News   Jul 16, 2024
 50     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 817     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 955     1 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

JamesNorth GO

BREAKING: Metrolinx announce JamesNorth GO Station (Hamilton) will NOT be ready for PanAm Games!

More to come..

Source: https://mobile.twitter.com/nannymaroon/status/558327201603788801

BREAKING: Metrolinx announce JamesNorth GO Station (Hamilton) will NOT be ready for PanAm Games!

More to come..

Source: https://mobile.twitter.com/nannymaroon/status/558327201603788801
"Not ready" as in "There will be service and platforms but it will still look like a construction site"? (I was already expecting that)

or

"Not ready" as in "No GO train service at all to JamesNorth"? (That's breaking news)

JamesNorth has construction phases that last till year 2017, so I was already expecting the construction site to continue to be a big mess for PanAm 2015. However, with it being a terminus, they can still "make do" with one simple temporary asphalt platform (like the temporary platform at Exhibition) and one simple track siding (for both incoming/outgoing service), no overpass or underpass required yet. They can open temporary service within 2 months if they had to. This isn't news to me, unless there's proof JamesNorth GoTrain service will be cancelled (blasphemy! sacrilege! get the pitchforks! ;) :( )

Last edited:
"Not ready" as in "There will be service and platforms but it will still look like a construction site"? (I was already expecting that)

or

"Not ready" as in "No GO service to JamesNorth"? (That's breaking news)

I'm not at that meeting unfortunately. It seems quite depressing (they also mentioned LRT is up to Hamilton whatever that means).

We'll have to wait for clarification I guess.
I can imagine tracks with a bare-bone platform in time for PanAm. Still disappointing though, especially since our bare-bone stadium isn't complete.

I'm not at that meeting unfortunately. It seems quite depressing (they also mentioned LRT is up to Hamilton whatever that means).

We'll have to wait for clarification I guess.
I can imagine tracks with a bare-bone platform in time for PanAm. Still disappointing though, especially since our bare-bone stadium isn't complete.
I am going out on the limb and say "NO" service to JamesNorth this year.

Limit service in 2016.

With council killing the bus lanes, "LRT" is dead as well for years.

Since the province has promises 100% funding for Hamilton and Mississauga LRT under wave 1, time for both cities hold both the province and Metrolinx feet to the fire on this.

What Metrolinx is trying to do, is get cities to kick in 1/3 as well the feds so they can build more projects with the same amount of $$ to look good.

Right now, Metrolinx is clueless when it comes to contract management as we running projects. JamesNorth fits in with Burlington, Clarkson mess, along with a few others.

When I saw the site last year, didn't think it would be ready in 5 months. The last batch of photos say the same thing. Given there are elevators here, no way will they be ready for the games.

I am going out on the limb and say "NO" service to JamesNorth this year.

Limit service in 2016.

With council killing the bus lanes, "LRT" is dead as well for years.

Since the province has promises 100% funding for Hamilton and Mississauga LRT under wave 1, time for both cities hold both the province and Metrolinx feet to the fire on this.

What Metrolinx is trying to do, is get cities to kick in 1/3 as well the feds so they can build more projects with the same amount of $$ to look good.

Right now, Metrolinx is clueless when it comes to contract management as we running projects. JamesNorth fits in with Burlington, Clarkson mess, along with a few others.

When I saw the site last year, didn't think it would be ready in 5 months. The last batch of photos say the same thing. Given there are elevators here, no way will they be ready for the games.

Yeah. Those parking garages don't inspire a lot of confidence.

Doesn't look like this has been picked up by the media yet?

Yeah. Those parking garages don't inspire a lot of confidence.

Doesn't look like this has been picked up by the media yet?
The Star has said some thing about both stations, but more as a slow day report.

Clarkson has 3 elevators and nothing in place after 6 months since they open up part of it. So much for ODA.

No garage at Burlington, but a new station and bus loop. How simple could that be?. Lisgar saw the same problem as Burlington and they were building it from an empty field.

I have raised the issues at Metrolinx BOD meeting as well talking to various reporters.

This week along, I had X email from GO advising the elevator at Port Credit being out of service at least 3 times in one day let alone the week. Almost the same last week. I can't recall when PC hasn't been out of service at all for a month. They finally stop telling riders to go to Oakville when they only have to go to Clarkson after I kept sending a copy of the email that was sent to me for elevator out of service. It goes hand in hand that I have being saying for years to both GO and TTC as well other systems, one elevator per platform doesn't cut it now.

Come 2026, expect to see lawsuits fly all over the place where there are only 1 elevator and have it out of service a few hours, let alone days, weeks or months. TTC made a huge mistake doing this on the Spadina extension when they could had done it right from day 1.

AODA is a law, and can be amended to grant some additional leeway (especially given that the province has created a large capital mandate here but does not participate in funding all the projects). It will look bad on a government that does it, but...

AODA is a law, and can be amended to grant some additional leeway (especially given that the province has created a large capital mandate here but does not participate in funding all the projects). It will look bad on a government that does it, but...
The province can change it on a dime. If the province won't fund what is necessary it's pretty clear what will happen.

Either way, Toronto is still light years ahead of London, Paris, New York, Montreal, and many other cities.

The province can change it on a dime. If the province won't fund what is necessary it's pretty clear what will happen.

Either way, Toronto is still light years ahead of London, Paris, New York, Montreal, and many other cities.
It amuse me that the US was ahead of us with their ADA, yet they don't have a drop dead date like we do.

We are ahead of Europe on accessibility, but they a leap frogging up to us very quickly. Some county and cities are further along than others even within their own country. I was taken back on what I saw in London and Paris in 2012, as I saw more accessibility than expecting to the point there were 2-3 elevators in many places.

A fair number of old Iron Curtain Counties are moving at fast rate to make changes. Stations work is being done first with trams being the slowest in many places as well buses.

There will be places where you will never achieve full accessibility due to the age of the building, type of building and location. I read some thing years ago that 15% of NYC subway station will always be non accessibility.

The Province may started this accessibility thing to the point it could face legal action if they try to back track under the Charter of Rights. We seen a few cases that went against TTC already.

City of Toronto has been dragging its feet on this issue by not funding TTC in the first place starting in the 90's with lowfloor streetcars.

Which is ludicrous. But I think the Premier and MTO deserve their share of the blame.

Metrolinx gave them an Investment Strategy, as they were asked to. The government said no. The Premier then appointed the Golden-Bedford panel, and they provided recommendations. The government said no.

Both of these would have provided predictable funding for these and other Big Move projects, and there wouldn't have been any onus on cities to kick in funding. Part of this debacle is a lack of political will.

Metrolinx gave them an Investment Strategy, as they were asked to. The government said no. The Premier then appointed the Golden-Bedford panel, and they provided recommendations. The government said no.

Both of these would have provided predictable funding for these and other Big Move projects, and there wouldn't have been any onus on cities to kick in funding. Part of this debacle is a lack of political will.[/QUOTE]

The Province has given cities plenty of time to comply and responsible government should have planned for these capital spends. Do not blame the province or someone else...put the blame squarely on the city. They had what...25 years? And they still can't get their act together and build some elevators.

The fire code with a second access requirement is even more of a burden (but also necessary at all locations). I hope they get going on these quickly for users safety. (I have an added concern with fire and mobility problems on trains...is there a procedure in place? To get them off the train? Up out of the subway?)

It should be a priority for the city not because of law but because of morality to get both of these projects done. The city spends hundreds of millions on other at risk groups but for some reason does not believe people with disabilities are a priority. Shameful. They have the same rights as everyone else to use the subway and not have to plan for days in advance for WheelTrans (which then shows up 1 hour late).

Certain subways stops could have so much added value with elevators and second exits (and building them in conjunction will have synergistic savings). One example would be Old Mill. Imagine the second entrance in the valley with direct access to the Humber valley park system. Add an elevator for both the disabled and for bikes. Would highlight the opportunity to utilize the park and reduce the amount of usage of High Park, get more use out of a stop (arguably the one with the prettiest view) and create accessibility at the station (which has a lot of use for weddings at the Old Mill).

"The Province has given cities plenty of time to comply and responsible government should have planned for these capital spends. Do not blame the province or someone else...put the blame squarely on the city. They had what...25 years? And they still can't get their act together and build some elevators."

You sound very definitive on this,
John Tory-like. But John has arrived in the mayor's office and suddenly governing seems a bit harder than when he was telling everyone we just needed a better manager. If this was a provincial priority, they could have tied the gas tax to accessibility expenditure. Instead they simply threw it in the operations pot. What signal does that send to city government?

Back