News   Sep 11, 2024
 344     0 
News   Sep 11, 2024
 468     0 

Fiendishlibrarian's Fantastic Foto Forum

• Thread starter fiendishlibrarian
  • Start date
Re: Bloor Danforth subway 1966

A big sale of George V Coronation mugs at Eatons?

End of the Boer war, actually. 1901.

End of the Boer war, actually. 1901.

What a difference a century makes...

Photo83.jpg

Toronto Star Building
f1257_s1057_it2037.jpg

f1244_it2057.jpg

f1244_it10093.jpg

Hemingway
f1244_it2111.jpg

f1244_it1096.jpg

Truly amazing. They have me mesmerized. It's like some parallel universe. Vaguely familiar and yet so much better. Thanks so much.

The Star building was a gem...hard to believe they went from that to the nasty HQs they have now. The old building really befit their status as Toronto's biggest newspaper (if not the best). I'd take their old building over FCP anyday. I wonder if there wasn't somewhere else FCP could've gone...

I'd take their old building over FCP anyday.

Me too. Those pics of the old Star building are gorgeous... I can't believe we lost it to that tired-looking stained white box.

The question to ask though is what was the state of the building on the inside. Would it have been adequate for the needs of today's companies? Old buildings like the Concourse Building, while nice on the outside, are hard to rent as Class A space. Hence the urge for their owners to tear them down. And that tired-looking stained white box is still an impressive building. Just needs a wash.

The question to ask though is what was the state of the building on the inside. Would it have been adequate for the needs of today's companies? Old buildings like the Concourse Building, while nice on the outside, are hard to rent as Class A space. Hence the urge for their owners to tear them down. And that tired-looking stained white box is still an impressive building. Just needs a wash.
I've often wondered why they haven't thought of the residential market WRT the Councourse Building. I'd live there!

Probably more lucrative over the longer term as office space. What I would do is move the office back to the parking garage and convert the Concourse Building to condos. I'd live here as well. The floor plates might be too small for the office tower however.

Man are you ever making a lot of people happy. Keep them coming!

I had never seen a picture of the "old" Union Station. I had no idea what it looked like.
One day I will have to visit the Archives.

What exactly happened to Union Station anyway??

Demolished right after the new one was opened in 1927. (You can see one of the arched train sheds being dismantled in one of the photos.)

Though it seems that the north administration building (on Front--the Richardsonian one with the tower) lasted a few years longer; it was still around in 1929 or so...

Back