News   Apr 30, 2024
 14     0 
News   Apr 30, 2024
 104     1 
News   Apr 30, 2024
 637     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

One things for sure...I don't hear all this drama over Vaughan Station

Did the extension to Vaughan Station cost $2 billion?

Smarttrack cannibalizing SSE is completely dependant on fare structure. All indications are that it will not be fare-parity with the subway.

Ridership depends on where the buses go. If all the buses go to Agincourt and none to STC, the subway will have extremely low ridership even with a fare disparity.

I think the ridership numbers don't matter because every parking lot at the STC can be developed with high-rise condos. I suspect nobody is saying that publicly because it would seriously affect the lease rates at the mall.

Majority of SSE not paid for by TO either! (2/3rd other govts)

The Vaughan subway extension is a "feel good story" from our left media and otherwise just softly reported as news. The Scarborough subway extension receives 1000 x more negative vile than the billion dollar gas plant scandal. For the last 5 years the left media has turned out a weekly to bi-weekly attack article on why the SSE needs to be stopped.

If you only provide facts which suit an agenda some people believe it. The saga is even more bizarre now as they have forced Tory's hand into a 1 stop debacle out of fear of losing the Left's votes at City Hall. It's shameful the political games that have been played over integrating Scarborough into the City.

Tory really needs to drop the idea Smartrack. It was a cheeky idea that squeaked him in the Mayors but its time to give the jig up.. Its not the right solution to replace DRL or SSE. Tory is heading slowly toward an exit from the mayors seat next election from the chaos Smartrack has cast upon the current plans. A one stop extension has taken this debate to a whole new low as it gives the left ammo for their war & absolutely infuriated many hopeless Scarborough citizens.

They might need to put cow-proof fences and gates around the subway station, when they extend Line 2 to the Scarborough Town Centre.

3304732101_da27750267_b.jpg

f1244_it71822.jpg

Not a single cow got through the Osgoode Hall fence. They might need such a fence around the Scarborough Town Centre Station.

Well the Donkey's are all at City Hall so no fenced required for them

But if it was needed im sure there we be a long debate to make it out of cheap material, with lots of gaps, and run it through a poorly designed area far away from the cows

There's definitely waaaaaaay more anti-SSE vitriol coming from places like The Star versus the lack of same for the TYSSE. Even the gas plant thing doesn't get as much coverage. I'd have to agree that it feels like there's an agenda from The Star on this point. The Globe and Mail, the Sun and the National Post seem more balanced. Which is kinda weird to say, since the Star is usually pretty decent. Although I think the Sun had some NIMBY pandering about SSE recently, so they're not completely out of the woods on that.

There's definitely waaaaaaay more anti-SSE vitriol coming from places like The Star versus the lack of same for the TYSSE. Even the gas plant thing doesn't get as much coverage. I'd have to agree that it feels like there's an agenda from The Star on this point. The Globe and Mail, the Sun and the National Post seem more balanced. Which is kinda weird to say, since the Star is usually pretty decent. Although I think the Sun had some NIMBY pandering about SSE recently, so they're not completely out of the woods on that.

The Star/Metroland media & the Sun media are both complete Political trash publications.

The Sun doesn't really support any transportation building because their Political mantra has always been taxes low.
The Star supports transit building but only really wants to invest in the areas where their richest supporters are stashing their capital.

Scarborough has NO voice Politically in the media & when they should have been treated like a transit priority with funded, properly designed & fairly integrated transit plan. They were instead shamelessly attacked by this Political publication repeatedly.

This is completely shameful but is a clear sign of the economic class divide the City has developed from investing in quality infrastructure in only specific areas in the past. It wouldn't be a problem if the City growth kept moving to grow in a fair manner. But for Political reasons It didn't & now the Beast needs more and the Least is still waiting or being offered scraps.

Outsiders to don't see this very easily. I was even a Star reader when I moved here 7 years ago as they seemed "nicer" but the reality is thats just a storefront covering up the ugly Politics in the back. Now I have to read both publications and try to filter out the bias to get a balanced report.

Toronto needs to be better than this, be more inclusive & fight to build together

Last edited:
Um, isn't it better to oppose something before it's built rather than be snarky when most of the money has been spent already?

Edit: also, there's nothing wrong with the subway going to Steeles. It's north of there the question mark should have been on.

Um, isn't it better to oppose something before it's built rather than be snarky when most of the money has been spent already?

Edit: also, there's nothing wrong with the subway going to Steeles. It's north of there the question mark should have been on.

Honestly, I find it strange that Steeles is considered Toronto's northern boundary, given the way the land is configured. It should be the 407 instead of some arbitrary street. But I digress.

I do see merit in extending it to the 407 or the 7. The subway should extend as far north as a significant east-west rapid transit corridor, in the interest of creating an integrated rapid transit network for the GTHA.

Steeles is the municipal boundary of Toronto - it predates the existence of the 407 (in the sense that Steeles was also the northern border for North York, Etobicoke, and Scarborough). The 407 would be the arbitrary street in this case.

Steeles is the municipal boundary of Toronto - it predates the existence of the 407 (in the sense that Steeles was also the northern border for North York, Etobicoke, and Scarborough). The 407 would be the arbitrary street in this case.

I'm aware that the border pre-dates the 407, but the 407 would be a more logical border, would it not? It's a huge corridor separating neighbourhoods, as opposed to just being the other side of a municipal street.

Back