News   May 10, 2024
 4     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 539     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 835     1 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

I'm looking forward to seeing how inefficient the TTC will be at using their buses for this upcoming "service". Fully expecting that this replacement bus service will be a gongshow once the official changes are put in place.
It'll depend IF Transportation Services provides service for transportation or only for the movement of the automobile. "Transportation" refers to the movement of people, animals and goods from one place to the other. Since the buses carry much more people than the automobile, they should give priority to the buses.

confirmed Test Trains tomorrow

1023377b-8071-4cfc-b75e-5aee66f3e372.jpeg

That's a wrap for the RT ladies and gentlemen. If they need another couple of weeks that will bring us into ~mid-September before they even find what caused the issue, let alone remediating any of the issues. With the RT already scheduled to be decommissioned in November, there's no point in running it for a few weeks just to have it shutdown again.

Why would they be stalling for time? What would they achieve by doing so?

If they wanted to be rid of the line, they could surely just declare it finished and close up shop, no? You don't need to keep it in existential limbo to complete the investigation.

Last edited:
Why would they be stalling for time? What would they achieve by doing so?

If they wanted to be rid of the line, they could surely just declare it finished and close up shop, no? You don't need to keep it in existential limbo to complete the investigation.
Politics, Covering their A*s*s, trial running the busses

Its a bit hard to outright kill the Scarborough RT right now because people can argue, hey let us use the train for another 3 months. So you just slowroll the investigation.

Honestly the TTC got a bit lucky with the derailment. If the trains were actually allowed to keep running until November, a more serious accident might've gotten someone killed.

Perhaps. But I don't get the impression current TTC management cares very much about their PR image, considering how many anti-customer, anti-common sense things they've instituted under Leary's watch. To that end, I would not see it being very difficult for them to tell Scarborough that the RT is done, and to kick rocks.

Perhaps. But I don't get the impression current TTC management cares very much about their PR image, considering how many anti-customer, anti-common sense things they've instituted under Leary's watch. To that end, I would not see it being very difficult for them to tell Scarborough that the RT is done, and to kick rocks.
TTC management might not care about their customer image, but they are answerable to city council. And councilors might get pissed if the TTC tells them to kick rocks.

Similar to the folks in the former City of York and former City of Etobicoke. There were suggestions that Eglinton West be a BRT, but both cities opposed it, wanting subways, subways, subways. Got no rapid transit instead, until they started building the Crosstown LRT.
Etobicoke wasn’t going to get the Eglinton subway cause there’s no voice for them until a champion came along with a huge microphone and funding.

Not everything is going to get a champion. The city itself can’t get anything built.

TTC hunts for Scarborough solutions as RT remains out of service

Key excerpts (won't paste it all because I think the Star deserves your subscription money):

The investigation into what caused the last car on a southbound Scarborough Rapid Transit train to break free on July 24, sending five people to hospital with minor injuries, will take another couple of weeks, TTC spokesperson Stuart Green said Wednesday.

[...]

In the meantime, the city is behaving as if the transit line will not reopen, Mayor Olivia Chow told the Star on Tuesday, and is working to expedite measures approved by council earlier this year to make replacement buses move more quickly once the RT is no longer in service.

[...]

“I’ve said very clearly that I want it as if we are not starting (the RT) again,” Chow said. “The signal priority and the painted lanes are being planned right now.”

[...]

Meanwhile, Chow said work is being done to design the busway — the planned replacement for the RT until the Scarborough subway extension is complete in 2030. The busway will allow buses to move in their own lane along the old RT’s right-of-way, uninterrupted by cars or signals, saving commuters 20 minutes, Chow said. The fate of that project has been up in the air due to the city’s budget crunch.

Chow hopes the $55 million needed to build the busway, which was a central part of her mayoral campaign this spring, will come from the province. She is hoping to meet Premier Doug Ford and his ministers by the end of the month.

But if the province doesn’t step up, the cash-strapped city will find a way to fund it, Chow said.

“It’s going to happen. We will make it happen.”

Maybe if they reopen Line 3, they should extend running of the trains for the length of time that the trains were out of service? If Line 3 is out-of-service since July 24th, lets say for a month, then extend the closed date of November 18, 2023 by a month to December 18, 2023? Put some duct tape on them, some superglue, and some buggy cords on them, and continue running it.

In the meantime, the TTC could lease out their spare buses to Durham Region, who had to cancel 10 of their bus routes because of their fire on Wednesday. See link.

Maybe if they reopen Line 3, they should extend running of the trains for the length of time that the trains were out of service? If Line 3 is out-of-service since July 24th, lets say for a month, then extend the closed date of November 18, 2023 by a month to December 18, 2023? Put some duct tape on them, some superglue, and some buggy cords on them, and continue running it.

In the meantime, the TTC could lease out their spare buses to Durham Region, who had to cancel 10 of their bus routes because of their fire on Wednesday. See link.

I have a feeling that the November close date was chosen bacause it's just before the first major snowfall (which in Toronto is usually around late November or so). They probably don't want to risk the snow posing problems.

Not happening.

And they've already tried the duct tape method with the SRT vehicles before they sent them for a brief little overhaul in NY. Duct tape cant even hold the thing together anymore.

Back