News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 976     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 366     0 

Fate of the SRT

What do you believe should be done about the SRT?

• Total voters
Even if they go for a fully grade-separate line, using LRT vehicles would yield fleet commonality, cheaper bulk orders, easier maintenance.

Is there any good reason to use MkII and stick to incompatible technologies?

It's even cheaper if the TTC(really Metrolinx) outsources responsibility to Bombardier:rolleyes:. Its one of the reason why ART MKII are not only being push on the SRT upgrades, but its what stalling the choice technology on the Eglinton Crosstown.

Well, I saw drawings of the Kingston Road corridor (south of Eglinton) with LRT, even though it is supposed to get BRT.

True, but as i said in my other post the reason the TTC/Metrolinx would use ART MKII is because they can outsources responsibility to Bombardier for maintenance.

But where did you see that photo?

I like that project and I thought the TTC was subway allergic..

Its a start, not as good as a Bloor-danforth extension but its still better than I hoped from the TTC.

They need to completely rebuild Kennedy Station from SCRATCH

If the transfer points were more friendly, they could even use the MARK II for Eglinton LRT

True, but as i said in my other post the reason the TTC/Metrolinx would use ART MKII is because they can outsources responsibility to Bombardier for maintenance.
Why would they need to do that? The entire rest of their fleet would be LRT already.

But where did you see that photo?
At a meeting. It was not a photo, but one of those planning diagrams. Black & white line art type.

Last edited:
Why would they need to do that? The entire rest of their fleet would be LRT already.

Because then you wouldn't have a union to deal with. Your right on that LRT is cheaper to build. But, then you have to factor in employee wages plus benefits for the drives and people who maintenance the LRTs.

It's what is the selling point behind the whole ART MKII is that TTC doesn't have to pay any staff to work driving the trains seeing that there "automated" and maintenance is done by a team from Bombardier.

I don't think the SRT upgrade is tied to Eglinton yet. For one, the stop spacing and funding clearly point to LRT on Eglinton. And I am willing to bet that the Metrolinx BCA will lean that way too. The SRT is clearly leaning towards ART MkII...the stop spacing, grade separation, cost all point towards ART, which is just not needed.

Because then you wouldn't have a union to deal with. Your right on that LRT is cheaper to build. But, then you have to factor in employee wages plus benefits for the drives and people who maintenance the LRTs.

Why is LRT cheaper to build? I mean, if it's built to the same standard as the ART? The LRVs are three times as expensive as subway cars per passenger carried. The ART vehicles are about the same or slightly more expensive than the subway cars.

It's what is the selling point behind the whole ART MKII is that TTC doesn't have to pay any staff to work driving the trains seeing that there "automated" and maintenance is done by a team from Bombardier.

One of the issues of the recent strike was that the TTC tried to take advantage of the warranty on new subway cars to get Bombardier to do the work, but the union objected and wanted TTC workers to be paid to do it instead. I'd be shocked if the TTC started to use drivers on the automated RT line if they haven't been using them for the last 24 years on the SRT.

Do you realize that the current Scarborough RT is also designed to run fully automated? The only reason they have drivers in every vehicle is due to union demands. The new vehicles aren't going to change that.

The slide show you linked to, on page 33 clearly says the technology is undetermined.

Why is LRT cheaper to build? I mean, if it's built to the same standard as the ART? The LRVs are three times as expensive as subway cars per passenger carried. The ART vehicles are about the same or slightly more expensive than the subway cars.

May I ask your source for this?

From the TTC presentation, ART cars are more expensive than LRT cars. Replacing the Scarborough fleet with Mk2 cars is estimated by the TTC to be almost $200 million for the vehicles alone.

I don't think the SRT upgrade is tied to Eglinton yet. For one, the stop spacing and funding clearly point to LRT on Eglinton. And I am willing to bet that the Metrolinx BCA will lean that way too. The SRT is clearly leaning towards ART MkII...the stop spacing, grade separation, cost all point towards ART, which is just not needed.

It was been said, the SRT will be MkIII.

Some of the land owners were not too happy with this plan. Even the ones living on Sheppard where the SRT will connect to the LRT.

The question was asked a number of times, "when will I have to move" with no real time frame given. I said between now and spring 2011 to move and make sure you get a good buck from TTC to help you move and setup.

A few business cannot not move over night to the point they will have to go out and get new equipment to set operation without down time lost.

The EA will be completed and approve with no indecation if it will be LRT or Mk at that time.

I would put the the whole thing underground south of the 401.

It would be nice to have a station at Marham Rd so riders would not have to tranfer twice to use the SRT.

I don't trust Metrolinx BCA, let alone TTC as to the what the final out should be for both lines.

Do you realize that the current Scarborough RT is also designed to run fully automated? The only reason they have drivers in every vehicle is due to union demands. The new vehicles aren't going to change that.

Depends on who you ask:rolleyes:, TTC Management blames the Unions, and the Unions blame the on-board computers that drives the trains.

Back