News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 383     0 

Debate on the merits of the Scarborough Subway Extension

LOL. Good ol' Scarborough punching :rolleyes:. This picture is certainly nothing like Scarborough Centre maybe a bit closer to Vaughan Metro Centre a few years ago if we want to stretch a comparable out of this nonsense. I hardly think anyone will be complaining 20 years from now in York Region or Toronto.

Torontonians really shouldn't be mocking any City which has foresight to build transit in advance. Even to empty fields.

Last edited:
^ That picture from China actually makes me think of what it'd be like to extend the subway system to Rouge Park.

^ That picture from China actually makes me think of what it'd be like to extend the subway system to Rouge Park.

I pictured the same. We can't build transit to our current residents in a timely manner, forget the major attractions and National park. The Bluffs would be a gold mine for the City if it was connected. Bluffers park is already a cash cow and packed with visitors when there is very poor access and almost no signage. A streetcar connection on Kingston Rd would be nice. But sadly not even discussed. Also the new trail under the Bluffs which is in design will be beautiful in the coming decades. The Rouge could also be a major boon in the future if they could provide a solid connection(s). The Zoo, well maybe not the same attraction level as the Rouge and Bluffs it would be beneficial to be connected and it almost made it under Transfer City until McGuinty got out his hacking blade.

Can't we sensor or ban comments which use the term "Transfer City."

Fair enough. Ill call it the "transfer laden, Transit City plan". But if we are censoring terms that offend there certainly a few far more insulting ones like "Scarberia" which is used here much more frequently and that should go in that bucket.

Last edited:
... a few far more insulting ones like "Scarberia".
I'm not ever quite sure why Scarberia is any more insulting than Scarborough. It's just shorter. What is a beria?

It's not like Etobicrack or North Yuck, or Brampistan.

Scarburro I might see there'd be an issue. Or Scarborrow. Or Scarboring. or Scarberk. Or Scarbork. or Scarbug. or Scarburgers. Or Scarperger. Or Scarpergers. Or Scarbote. Or Scarbroite. Or Scarabaeoid,

Perhaps it's time for me to scarper ... (would that make me a scarperer?)

Is the origins of Scarberia from Siberia - that Scarborough is so far away from anything meaningful?

I'm not ever quite sure why Scarberia is any more insulting than Scarborough. It's just shorter.

You can't be serious.

If the complaint about "Transfer City" is valid, then "Scarberia" is definitely worse. Censor all or none. Mods can decide.

You can't be serious.

If the complaint about "Transfer City" is valid, then "Scarberia" is definitely worse. Censor all or none. Mods can decide.

How about Scarlem?

I'm not ever quite sure why Scarberia is any more insulting than Scarborough. It's just shorter. What is a beria?

Scarburro I might see there'd be an issue. Or Scarborrow. Or Scarboring. or Scarberk. Or Scarbork. or Scarbug. or Scarburgers. Or Scarperger. Or Scarpergers. Or Scarbote. Or Scarbroite. Or Scarabaeoid,

I know you are having a bit of fun....and I think I have read enough of your posts to know you are not one of the people I am about to describe...so don't take this personally...just a bit of friendly advice.....having lived in Brampton most of my 55 years, I find the only people who actually refer to Brampton (west of 410) as Bramistan or (east of the 410) Bramaladesh are racists who want to point out that they know "the majority" of people in Brampton are of south asian decent (actually it is closer to 35% but it does not matter to those people) and that, somehow, having a city with a large south asian population is somehow a very bad thing.

How about Scarlem?
...or Scarlanta?

Is the origins of Scarberia from Siberia - that Scarborough is so far away from anything meaningful?
If that's it, I'm not sure how it's insulting. A joke about a town a distance away, being distant?

I've commented before on the topic, that the Line 2 extension to Scarborough that was being discussed in almost as long as is needed in the west to extend all the way from Kipling to Square One. I think we forget the distances that are involved. This distance from Yonge and Queen to the eastern edge of Scarborough is about the same from Yonge Street to Erin Mills Parkway.

The distance from Yonge/Queen to the edge of Oakville is about the same as Yonge/Queen to the corner of Finch and Meadowvale (near where some jokers want to extend Line 2, to get to the zoo). From there it's still over 4 km to the northeast corner of Scarborough at Steeles and Scarborough/Pickering Town Line.

I think we forget just how far Scarborough reaches from downtown compared to Etobicoke! I don't think a joke about that distance is insulting, compared to the many alternative - or Etobicrack.

Back