News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 452     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

Funny watching all the pro-Ford comments responding to DMW's fiscal conservative statement. They're just shifting the blame of vote-buying onto the provincial Liberals. I think they're still trying to comprehend that Ford and the Liberals are actually kind of on the same side this time.

What a horrible and pathetic situation.

The LRT is the best option here, but busing people for 4 years is a terrible idea and, in my opinion, an unacceptable compromise.

Taking construction at such a slow pace is clearly discrimination against Scarborough transit users. We wouldn't entirely close the Gardiner for 4 years for anything. Throwing people into slow unreliable buses for that long is cruel and encourages people to drive instead.

I agree but given that there's no funding in place, no planning done, nothing but an idea for a subway, it's a very real possibility that Scarborough will be riding those buses for way more than 4 years unless substantial investment is made in prolonging the life of the RT way beyond what was planned.

Indeed, that's why this is a horrible situation.

It looks like the subway option is going to pass, and other infrastructure and improvements will be sacrificed to build this poorly designed alternative at an exorbitant price. Subway stations have next to no development potential either.

Even if no shovel hits the ground ever, Ford will get the credit for getting Scarborough a subway. Atrocious.

I agree but given that there's no funding in place, no planning done, nothing but an idea for a subway, it's a very real possibility that Scarborough will be riding those buses for way more than 4 years unless substantial investment is made in prolonging the life of the RT way beyond what was planned.

Byford has been saying all day that the RT could remain running until 2023 (when the Subway would be expected to come on line)

I do have to say - spending 100M just to tide the RT to subway transition is pretty awful - what percentage of city wide property tax increase is that mathematically? And that's not operating cost - it's capital spending with basically nothing to show at the end.

AoD

So much for commitment:

Don Peat ‏@reporterdonpeat 33s
Mayor Ford's motion wants staff to find a way to reduce or eliminate the subway tax increase in 2014 and to 0.25% in future years #TOpoli

Filip:

Sorry, I should have given you the direct URL:

http://www.rogerstv.com/page.aspx?lid=237&rid=16&sid=1030&lve=39534

bobbob911:

Daniel Dale ‏@ddale8 4s
His recommendation is the city manager's recommendation - between 1.1% and 2.4% over three years. Not the 0.25%x4 Ford had pushed.

AoD

Last edited:

Back