtown to Pearson via the same spur and using the same station. The UPX would be express (and more luxurious) option, while the GO RER would do more of a milk run (especially if it was running through a Central Tunnel), and would be the same level of operations as the rest of the RER network.

If platform length is an issue, perhaps the train length can be reduced, and that route paired with one in the east that would have lighter ridership (for example, a route terminating at Unionville).

If I recall correctly, wouldn't NAFTA's Chapter 11 allow CP to sue the Ontario government if Metrolinx attempted to expropriate?

Only if Metrolinx seized it without fair compensation. Because the expropriation process includes compensation arrangements that wouldn't happen.

Also, the federal government is always the one at fault with NAFTA 11, even if its a province or municipality that did it. Newfoundland did something recently (I forget what) that generated an 11 complaint, and it was the federal government that had to handle it in court and pay the bill. This is because the constitution places the federal government in charge of foreign relations which includes free trade agreements.

A couple quick shots by me from today.

JamesNorth GO, Hamilton

9C2C9F82-8234-48F3-90EC-7715BBC915CB_zpsoyrn56k1.jpg

01D96209-0507-4A81-B757-9C905FAAC0BF_zpsgl6p1hqb.jpg

It was a very busy cinstruction site today. Mostly insulation installation.

Side note: JUNOS are in HamOnt this weekend if anyone wants to come visit, should be an exciting time!

Looks like JamesNorth is well on track to be usable with two platforms on time for PanAm Games. There may be a question about a quick elevator install, but assuming they do the tracks, both sides will be reachable by stairs.

Looks like JamesNorth is well on track to be usable with two platforms on time for PanAm Games. There may be a question about a quick elevator install, but assuming they do the tracks, both sides will be reachable by stairs.
Its a given that elevators are the very last thing to be done by GO Transit/Metrolinx for stations and this will be no exception unless a fire is place under the person running this project to get started by April/May with a late June in service date.

The stairs were in when I last saw it a few weeks ago, but not enclose. Lots of people will want to use that small single elevators than use the stairs that have good legs.

The north platform going west of the bridge was receiving steel support for the roof of the platform and it will be the first platform to go into service due to the construction on the south of the south platform.

Agreed, I believe that the Federal Government would likely use declaratory power under Section 92 of the Constitution Act to slap down any such whole expropriation, as they would consider CP's line as "for the advantage of two or more provinces" and fall under their jurisdiction, not the province of Ontario's.

GO Transit no longer believes in escalators; otherwise this would be a good station for them. Yeah, those stairways don't look like a fun climb.
The automatic escalators that start up when people approach them, is good for energy savings and surge situations like this station. Metrolinx needs to reconsider this type of option, as the downhill from James would be ideal. If there is ever any future expansion for this station.

Good point, actually! Has the elevator install/repair backlog been corrected yet? I remember that Strike really screwed with a lot of ppl.

Last edited:
The automatic escalators that start up when people approach them, is good for energy savings and surge situations like this station. Metrolinx needs to reconsider this type of option, as the downhill from James would be ideal. If there is ever any future expansion for this station.

Metrolinx abandoned escalators not due to energy concerns but rather passenger control, they become dangerous in high passenger surge situations. You need a lot of them to disperse 1,200 people from a platform, and Metrolinx usually doesn't want to spend the money to install 3 or 4 escalators on every platform. When you try to squeeze too many people onto it there is a risk of them "piling up" at one end.

Back