News   May 07, 2024
 156     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 598     1 
News   May 06, 2024
 1.2K     0 

Global Village Backpackers Redevelopment (460 King W, Allied REIT, 3s, Gensler)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I spent my first night in Toronto there as well. I was awakened in the middle of the night by a very tall Polish guy threatening to punch me because I was sleeping in his bed. Turns out they had double booked it, and they offered me a suite for no extra charge, but I was still shaken and barely slept at all. Fond, fond memories.

Pic taken Mar 8, 2015

7teg2Tz.jpg

From today's Allied REIT Press Release:

Allied has now leased approximately 3,000 square feet of space to The Well Joint Venture for use as a marketing centre with a commencement date in June, 2015. It has leased the balance of the space (approximately 16,900 square feet of GLA) to Konrad Group with a commencement date in October, 2015. In conjunction with the completion of restoration and lease-up of 460 King, Allied intends to advance the rezoning of 78 Spadina Avenue, its surface parking lot immediately to the north.

Last edited:
Konrad is a digital media/technology firm located on King nearby. I also heard the ground floor will be a cafe/restaurant.

It's tough to tell from those two photos, but the new windows look fantastic in person and completely change the building.

The buildings do look fantastic, but I'm surprised to see that their ground-floor storefronts have been little altered. A bit strange.

I'm sure that part will be coming soon enough. It's probably more involved than stripping paint off the old brick and installing new windows.

I don't know what they're going to do about the corner building because it's noticeably crooked. It looks like the building has shifted with the south side being lower than the north. Perhaps they can lift the building and reinforce it to prevent it from shifting again or maybe they'll just rebuild it in the same style.

The buildings do look fantastic, but I'm surprised to see that their ground-floor storefronts have been little altered. A bit strange.

I was told by a contractor on site that yes - all the external walls would be converted back to brick facades - did not get into details of whether there was original brick underneath that could be restored to, or whether rebuilding with salvaged brick would be required.

I was told by a contractor on site that yes - all the external walls would be converted back to brick facades - did not get into details of whether there was original brick underneath that could be restored to, or whether rebuilding with salvaged brick would be required.

Ah- amazing. Thanks for doing that, that's great news.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back