News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 383     0 

Debate on the merits of the Scarborough Subway Extension

If that's it, I'm not sure how it's insulting. A joke about a town a distance away, being distant?

I've commented before on the topic, that the Line 2 extension to Scarborough that was being discussed in almost as long as is needed in the west to extend all the way from Kipling to Square One. I think we forget the distances that are involved. This distance from Yonge and Queen to the eastern edge of Scarborough is about the same from Yonge Street to Erin Mills Parkway.

The distance from Yonge/Queen to the edge of Oakville is about the same as Yonge/Queen to the corner of Finch and Meadowvale (near where some jokers want to extend Line 2, to get to the zoo). From there it's still over 4 km to the northeast corner of Scarborough at Steeles and Scarborough/Pickering Town Line.

I think we forget just how far Scarborough reaches from downtown compared to Etobicoke! I don't think a joke about that distance is insulting, compared to the many alternative - or Etobicrack.

Distance is one thing, Scarborough Town Centre is the MAIN heart of Scarborough and it resides in Toronto on the TTC which Mississauga is not. But anyway its all been discussed.

Its great you chose to defend people calling Scarborough residents Scarberians but not a peep about the poster who was offend with me calling Transit City "Transfer City". I've never heard Oakville, Markham, Vaughan, Mississauga, Whitby, etc spoken in the same manner. You're right tho there are much worse things said about Scarborough here and although not that big of deal I just wanted to make the point if we are going to ask for censorship over the little things, lets make it more meaningful atleast and go after things that are said about the people and not an old transit plan.

Last edited:
And there's still a phobia for elevated, this layout would also provide for express and local stop spacing on the subway at the same time:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthomaslay/35694193042

35694193042_beab4ab80b_b.jpg

And there's still a phobia for elevated, this layout would also provide for express and local stop spacing on the subway at the same time:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthomaslay/35694193042

35694193042_beab4ab80b_b.jpg

Trying to understand what you mean be phobia for elevated? There doesn't seem to be a phobia so much as there is now Smarttrack running through the area where it should be elevated. People would have been thrilled with the BDL extended on the old RT corridor.

Trying to understand what you mean be phobia for elevated? There doesn't seem to be a phobia so much as there is now Smarttrack running through the area where it should be elevated. People would have been thrilled with the BDL extended on the old RT corridor.
There's a phobia amongst city planners.

This train has left the station soooooooo long ago.

If anything, I'll right to city council to have Lawrence East station planned as a future add on next time planners goes back to city council.

Keep the pressure on the issue, especially that report saying that Lawrence East Smarttrack wouldn't be cost-effective

This train has left the station soooooooo long ago.

If anything, I'll right to city council to have Lawrence East station planned as a future add on next time planners goes back to city council.

Keep the pressure on the issue, especially that report saying that Lawrence East Smarttrack wouldn't be cost-effective
"Cost effective." All of a sudden we're concerned about cost effectiveness in Scarborough transit??? SSE is justified by its advocates on respect and equity for the people of Scarborough, not because its quantifiable benefits even remotely approach its costs.

Last edited:
Distance is one thing, Scarborough Town Centre is the MAIN heart of Scarborough and it resides in Toronto on the TTC which Mississauga is not. But anyway its all been discussed.

Its great you chose to defend people calling Scarborough residents Scarberians but not a peep about the poster who was offend with me calling Transit City "Transfer City". I've never heard Oakville, Markham, Vaughan, Mississauga, Whitby, etc spoken in the same manner. You're right tho there are much worse things said about Scarborough here and although not that big of deal I just wanted to make the point if we are going to ask for censorship over the little things, lets make it more meaningful atleast and go after things that are said about the people and not an old transit plan.

Most people in downtown Toronto scorn anyone north of St Clair, west of Bathurst and east of the Don River. Never will change.

But I think the long term growth and the transit demands are key to compare with other emerging pedestrian friendly neighbourhoods. I don't care about borders or how it is currently served...we need to look at long term plans and which destinations are required for the users. Tap on tap off can give us huge amounts of data on where users want to go (versus forcing them to a corridor that they don't want).

Markham downtown has a plan for 14,000 workers, 10,000 residents, retail and a university. All on a BRT line and a GO station and walkable. Looking at the master plan for Scarborough it does not feel pedestrian friendly for a large swath of the region (more akin to an office park). And hence I expect most of the users will drive.

Most people in downtown Toronto scorn anyone north of St Clair, west of Bathurst and east of the Don River. Never will change.

But I think the long term growth and the transit demands are key to compare with other emerging pedestrian friendly neighbourhoods. I don't care about borders or how it is currently served...we need to look at long term plans and which destinations are required for the users. Tap on tap off can give us huge amounts of data on where users want to go (versus forcing them to a corridor that they don't want).

Markham downtown has a plan for 14,000 workers, 10,000 residents, retail and a university. All on a BRT line and a GO station and walkable. Looking at the master plan for Scarborough it does not feel pedestrian friendly for a large swath of the region (more akin to an office park). And hence I expect most of the users will drive.

I fully agree. The subway connection is a very big step for Scarborough IMO but there are many other modifications to the master plan that need to be revisited as you stated. I fear that the City may be too large and divided to continually focus on these fine details required to prioritize transforming of it suburban Centres.

Whereas York region is all about creating urban-suburban centres as a priority as each City within has a commonality. Toronto suburban transformation will constantly butt heads with the "priority" struggle of a major City downtown flourishing off of previous investments/master plan from a previous generation. Hopefully the City follow along sooner or later.

Last edited:
"Cost effective." All of a sudden we're concerned about cost effectiveness in Scarborough transit??? SSE is justified by its advocates on respect and equity for the people of Scarborough, not because its quantifiable benefits even remotely approach its costs.

My favourite is all the 'fiscal-conservatives' who support it.

Tough on government fat, except when it comes to the SSE...

Back