News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 451     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

What's this about Flaherty pledging $330MM for the subway? Are they moving funds from the Sheppard LRT? This could be epic!

Pledging $330 Million is dumb. Moving it from Sheppard is even dumber. I'm hoping what you're saying isn't true.

anyways, even if it is true, this may be what kills the Scarb subway. I can't see Council voting to kill the SELRT for this. A blessing in disguise?

Is council going to be making a definitive vote on this file today?

Definitive vote?!
I get it.
Good one!

Ford claiming that the LRT will run in the middle of a street, and that it will be the same as St. Clair.

Oh, my. That would be - lemme guess - a disaster.

I've never been one to endorse, you know, autocratic dictatorships, but Toronto City Council (2010-2014) is making me seriously reconsider. Just the absolute worst of democracy, day in day out.

I'd like to see a side-by-side comparison of density maps overlaid with transit lines of Toronto and several other cities with subways/LRTs. I think that would easily demonstrate how nutty this debate is for people with poor verbal reasoning skills.

Watching Ford debate this motion is just depressing. The guy has absolutely no idea what he's doing. He's had almost three years to come up with a rational transit policy since his initial back-of-the-napkin "transportation city" plan put out in the heat of the 2010 mayoral campaign. His position now is still as reactionary, unplanned, and sound bite driven as ever.

It will be even more depressing if this subway extension sinks both the Scarborough LRT and the Sheppard East LRT.

Thanks for the clarification. At this point maybe we should go back to the Eglinton-SRT combo - or at least make sure Kennedy is designed in a way that would not prevent future grade separation.

AoD

I have said before, the 2 problems with the LRT plan are the closure time and the transfer.

Closure

With the subway, it is nearly 0.
With the LRT, it is 3 or 4 years.
With the use of SkyTrain, it would be 8 months.

How can the LRT closure be reduced? What are the critical tasks leading to this closure; the Kennedy Station rebuild, reconfiguration of other stations, the Ellesmere curve/tunnel, the modification of tracks, the overhead wiring, signals, etc?

- Could a temporary “Kennedy†station be built just north of Eglinton with access to the subway? A bit of a walk, but probably better than shuttle buses.
- Could they close STC Station and make modifications while trains run through without stopping. It would be a bit of a walk from STC to McCowan, but still maybe better than shuttle buses. If the extension is built to Malvern, the number of buses coming to STC may be less and perhaps the few that remain could access a temporary bus area near McCowan.
- I thought about switching the Ellesmere curve/tunnel to going over the GO corridor instead of under, but it could not go under the bridge at Ellesmere and still make it over the GO tracks with adequate clearance.

I think there may be a few options to explore to still use LRT, but shorten the closure time. It may cost a bit more, but the option on the table is to spend $1B on the subway.

Transfer

With the subway, there would be no transfer.
With the current LRT plan, there is a forced transfer. This is required because the Eglinton LRT between Don Mills and Kennedy is in the median and does not have the capacity to carry riders from STC who would stay on, plus the local riders.
With the use of SkyTrain, Eglinton would have to be grade-separated and no transfer would be required.

How can the transfer be eliminated?

- Elevate the Eglinton portion (regardless of technology).
- Have SRT connected to ECLRT with Eglinton underground, but the cost would be in the order of $2B.
- Have one branch go from Malvern to Lawrence East to Kennedy to Don Mills (DRL) to Yonge (YUS), while another branch goes from Malvern to Lawrence East to the Hydro corridor to Flemingdon (DRL) – but this again seems pretty pricy.
- Have the subway extended to Sheppard / McCowan AND the SRT built from Midland to Malvern. This eliminates the transfer for many but still provides access to more. This would be a costly plan as well.

I can’t think of another good way to eliminate the transfer other than continuing the subway, or elevating Eglinton.

Nice, it is becoming clear that this will kill the SLRT for the first time today.

That's what I'm understanding too.

I should watch more often. You can't pay for entertainment like this, haha

I truly thought the subway would pass but man oh man...Rob Ford might kill it himself... Matlow was very disrespectful but Rob Ford doesn't know anything about the SRT...

Pledging $330 Million is dumb. Moving it from Sheppard is even dumber. I'm hoping what you're saying isn't true.

anyways, even if it is true, this may be what kills the Scarb subway. I can't see Council voting to kill the SELRT for this. A blessing in disguise?

The SELRT is a colossal mistake. Move the funds to the BD extension (an extension worth funding given the ridership and will of the citizens of Scarborough) and run a BRT from Don Mills, linking with the new extension terminal out to the eastern reaches of Scarborough.

No need to fund an LRT in a corridor that does not have nearly the ridership to even warrant it. This is getting ridiculous. I don't understand the support for the SELRT. It's a mistake, a big one.

Back