News   May 10, 2024
 145     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 609     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 876     1 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

Is there another modern example of a city shutting down a rapid transit line for at least seven years while a replacement is built? Not to mention there are only four metro lines here and virtually no redundancy, in the largest city in the country. We won't even get back to four until 2030.

This is a tragedy for Scarborough and the RT's short lifespan shouldn't have been treated as a foregone conclusion, with or without its proposed LRT conversion or subway replacement. Just look at where that thinking has landed us.

The city needs to stop acting like running a planned 70 buses an hour is going to be anything more than a joke. I doubt that busway will happen particularly quickly, either.

Is there another modern example of a city shutting down a rapid transit line for at least seven years while a replacement is built? Not to mention there are only four metro lines here and virtually no redundancy, in the largest city in the country. We won't even get back to four until 2030.

This is a tragedy for Scarborough and the RT's short lifespan shouldn't have been treated as a foregone conclusion, with or without its proposed LRT conversion or subway replacement. Just look at where that thinking has landed us.

The city needs to stop acting like running a planned 70 buses an hour is going to be anything more than a joke. I doubt that busway will happen particularly quickly, either.
When you have a tight schedule, defer funding, then you change plans to something far more extensive this was all but inevitable.

Closest would be the O-Train conversion.

New TTC chair doesn't anticipate Scarborough RT returning to service following derailment​

Toronto residents may have seen the last of the Scarborough Rapid Transit (SRT), according to the newly appointed chair of the TTC board.

Speaking to CP24 on Friday, Coun. Jamaal Myers said he is "operating under the assumption that the SRT line…will not be operating again because of the expense to fix it."

New TTC chair doesn't anticipate Scarborough RT returning to service following derailment​

Toronto residents may have seen the last of the Scarborough Rapid Transit (SRT), according to the newly appointed chair of the TTC board.

Speaking to CP24 on Friday, Coun. Jamaal Myers said he is "operating under the assumption that the SRT line…will not be operating again because of the expense to fix it."

This makes sense and confirms what Steve Munro heard which is the decision has already been made not to restore it

They have to tear out the old RT infrastructure and design and build the new bus infrastructure.

I still have trouble picturing how buses will successfully use such a narrow and elevated right of way, even with the tracks gone and pavement put down. They don't run on rails, they have to be steered by a human. For a single bus it's enough width, but for two passing each other...

I should really just hunt down and peek at the plans, perhaps it's obvious once you see it.

They aren't going to use the elevated portion, just the ground-level segment running along the GO tracks. That said, the elevated structure is wide enough to be retrofitted as guided busway, but I assume they concluded it wasn't very practical or cost effective to do so.

They aren't going to use the elevated portion, just the ground-level segment running along the GO tracks. That said, the elevated structure is wide enough to be retrofitted as guided busway, but I assume they concluded it wasn't very practical or cost effective to do so.
If they use "guided buses", they can use the converted right-of-way. But since WE didn't think of it, we can't use them.

If they don't go with "guided buses", the right-of-way needs to be widened to at least the width of an expressway lane (in each direction). The non-guided buses will wonder back and forth in the lane, so needs the extra space.

Last edited:
If they use "guided buses", they can use the converted right-of-way. But since WE didn't think of it, we can't use them.

If they don't go with "guided buses", the right-of-way needs to be widened to at least the width of an expressway lane (in each direction). The non-guided buses will wonder back and forth in the lane, so needs the extra space.
Nice idea but they obviously don't work in snow.

Nice idea but they obviously don't work in snow.
Heated guideways, that turn on only when it snows. After a snowfall, turns off. Can be done automatically. As the buses pass over, they would crush and melt the snow.
1692557002833.png
From link.

1692557288340.png

Last edited:

Back