News   Jun 14, 2024
 2.4K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.7K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 851     0 

Church-Wellesley Village

That business crashed years ago.

Huh? The chain crashed or the location that used to be at the corner of Wellesley and Church? I assume it (the store) did fine for quite awhile since it was there for so long, but eventually either escalating rent chased it out (as it has so many other businesses) or the increased competition the Body Shop (the chain) was facing at the time did it in. I don't shop there any more, but I understand from what I've read that the chain is doing better than it was (also, has new owners these past few years). Presumably, the numbers for the new location work and the area has the demographics the chain is seeking. I don't know if it will survive or not - presumably you have access to information on the old store or the new store that we don't that makes you confident to make such a prediction.

From what I hear, the old Body Shop location at Church and Wellesley closed because of an ending franchise agreement, not due to low sales. They're reopening on Church Street due to customer demand from residents in The Village, and also to make up for a lost location on Bloor Street which closed last year.

Last edited:
I don't know if it was a factor, but if memory serves me correctly (and it's quite possible it doesn't!) the previous Body Shop location got hit with an armed robbery not long before the shop closed its doors.

Will be there Oct. 16-20, haven't been since May long weekend. Any new, good places to eat in the Village?

Thanks, Jeff

I'll get shot for being "pretentious" on this forum, but Smith just north of Wellesley is great for brunch. Hair Of The Dog has always been one of my favorites for dinner and drinks. As for the pub corner (Church/Maitland), my choice is the newly renovated Firkin.

I don't get what people like about Hair of the Dog. My food experiences there have been awful! Even uncooked chicken once.

I don't get what people like about Hair of the Dog. My food experiences there have been awful! Even uncooked chicken once.

I had an awful experience there last year, with a very undercooked burger. My friend kept convincing me to go back and give it another try, and it looks like things have turned around in the last year. Great fish/chips and butter chicken grilled cheese.

I've been half a dozen times, it was always good. Anything new though? What about where the Vic and the Italian place was, or the garage at C&M?

The restaurant that replaced the Vic is called House Maison. I haven't been since late summer, but it's not bad. A bit overpriced for what you get in my opinion, but pretty good food.

Wasn't too impressed by Garage when I went. And finally, the Church Bistro which replaced the amazing Church Street Diner is awful.

I had an awful experience there last year, with a very undercooked burger. My friend kept convincing me to go back and give it another try, and it looks like things have turned around in the last year. Great fish/chips and butter chicken grilled cheese.
Maybe I'll have to give it another try.

I had an awful experience there last year, with a very undercooked burger. My friend kept convincing me to go back and give it another try, and it looks like things have turned around in the last year.

I wouldn't say they've turned things around so much as they're consistently inconsistent. Been that way for years. When they're good, they're great. But when they're not, well...

Back