News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 940     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 358     0 

Fate of the SRT

What do you believe should be done about the SRT?

• Total voters
^ With the way stations are spaced out on that circular (no stop at Milner for example - which a LRT would most certainly have) it's starting to look like there's a good possibility our orphan ART system will live to fight another day. Not a good sign.

Is it me, or does it sound like history repeating itself. Toronto and the TTC want a LRT, but seem to end up with a ICTS/ART instead. I wouldn't be surprise if Metrolinx is trying to get the Eglinton Crosstown to become a ICTS/ART line so it can connect it to the current SRT.

^ I think it's the TTC that wants the ICTS. Before Metrolinx came along there was no discussion about LRT as a potential SRT replacement. At least the Metrolinx Benefits Case Analysis recommends LRT.

^ I think it's the TTC that wants the ICTS. Before Metrolinx came along there was no discussion about LRT as a potential SRT replacement. At least the Metrolinx Benefits Case Analysis recommends LRT.

True, but the Metrolinx Benefits Case Analysis has lean heavily towards ICTS/ART if they wanted the line to be re-open quickly, which i think would be the case.

However on newer MKII ICTS/ART systems i haven't hear alot of complaints regarding weather problems(eg. Snow) on their JFK Line in New York, other than the automated ticket machines eating peoples money. The only problems i hear about the ICTS/ART are the MKI ICTS Trains and tracks built by UDTC in Vancover, and of course Toronto.

Hehe, yeah. To add to the hilarious intrigue, they now classify the SRT as a subway on the maps.

They are now saying that the demand from McCowan to Kennedy will be 10 000 riders...yet they still can't bring themselves to say that the Bloor-Danforth line should be extended.

people in this neighbourhood will be lucky... billions in LRT and SRT Subway at their door
shped_srt2.jpg

sheppard_SRT.jpg

Actually, if it is ART Mk II and they decide not to tunnel it, they might end up being miserable because of the noise and vibration. I don't see why they need to have a grade separated line from McCowan to Malvern. Just use LRT. Keep it at-grade on Progress and in the Hydro corridor (you might still need the tunnel under Sheppard).

SRT: obscenity is now a three letter word.

If anyone at the city bothered to crunch the numbers (a working brain + 4th grade math would be enough), they'd learn that they've projected ridership east of STC to go up over 500% - six times as many riders, even though the population in Malvern proper has already started dropping due to demographic change. What a farce!

Notice the irony in how the 'public consultation' was held at a site directly in the studied corridor but not located within a planning circle of a station...it's a decent walk from all the stuff on Milner to an actual station.

I have no problem with extending rapid transit in Scarborough, but I think they should be using subway to STC.

They made it quite clear at the meetings that the technology choice is still to be determined, but the plan is still for a grade separated extension. I'd rather have the extension mostly at grade.

They made it quite clear at the meetings that the technology choice is still to be determined, but the plan is still for a grade separated extension. I'd rather have the extension mostly at grade.

By looking at their station rendering, their pretty much set on a ICTS/ART MKII for the SRT.

But I'm interested in seeing how Bombardier ART MKII trains and track are different from the orginal UDTC ICTS MKI trains and tracks.

Even if they go for a fully grade-separate line, using LRT vehicles would yield fleet commonality, cheaper bulk orders, easier maintenance.

Is there any good reason to use MkII and stick to incompatible technologies?

Back