News   Jul 16, 2024
 149     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 297     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1K     3 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Would they consider closing the Barrie GO line during construction. It must add a lot to construction to keep the line active during construction. And the passengers can be offloaded to the Spadina line at Downsview - which runs to the same destination and there is probably available capacity too.
If they can't build a track along the edge of the construction, wouldn't it be easier to just run the trains down the Don Valley instead? They'd have to skip York University and Downsview Park stops but could stop at Old Cummer and Oriole.

CP are tough negotiaiors, nothing more. They will hold out for the best possible deal but once they have enough money on the table they will find room for agreement. I'm sure they recognise how they could upgrade at GO's expense.

One interesting thing to note - there is longstanding legal precedent that a railway diamond is controlled by the railway that was there first, and costs are borne by the railroad that came last. In the case of the Davenport diamond, the GO line was there first, in fact it's Ontario's oldest rail line. If Metrolinx knew how to be as tough a bunch of SOB's as CP is, they would have a lot of leverage to negotiate the solution.

Would Metrolinx be able to expropriate a rail line from CP (e.g. the Milton Line)?

IIRC the short turn has already moved up to Eglinton West. When the extension opens they it will move up to either Wilson or Finch West.

No it hasn't. It is currently scheduled to begin later this year, but they also said that in 2012, and 2013, and 2014...

As for when the extension opens, don't hold your breath on the short-turn moving further north right away either. It will eventually be extended to Wilson and then to Finch West, but not for a long time.

Would Metrolinx be able to expropriate a rail line from CP (e.g. the Milton Line)?

They can expropriate anything. The question will be whether the compensation to CP - likely in the high hundreds-of-millions of dollars, and possibly more - will be worth it however.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

See my post above. No wye track to get to the Don Valley.
Ah, you posted while I was writing my post, lol.

Hmm, it looks like it is there on Google Maps - https://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ll=43.816807,-79.392719&spn=0.002231,0.002701&t=h&z=19

Though even if it's been removed, surely it would be no more expensive to reinstate than building a diversion track along the edge of the construction.

Edit - oh, do you mean the other curve ... you'd have to reverse direction of the train.

Last edited:
Last edited:
they have gone down the barrie line during emergencies for a short period of time at the expense of horribel travel time delays.

To suggest that GO divert for several years however seems a bit overkill.

oh, do you mean the other curve ... you'd have to reverse direction of the train.

they have gone down the barrie line during emergencies for a short period of time at the expense of horribel travel time delays.

To suggest that GO divert for several years however seems a bit overkill.

Is it overkill? Versus the rage that GO would face by stopping at Downsview Park and forcing a transfer?

Any public project requiring an environmental assessment process requires identification of impacts and mitigation of said impacts both during construction and operation. It could be argued where to put riders is a serious construction impact that needs to be mitigated. If a diversion could be facilitated, it might be worth it.

How much time would it add to use one of the other wye's, and switch the direction of the train?

Also, I realize all this might be a lot of talking when we don't even know if the track can be shifted around the bridge. But hey, isn't speculating our sport? What the hell else are we doing here?

Hang on ... you mean this isn't a drinking game? I thought I was doing some of you a favour by using certain key words on Friday afternoons ...

Spanish solution!

They can expropriate anything. The question will be whether the compensation to CP - likely in the high hundreds-of-millions of dollars, and possibly more - will be worth it however..

They can't expropriate everything. I don't think they could seize a Federal building. I'm actually curious of the extent to which they can mess with a federally-regulated railway. On the one hand Metrolinx own track and operate trains, hence the "we were here first" argument, but on the other hand they're a provincial agency implementing provincial policy. It's actually pretty interesting, and I'm sure would cost a fortune to resolve.

Last edited:
They can't expropriate everything. I don't think they could seize a Federal building. I'm actually curious of the extent to which they can mess with a federally-regulated railway. On the one hand Metrolinx own track and operate trains, hence the "we were here first" argument, but on the other hand they're a provincial agency implementing provincial policy. It's actually pretty interesting, and I'm sure would cost a fortune to resolve.
I'd expect it would be simpler to separate from Canada than expropriate a railroad.

Though if Ontario were to separate from Canada, it would then be quite simple to expropriate the railroad.

Back