News   Jul 16, 2024
 271     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 484     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 605     2 

Global Village Backpackers Redevelopment (460 King W, Allied REIT, 3s, Gensler)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was told by a contractor on site that yes - all the external walls would be converted back to brick facades - did not get into details of whether there was original brick underneath that could be restored to, or whether rebuilding with salvaged brick would be required.

The rework of the non-brick areas of the outside walls has begun, starting with the wall on the west side, working from the south corner by the sidewalk, going back. The wall is being opened up removed inwards to the wood framing and insulation. There does not appear to be any brick in the wall at this point - whether or not there ever was any brick originally is hard to tell. Underneath the current surface layer of aluminum siding are multiple levels of fake brick patterned asphalt siding - all to be removed and replaced by new brick.

My assumption - this work on the exterior of the original building is being done now as it could not start until the rebuilding of the interior had reached a point where the structure was sufficiently sound for the exterior wall to be removed.

There does not appear to be any brick in the wall at this point - whether or not there ever was any brick originally is hard to tell.
According to Goad's Atlas, the corner building was always a wood structure. Seems weird, not to mention historically inaccurate, that they'd reclad it in brick. Are you sure that's the plan?

Here's some more info and historical photos: http://tayloronhistory.com/2012/03/31/history-of-the-backpackers-hotel-at-king-and-spadina/

Apparently the structure on the corner was originally built as a two-storey house, with the the third storey added later when it was converted to hotel use.

Last edited:
I'm still wondering how they're going to straighten the smaller building. It's sagging along the middle. One of the windows is even buckling.

Pic taken May 22, 2015

A little reveal.

Gone is the blue cladding.

JrJi95g.jpg

Thumbs upwards-ish.

There's no way they're doing that mock-Tudor nonsense ... is there?

Edit: That mock-Tudor nonsense may in fact be original.

20140121-Global-Falconer.jpg

Last edited:
I hope we get the tudor facade, we just don't see too much of it in non-residential downtown.

Gensler confirmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back