News   Jul 16, 2024
 74     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 824     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 959     1 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

I am curious:
Some Metrolinx projects have less construction going on, and other projects are far more frantic. It seems like few or zero construction people working on it "at the moment", e.g. Burlington GO station and Hamilton JamesNorth station.

Is this because there's a fixed pool of Metrolinx-related construction employees, and they're reallocated to other projects that needs urgency, such as Union revitalization and the UPX? Many projects (not sure which, but many) seem to be run by the same construction company that seems to be prioritizing one project over the other. Will this mean once UPX is up and running in the spring, there'll be a sudden beehive of activity at other places like JamesNorth GO?

(drum118, you seem to be "in" on these kinds of things)

Last edited:
Is this because there's a fixed pool of Metrolinx-related construction employees, and they're reallocated to other projects that needs urgency, such as Union revitalization and the UPX? Many projects (not sure which, but many) seem to be run by the same construction company that seems to be prioritizing one project over the other. Will this mean once UPX is up and running in the spring, there'll be a sudden beehive of activity at other places like JamesNorth GO?

Er, no.

There is no such thing as a Metrolinx construction employee. There are employees who work for private construction companies (or their subcontractors), which bid on projects put out to tender by Metrolinx or the TTC or a developer or a municipality or anyone else who's asking.

At any given moment, there are dozens of different contractors out there doing work on various Metrolinx projects in different cities. Metrolinx doesn't exactly have a giant carnival claw hand that can reach down and pick up an EllisDon employee working on the UP Express station at Union and drop them on the Bondfield construction project at Burlington.

Yeah, exactly. All of their projects are tendered to different companies (well, some might be the same, depends who is the winning bidder). Off the top of my head; Ellisdon is doing the UP Express station at Union, Aecon is doing the station at Pearson, the spur into Pearson went to a partnership between Aecon & Dufferin. I'm not sure who was awarded the work at Weston or Bloor stations. James Street North GO Station was awarded to Kenaidian Contracting. Georgetown South work involved a number of different contractors, such as Kenaidan, Dufferin, Grascan etc.

If you look at Eglinton Crosstown, it gets even more complicated. It is being built by a consortium that involves contractors such as SNC Lavalin, Dragrados, EllisDon, and ACS Infrastructure.

And just today, Plenary Infrastructure (which involves contractors Kiewit and Bird as part of the consortium) won the East Rail Maintenance Facility.

Last edited:
What makes you think that they're going anywhere? They won the tender to operate Deltaport 3 or 4 years ago.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Oh it's not on any factual basis, for sure. They just seemed like a remnant CN/CP venture, just hanging on to their business managing USRC. Happy to see them finding new roads, my grandfather started working for them a while after immigrating here, worked for them in the boiler rooms for four decades.

its a bit of an odd bunch of companies, to be honest. not your typical Bondfield, Ellis Don, etc.

I don't really think so. Kiewit is one of the largest contractors in the world. I think that most years it is even larger than PCL, and it is certainly way bigger than Aecon, EllisDon, or Bondfield. I know that it is uncommon to see them in Ontario, which is likely the reason for the partnership with Bird Construction, which has a big presence here nowadays, despite being from Saskatchewan.

Last edited:
I don't really think so. Kiewit is one of the largest contractors in the world. I think that most years it is even larger than PCL, and it is certainly way bigger than Aecon, EllisDon, or Bondfield. I know that it is uncommon to see them in Ontario, which is likely the reason for the partnership with Bird Construction, which has a big presence here nowadays, despite being from Saskatchewan.

Plenary and Kiewit are part of GrandLinq, which is building the ION light rail project in Waterloo Region.

Plenary and Kiewit are part of GrandLinq, which is building the ION light rail project in Waterloo Region.

I didn't know that! Thanks. I have a friend at Aecon who is working on ION right now, but didn't know Kiewit was part of that consortium.

I see them around every once in a while, but still not as commonly as others. Usually I've seen them as part of a joint-venture (VivaNext and Spadina Subway tunnels are the one that comes to mind) or P3-type project and not going it alone in a more traditional project delivery.

Last edited:
nuH7UzY.jpg

RinFpSB.jpg

Hope this is the right spot for this but GO Transit has releases a Request for Information (RFI) on Merx February 6, 2015 for electric trains.

http://www.merx.com/English/SUPPLIER_Menu.asp?WCE=Show&TAB=3&PORTAL=MERX&State=7&id=PR320074&src=osr&FED_ONLY=0&ACTION=&rowcount=&lastpage=&MoreResults=&PUBSORT=2&CLOSESORT=0&IS_SME=N&hcode=bCigPTEREOxmKEeaYLXY6w%3d%3d

RFI-2014-RFF-009: Supply Electric Multiple Units, Electric Locomotives And Dual Mode Locomotives

Request for Information No. RFI-2014-RFF-009

To supply Electric Multiple Units, Electric Locomotives and Dual Mode Locomotives for Metrolinx GO Transit Fleet.

Metrolinx is issuing this Request for Information in order to gain a further understanding of the possibility of providing Electric Multiple Units, Electric Locomotives and Dual Mode Locomotives for Metrolinx GO Transit Fleet.

Request enquiries and other communications are to be directed to Kim Stuart at (416) 202-5565, or e-mail kim.stuart@metrolinx.com.

Vendor’s who are interested and consider themselves qualified to provide the types of rail equipment described herein, may submit a Response to the Request for Information to the attention of Kim Stuart, Contract Tendering Officer, Procurement and Contract Services, by no later than 4:00 p.m. on Friday, March 6, 2015 via e-mail to kim.stuart@metrolinx.com, quoting “Procurement of Electric Multiple Units, Electric Locomotives and Dual Mode Locomotives for Metrolinx GO Transit Fleet” in the subject line of the e-mail.

Metrolinx reserves the right to reject any or all submissions at its sole discretion.

Last edited:
Interesting. "Vendor's" though.... you'd hope the people writing these things would catch mistakes like that.

Back