News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.5K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 660     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.3K     1 

Debate on the merits of the Scarborough Subway Extension

And just another thing, the YRT outside of Viva is so poor as well. Scarborough has much better bus transit.

Exactly why the poorly grade separated LRT plan wasn't even close to an immediate need whatsoever. The one thing Scarborough has is an amazing, extensive bus network for a suburb. More so east of Kennedy where traffic is much lighter. Improved express bus (as we recently have seen), BRT (where required) to feed better connection in RER/subway upgrades was the main priority. Aside from the extensiveness Transit City was off the mark big time.

Saying that with the improved connection to SCC, RER, and express bus routes I have no major issue if the City decides to build the EERLT as their will be multiple effective options to move around the City. Is it completely necessary? No Will it negatively impact vehicle traffic? Yes. But there are positive socio economic impacts for many area. Keep in mind most UTSC riders coming from the west will take the subway to SCC and express Ellesmere (future BRT) over the multiple stop, partially mixed traffic EELRT

Exactly why the poorly grade separated LRT plan wasn't even close to an immediate need whatsoever. The one thing Scarborough has is an amazing, extensive bus network for a suburb. More so east of Kennedy where traffic is much lighter. Improved express bus (as we recently have seen), BRT (where required) to feed better connection in RER/subway upgrades was the main priority. Aside from the extensiveness Transit City was off the mark big time.

Saying that with the improved connection to SCC, RER, and express bus routes I have no major issue if the City decides to build the EERLT as their will be multiple effective options to move around the City. Is it completely necessary? No Will it negatively impact vehicle traffic? Yes. But there are positive socio economic impacts for many area. Keep in mind most UTSC riders coming from the west will take the subway to SCC and express Ellesmere (future BRT) over the multiple stop, partially mixed traffic EELRT
I think if they had stuck with the Crosstown and LRT combined we would not be here. And I'm glad you're on board for the EELRT. That is the one area that is probably farthest from the subway and Eglinton East and Kingston Rd need local revitalization.

I think if they had stuck with the Crosstown and LRT combined we would not be here. And I'm glad you're on board for the EELRT. That is the one area that is probably farthest from the subway and Eglinton East and Kingston Rd need local revitalization.
He is only on board with EELRT if it doesn't take away from his Scarborough Subway as in the city can afford both. However if he has to pick one because of financial constraints, then the money is going to the subway extension. There wont be money left. Therefore Eglinton East wont be built and his "support" is worthless.

What happened if the rough street transfer takes less time than the seamless bus terminal transfer?
Sometimes this gets you a short-cut!

For example, transferring from College station to the eastbound 506 streetcars, the signage directs you into College Park and out the door right at the stop.

But instead exiting out the sidewalk exit onto the southeast corner of College and Yonge is actually faster - even if you have to wait for a red light!

He is only on board with EELRT if it doesn't take away from his Scarborough Subway as in the city can afford both. However if he has to pick one because of financial constraints, then the money is going to the subway extension. There wont be money left. Therefore Eglinton East wont be built and his "support" is worthless.
EELRT is in early stages. Ford will be long gone by the time the shovels if they are. Wait and see.

EELRT is in early stages. Ford will be long gone by the time the shovels if they are. Wait and see.

The City will need to embark on the capital for this project on its own to keep this project moving. This line may see its near term fate decided by the upcoming subway upload. If the Province goes at subways alone with the Fed then the SSE levy could be used. Ive always seen this as a possibility, although not a guarantee in anyway. Ford will certainly not put his personal stamp on this line for the way its being implemented, but likely wont care too much so long as he controls the EWLRT (grade seperated), along with Sheppard, DRL(s) and Yonge for future votes.

Don't get me wrong the EERLT is amazing for revitalization but its not without some negative impacts to most effective form of transit on this side of the City with the lane removals and it will replace something buses for the most part will do just as well for commuters. Personally I feel the revitalization benefits outweigh the latter now that we are addressing the most pressing needs with subways and RER opening better access to the entire City from Central Scarborough. Overall there is far more support than opposition for this specific line, Malvern Town Centre addition even strengthened the support so not much for Ford to gain here, same cant be said for Sheppard corridor to SCC.

Last edited:
The City will need to embark on the capital for this project on its own to keep this project moving. This line may see its near term fate decided by the upcoming subway upload. If the Province goes at subways alone with the Fed then the SSE levy could be used. Ive always seen this as a possibility, although not a guarantee in anyway. Ford will certainly not put his personal stamp on this line for the way its being implemented, but likely wont care too much so long as he controls the EWLRT (grade seperated), along with Sheppard, DRL(s) and Yonge for future votes.

Don't get me wrong the EERLT is amazing for revitalization but its not without some negative impacts to most effective form of transit on this side of the City with the lane removals and it will replace something buses for the most part will do just as well for commuters. Personally I feel the revitalization benefits outweigh the latter now that we are addressing the most pressing needs with subways and RER opening better access to the entire City from Central Scarborough. Overall there is far more support than opposition for this specific line, Malvern Town Centre addition even strengthened the support so not much for Ford to gain here, same cant be said for Sheppard corridor to SCC.
If Eglinton (the 1st phase from Kennedy to Mount Dennis) were completely grade-separated, I could see Ford coming on board and extending it grade-separated both East and West. Now most of his motivation has been taken away, and it will be more important for Ford to focus on SSE, Sheppard Subway, and Yonge Extension. Maybe B-D extension West would also be the next priority. Toronto would have to pay for any of the streetcar and on-street LRT projects themselves.

If Eglinton (the 1st phase from Kennedy to Mount Dennis) were completely grade-separated, I could see Ford coming on board and extending it grade-separated both East and West. Now most of his motivation has been taken away, and it will be more important for Ford to focus on SSE, Sheppard Subway, and Yonge Extension. Maybe B-D extension West would also be the next priority. Toronto would have to pay for any of the streetcar and on-street LRT projects themselves.
Where is DRL?

Sheppard, EWLRT and possiblly DRL long will be priorities to get under design for future votes. All it will mean nothing without some shovels in the ground elsewhere by 2022. Should get interesting very soon

Last edited:
drl.png

Transit map:
YUS Line-yellow
Bloor Danforth-Green
Shepperd Subway-Purple
Sheppard LRT-Light Purple
Eglington LRT-Orange
Finch west LRT-Red
DRL-lime Green

Attachments

• drl.png