726     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 669     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 297     0 

Downtown Rapid Transit Expansion Study

Optimal solution should be...

• Total voters
well what is the draw of liberty village or the massive developments thats happening at NYCC? The Danforth and bloor has succesfully kept high rises away from its neighbourhood. There is no reason that bloor and the danforth couldnt have looked much like yonge. I am not suggesting the residents want that, infact I know they dont. However at least at pape and at Dundas west if it gets a station there will be major development in the area dispite past trends.

I think the Danorth is great the way it is and I do not even live anywhere near there, I wish St. Clair was more like that instead of what is happening wirh those condos. I do not understand way there is something wrong when residents that support an area are against high rise (more than 6 storey) condos. If developers had their way there would be condos throughout these major streets and then where would the retail, restaurants and (what people wanted when they bought these condos in these areas wanted). Look at Yorkville. They tore down all those Victorian shops for a boutique hotel, condo and a garden centre. Who actually thinks it looks better now? And its only a matter of time before the rest is turned over to developers. Then you will have all these condo dwellers looking at themselves because there will be nothing else on that street.

http://www.transit.toronto.on.ca/subway/5006.shtml

I think that Queen is the best root. considering we got the stations infilled.

no question, or anywhere between King and Queen.
On the other hand, to building a subway downtown but only to serve the rush hour commuters (such as on Front or even more south) is a stupid idea and a waste of money. The financial district is a dead city after 7pm and the entire weekends. A queen line is as multi-functional as it gets.

Those "waterfront communities" can wait. It is the real downtown that needs relief, not them.

no question, or anywhere between King and Queen.
On the other hand, to building a subway downtown but only to serve the rush hour commuters (such as on Front or even more south) is a stupid idea and a waste of money. The financial district is a dead city after 7pm and the entire weekends. A queen line is as multi-functional as it gets.

Those "waterfront communities" can wait. It is the real downtown that needs relief, not them.

Agreed. I love the waterfront, but if a Queen DRL is built that means a bus will be just 5 min away from the beach. Or the streetcar.

The waterfront could be easily served in the short term by a minor extension of the Exhibition loop to Dufferin to connect with the tracks on Duffferin and King and actually turning signal priority ON. A more complete waterfront rapid transit line should still be considered, however apart from this small route connection the DRL should have top priority.

Part of the DRL planning should also involve some forward thinking as to how to serve the increasing west-of-Yonge population in the old railway lands and Entertainment District. For these areas a more southerly route west of Yonge may be beneficial. This section of the DRL would not need to be built along with the eastern portion, but it would make sense to plan for western expansion through more populated areas.

http://www.transit.toronto.on.ca/subway/5006.shtml

I think that Queen is the best root. considering we got the stations infilled.

I agree with that

I can't believe anyone would use this as an argument for a Queen alignment. You have ONE half-built roughed-in station that will probably have to be completely redone anyway. You're not going to save much money if any from that one station.

There are many good reasons to use Queen I'm sure--this isn't one of them.

Last edited:
It would be interesting to see where this study is going, given the recent comments by the TTC CEO:

TTC chief: Subway expansion for downtown relief line has to be discussed ‘right now’

There's also a good report in a second National Post story:
‘We’re out of station’: Yonge Subway line desperately close to bursting

His comments made me wonder if he even knows about the study. After all, it has hardly been a priority for TTC to date, and Byford must still have a lot of "reading in" to do.

His comments made me wonder if he even knows about the study. After all, it has hardly been a priority for TTC to date, and Byford must still have a lot of "reading in" to do.

The study is just a business case and really being done as a "what do we do after 7-car trains and ATO on Yonge). It's not an EA and it will not include anything about funding strategies.

From prior experience, it can take many years to go from completed EA to funded line when provincial/federal governments are flush with cash (see Spadina line extension).

Even if Byford doesn't know about the study, it doesn't hurt to start governments thinking about how to fund the first $4B of it (Eastern portion + western leg to Exhibition station for Metrolinx Union Station goals).

The study into the DRT will probably be looking into the flow of transit users, from start to finish of a transit user. Wonder if they will look into the why. Is it because their destination is not on a Subway line? Or if it is, is it because of the ride itself. I take the streetcar from Dundas West station or Spadina station because I want a seat, the scenery along the route, or of course problems on the Subway itself (IE. There is no service today from Union to Bloor Stns due to scheduled track construction. Shuttle buses are running from Union to Rosedale.).

Back